Oil in the Stator Cover

33 replies to this topic
  • slopez22

Posted February 28, 2008 - 05:58 AM

OK so here I am NO MECHANIC. But I do my own service and I must of screwed something up. I few weeks ago, I hit a small jump in some sand pits, when I came down I landed in some old barbed wire. :smirk: It wrapped around the wheel, so we had to turn the bike upside down to cut it and get it out. But I didnt notice any oil until I changed it and noticed some oil seeping from the stator cover. I have cleaned it out, then ran it some it seeped some more in there. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks for the help!
Brian

• porterdog

Posted February 28, 2008 - 08:21 AM

Whether or not you have an issue depends on the amount of oil you found in there. If a bunch came out, like the cavity was 1/4 full or more, that's an issue I'd say and you need a new seal where the shaft comes out the case.

If it's just a small amount, a spoonfull or two, that's less of an issue. The hot/cold/hot/cold of normal operation sometimes allows a pressure drop in there which can pull oil past the seal. Some company makes a little vent tube to keep the pressure equal; dunno if it's worth it or not.

• martinfan30

Posted February 28, 2008 - 08:48 AM

I think this is kind of normal, my 650L has done it since new.

• ToXicD

Posted February 28, 2008 - 08:49 AM

summers racing components sells them.

https://secure.srcin...Cat_Selected=16

• Ryanthegreat1

Posted February 28, 2008 - 09:04 AM

WAIT! What bike are we talking about here?

XR650R = Should have no oil in the stator cover as it is sealed from the rest of the crank case as Porterdog said.

XR650L = Yes you will find oil in the stator cover as it is not sealed from the rest of the crank, in fact it needs oil there to lube the starter gears and one way bearing on the starter ring gear. As Martinfan30 described.

• Denn10

Posted February 28, 2008 - 09:12 AM

barb wire in your wheel and turning over wont affect your issue, what bike like said? Even if you have a R and its a tiny amount it may not be a critical thing to fix right this moment. My YZ250 has has a tiny leak on the ignition side for a while but its prolly less that a teaspoon, the crank shaft comes thru the case there and the seal needs replaced. Its so little that i dont worry about it but yours may be different

WELCOME TO TT!!!!

• Ryanthegreat1

Posted February 28, 2008 - 09:12 AM

summers racing components sells them.

https://secure.srcin...Cat_Selected=16

That to me looks like one could just take the red straw from a can of WD-40 and insert it between the wires on that grommet. If you are careful you can even get the stator cover off without tearing the gasket and needing a replacement.

That will be $14.95, you can send it to my paypal. :smirk:

• Agent2

Posted February 28, 2008 - 09:30 AM

That to me looks like one could just take the red straw from a can of WD-40 and insert it between the wires on that grommet.

I looked at the photo on the website and it sure looks like that idea would work. Has anyone tried this homemade mod? Wondering if the squeeze idea would work or is there enough room on the grommet to drill a small hole for the tube?
BTW the check is in the mail - should be there any day.

• ToXicD

Posted February 28, 2008 - 09:43 AM

easiest and cheapest thing to do would be to run down the pharmacy and get a hyperdermic needle to push through the rubber grommet. yes it would look kinda redneck but it would work. i am not sure of the laws but i think most states have outlawed needles without a script, but you can still buy them at feed stores and i think the grocery store for injecting turkeys with butter and oil.

• slopez22

Posted February 28, 2008 - 09:45 AM

:smirk:
Alright, sorry for not putting in all the info. It is a 2000 XR650R, the oil in the stator cover should not be there, as it has not been there before (put the ricky stator stator in). I changed the oil after I rode and got the barbed wire wraped in it. Maybe I put too much oil in it and blew the seal? I have changed the oil before but obviously didnt have this problem. I left the cover off last night took brake clean to the housing and flywheel, as of this morning no oil has gotten dripped out. Possibly no oil passes unless the engine is running and the oil is under preasure?
And THANK YOU for all the responses.
Brian

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpmeister

Posted February 28, 2008 - 10:53 AM

Usually in these year bikes, if you put too much oil in, it can also blow out the countershaft seal. I know mine did about 3 times before Honda made a new seal that fixed the problem. However, it can still do it if you overfill it.

• Towlieee

Posted February 28, 2008 - 10:55 AM

Usually in these year bikes, if you put too much oil in, it can also blow out the countershaft seal. I know mine did about 3 times before Honda made a new seal that fixed the problem. However, it can still do it if you overfill it.

Also if any of your crank case vents are plugged, that will blow seals out real fast :smirk:

• slopez22

Posted February 28, 2008 - 11:24 AM

what does it take to relace the countershaft seal?

• Denn10

Posted February 28, 2008 - 12:31 PM

Alright, sorry for not putting in all the info. It is a 2000 XR650R, the oil in the stator cover should not be there, as it has not been there before (put the ricky stator stator in). I changed the oil after I rode and got the barbed wire wraped in it. Maybe I put too much oil in it and blew the seal? I have changed the oil before but obviously didnt have this problem. I left the cover off last night took brake clean to the housing and flywheel, as of this morning no oil has gotten dripped out. Possibly no oil passes unless the engine is running and the oil is under preasure?
And THANK YOU for all the responses.
Brian

yeah you will have to have it running and such to see and oil, if it comes out sitting it will DUMP when running.

• slopez22

Posted February 29, 2008 - 05:44 AM

does anyone know what it takes to replace the seal?

• Denn10

Posted February 29, 2008 - 06:48 AM

yeah pretty much gotta tear into it LOL not sure what your asking but you gotta take the stuff in the way out and replace that seal. Have i done one on your bike NO but its a basic thing. Gotta get to the seal thats about it.

So exactly how much oil are you leaking just a little bit right? I would recommend this, clean everything up really good and check your oil level and get it right at the full and go for a ride, not just a 5 minute put around the block. When you get back take the cover off and see how much oil is out so you can evaluate if its time to do it right now or not.

• TTinkerbelllll

Posted February 29, 2008 - 02:38 PM

yeah pretty much gotta tear into it LOL not sure what your asking but you gotta take the stuff in the way out and replace that seal. Have i done one on your bike NO but its a basic thing.

Great instructions. I'm sure he'll be able to fix anything with your help Denn.:smirk:

• slopez22

Posted February 29, 2008 - 02:45 PM

Tinkerbell I thought the same thing, I was looking for a response such as..
oh yeah. you will have to remove the motor and split the cases...
or..
oh yeah. you will have to remove the fly wheel, and pick out the seal, then replace it. Since I am "no" mechanic, as stated to begin with, I have never tore into that far. So that is what I was looking for, I will just check into it myself.
Brian

• TTinkerbelllll

Posted February 29, 2008 - 03:08 PM

Glad you agree.....

I have never done it before either.........but I think I will offer advice.
You remove the hoohaw nubbins in conjunction with the dilopilator valve - then remove the smooze bearing while measuring the escaping oil fragmentation.

• Agent2

Posted February 29, 2008 - 03:12 PM

Don't know if you have the Honda service manual, if not here is a downloadable version -.http://www.xr650r.us/ Hopefully it can guide you in replacing the seal.
As for Denns reply, this is a website where, hopefully, we can all get along and give help to each other. Maybe it wasen't the answer you were looking for, but the bottom line is that he was trying to help. Common courtesy goes a long way.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.