Long range tank fuel pump thingy

5 replies to this topic
  • Ian_FE501

Posted February 27, 2008 - 11:11 PM

Hi all, I've got this long range tank (around 25L) that has what appears to be a vacuum operated fuel pump. Don't know what brand the tank is, doesn't look like ant of the usual ones ie Acerbis, IMS, or Clarke but the lower parts are just below the carb. Anyone had any experience with these pumps as far as operation or reliability go?
Thanks Ian

• Descalzo

Posted February 28, 2008 - 02:23 AM

without a pic, it's kind of hard to say if anyone's had any experience with "them" or not.

I'll go out on a limb and assume what you've got is very simular (if not identical) to the vac pump on my 7 gallon tank from IMS.

Assuming that's true, you needn't worry about the pump - they're dead-nut reliable. They've been used on snowmobiles for eons, & more recently, quads for years.

If you want to "worry" about something, worry about your connections to & from the pump for vac. & fuel - The pump itself will pump "forever".

• scalejockey

Posted February 28, 2008 - 05:50 AM

If it is what i'm think'n.. unless you let it sit dry for a long time (1 year?) after use. They work forever.Then the diaphrams dry out and get stiff.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Blacksamwell

Posted February 28, 2008 - 06:51 AM

The 7 gallon IMS tank comes with those pumps so that would be my guess as to which tank you have.

I just installed the IMS 4.6 gallon tank on my XR650R and have been thinking about that vacuum pump. How hard would it be to install it on my tank so I never have to lay my piggie down on her right side to get to all the fuel?

• Ian_FE501

Posted February 28, 2008 - 09:47 PM

Thanks fellas, sounds like the 7 gal IMS. The tank has one tap and three other tube outlets, you can imagine the plumbing, the previous owner obviously hadn't considered ever needing to remove the tank in the field particularly as the tube outlets aren't valved. I've got to find some in-line taps from somewhere.

• Descalzo

Posted February 29, 2008 - 02:39 AM

Thanks fellas, sounds like the 7 gal IMS. The tank has one tap and three other tube outlets, you can imagine the plumbing, the previous owner obviously hadn't considered ever needing to remove the tank in the field particularly as the tube outlets aren't valved. I've got to find some in-line taps from somewhere.

yeah, that sure sounds lke the IMS tank alrightly :) 2 outlets in the front wings, 1 side has to cross over the engine & tee into the other, then to the pump, & from the pump back across the engine & into the tank by the petcock - can't blame the P.O., that's the way IMS did it - Can't take the tank off without draining the tank, can't drain the tank without having fuel some amount of fuel pee on the engine :smirk:
Havn't found them yet, but a 3 small little petcocks that would thread into the tank would sure be a wonderful addition!

How hard would it be to install it on my tank so I never have to lay my piggie down on her right side to get to all the fuel?

yeah, the plumbing would be simple - just a fuel in & out and a port for a vac line. But where/how you'd mount it on the bike, hmm... on the Mongo tank, IMS cast in a couple of nutserts to mount the pump to the bottom of the tank - I imagine you could fab some little bracket or something to mount it - it's roughly a 2.5 x 3.5 x .75 rectangle

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.