Drive chain tensioner

The only justifiable need for it would be proper chain tension. Just seems to me that with all the different suggestions on proper chain adjustment (from forum search results to FSM's, to owners manuals that cover everything from laden to unladen, link unbolted with swing arm inline, finger method, etc.) a tensioner that maintains tension would be a good thing. Kinda like having a belt tensioner found in most newer model cars maintain proper tension rather than have to adjust an alternator pulley like on older cars to achieve the same result. In one case you know the tension is right consistently and the other requires regular attention and adjustment.

Adjust it so there's some play when you're bouncing on the seat and don't sweat the details.

LOL its a little more than that but nice way of putting it hehe

To tell you the truth there is one reason for chain tension and one place in the swingarm movement where you HAVE to have it, and thats when your swingarm is straint out horizontal from the center of your counter shaft sprocket. This is cause thats the point where your chain will be at its longest (stretched) point, Next time you have your shock off take a peep at it by moving the swingarm up and down and youll see that when its straight horizontal from center of CS sprocket its at its tightest point. Now how you find that is kinda up to you, and the best way is with bike up in air and rear wheel relaxed and start with manufacturers specs and actually check it with weight on bike (have a friend, wife, someone) sit on it and get the swingarm horizontal and see how tight/loose it really is at that point. Once you find that setting of slack however your checking it just duplicate it. Ive laid across the seat and pulled on swingarm before and looked at my chain to get that idea.

I have seen a setup a while back with 2 rollers on top and bottom and it was some kind of chain adjuster for a mx bike, ill try to dig something up if i can find anything. Its just never used cuz its not really needed and the KISS method usually rules, whatever works even if its as simple as a few fingers slack in the chain.

Wasn't that called AMP link ?? The old ATKs' had them.

Modern bike have the sprocket close enough to the swingarm pivot to not really need one.Unlike the bikes of the 70s'

no i saw one years ago but not the ATK setup, i sure would like to have a newer ATK lol loved the old school ones left side kick HEHEHE