Blown outboard water pump seal, heres a tip

8 replies to this topic
  • Polar_Bus

Posted February 28, 2008 - 05:18 AM

Tried to do some ice riding and my day was cut WAY short. I didn't even get my bike off the truck, I started it, and let it warm up for a few min, and I see the imfamous "green pool" below the water pump.

I was told by my long time vet YZ-F bud that its an occurance with the YZ-F's. He also went on to give me a tip to pack grease up inside the weep hole cavity of the w/p cover. What happens is grit backs up into the housing entering from the weep hole. (especially if you do a lot of wet or mud riding), the grit wipes out the seal, and also can groove the shaft. The grease keeps out the grit, and will still allow antifreeze pressure to exit out the hole if you blow the seal. Hope this helps,

• ben_suhard

Posted February 28, 2008 - 05:35 AM

Thanks for the "heads up!". Interesting.

• 642MX

Posted February 28, 2008 - 07:51 AM

I would think that the grease would attract dust and dirt. The water pump leak is mostly caused by the seal grooving the shaft, nothing really can prevent this. I change my coolant once a year (and knock on wood) my waterpump seals and shaft are originals.

• GCannon

Posted February 28, 2008 - 10:07 AM

I would think that the grease would attract dust and dirt. The water pump leak is mostly caused by the seal grooving the shaft, nothing really can prevent this. I change my coolant once a year (and knock on wood) my waterpump seals and shaft are originals.

All this water pump leak talk is making me nervous. I change my coolant at least once a year and my stock seals and shaft are holding well.:)

One of the main functions (jobs) of coolant is to lubricate the waterpump.:smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 28, 2008 - 12:11 PM

Which is one of the reasons it should be changed periodically (not to mention the potential for turning your cooling system into an electroplating operation, with the materials coming from your expensive engine parts)

Water pump leaks in extreme cold weather aren't that unusual, particularly when you have a seal with some time on it. Sometimes the seal will get over it as it warms up, and sometimes it won't.

• Polar_Bus

Posted February 29, 2008 - 03:56 AM

Which is one of the reasons it should be changed periodically (not to mention the potential for turning your cooling system into an electroplating operation, with the materials coming from your expensive engine parts)

Water pump leaks in extreme cold weather aren't that unusual, particularly when you have a seal with some time on it. Sometimes the seal will get over it as it warms up, and sometimes it won't.

There's actually a double seal system used on the w/p shaft. I would venture to say the weep passage is designed to bleed when the seal behind the impeller fails. This is kind of a failsafe system to minimise the chance of antifreeze being forced into the engine oil getting past the 2nd innermost seal ?

Interesting comment about cold seals festering a leak. I would have not thought of that.... my bike does not have many hours (maybe 30 hrs max?) on it either.....

• grayracer513

Posted February 29, 2008 - 07:02 AM

There's actually a double seal system used on the w/p shaft. I would venture to say the weep passage is designed to bleed when the seal behind the impeller fails. This is kind of a failsafe system to minimise the chance of antifreeze being forced into the engine oil getting past the 2nd innermost seal ?

That's pretty much it, yes. Actually, there are two seals because there are two fluid volumes to seal, so you need a lip going each way. The gap between them and the passage running out from that gap prevents a leak of either fluid from contaminating the other.

• Polar_Bus

Posted March 01, 2008 - 05:27 AM

Just for giggles, I started up my bike and just let it idle. It will drip out the weep hole and after about a few min. it stops and seems to make a good seal. I drove it around my yard and it didn't leak once hot.

Like Gray commented, I am definately wondering if the cold is a factor in the seal ? I think I might go ahead and ride the bike over the weekend, and just keep a close eye on the coolant...... It won't be too hard to see antifreeze leaking on the ice ! I am really finding it hard to believe a bike with not even 30 hrs. on it has a blown w/p seal ?

• canute

Posted March 01, 2008 - 08:51 PM

"is that ice cream on you face or have you just blown a seal"....:smirk:
Water pump seal failed after 30 mins in the cold desert..:)
I wanted to remind everyone NOT to attempt removing the pump impeller from the outside - snapped the end off that insert into the balancer shaft:doh: .
There are some very good water pump threads on this site. It pays to follow their advice - of course i didnt read any until i fouled the job up:blush: .
New shaft (old one was well grooved), new bearing, new oil and water seals, o-ring and case gasket.
Took this first timer a couple of hours to complete.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.