Anybody dropped down to a 250f and regretted it?

22 replies to this topic
  • dirty_southmx

Posted February 26, 2008 - 05:25 PM

I am a 5'6'' c rider and am wondering if anybody in a similar situation has dropped down to a 250f and regretted it/

• adamdf

Posted February 26, 2008 - 05:37 PM

What is your weight? What style tracks do you normally ride? Answer these first.

• bboyce

Posted February 26, 2008 - 05:37 PM

I know the title asks if you regretted it, but I just dropped down 2 months ago and love everything about the 250f. If your over 200 lbs, then I can see it being a possable regret, but for MX, there really is no need for all the power a 450 puts out.

• dirty_southmx

Posted February 26, 2008 - 05:42 PM

I weigh 156lbs. without gear, I am a 30yr old intermediate, I don't wanna brag but I'm in good shape, and I ride tracks 95 percent of the time....all sizes.

• adamdf

Posted February 26, 2008 - 05:46 PM

I weigh 156lbs. without gear, I am a 30yr old intermediate, I don't wanna brag but I'm in good shape, and I ride tracks 95 percent of the time....all sizes.

Something tells me you won't regret the 250F then....unless you are currently screaming out your 450 on an mx track and begging for more (unlikely). I think if your looking for a change and for something that is easy to go fast on for longer periods of time then you will enjoy it. Oh i should also mention, you will really like a 250F on hard packed surfaces where a 450 could be hard to manage. IF you ride in deep sand a lot you will still have fun, but 450s do tend to be a slight advantage there.

• MaxPower

Posted February 26, 2008 - 06:51 PM

[COLOR="Green"]I had a 250F when they first came out
I didnt see what everyone else saw in them
I tried one again a few weeks ago
Still hated it
For me, if Im going to ride a 4 stroke, I want something with guts.
This obviously is only my opinion cause there are lots of 250fs out there[/COLOR]

• Yamaha4lyfe

Posted February 26, 2008 - 10:53 PM

i found dropping from a kx250 2smoke to the yz 250f' had it ups and downs. the gears felt shorter but when you reved it out it went almost as fast. the 250f was a great bike and i would not hesitate to buy another for myself. but since im a power freak and i can go way faster on a 450 i wont be going back until i retire :smirk:. but you better be ready to pay a bit extra for the maintaince of a 250f compared to a 450f, or a 2 stroke.
just my thoughts about them
ps they Are AMAZING ON gas i never ran out.

Ryan

• Justin89

Posted February 27, 2008 - 11:57 AM

Last Sunday, we had our local races and I normally ride my 2006 yz450f...but I entered my friends 2007 crf250 (stock w. PC pipes) and was having about 3-4sec better lap times than my 450. It seemed to rev to the moon! I had immediately came off my bike so it seemd extremely lighter and easier to move. The second time I ran the 250f I only was pushing about 1-2sec better lap times. In the deep mud and long straights though, I felt like I was killing the engine. I'm about 5'8, 170lbs so that my give you some idea...maybe...lol I think you should get the 250f because of your size and class. They are extremely fun bikes and still make pretty decent power.

PS. The tracks where I ride are very wide open so youare on the gas the entire time...

• Wiz636

Posted February 27, 2008 - 02:56 PM

I have never owned a 250F but I have ridden them. Found them to be very fun to ride (I also love riding 125 pingers) but to have one as my only bike...no thanks.

• erickdj

Posted February 27, 2008 - 05:11 PM

I've never owned a 250f mx bike, but I've ridden a couple of them after being used to the power of a 450f, one of them felt just flat out underpowered and gutless to me. The other 250f I tried felt really good, but I'm told that it was quite modded and not even close to stock. They feel really good as far as weight, but they lack the raw grunt of a 450f. I ride 90+% trails in the mountains and also some good hill climbs, so I'd be VERY unhappy with a 250f. A couple of months ago I tried climbing a hill on my buddy's 250f, I had it pinned on 3rd gear and was left wanting more power, I didn't put it in 4th because it felt like it would bog severely if I used 4th gear. Overall it just felt gutless. A 250f just can't give the feeling that my 450f gives me while racing 6 other riders up a steep hill climb. I admit that I'm VERY slow at the track with my 450f, but as soon as I hit more open spaces it's game over for the 250f's, for me nothing beats the feeling of raw power off from the 450f, I guess I'm just a power whore.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Whyzee429

Posted February 27, 2008 - 05:19 PM

I have a 450 and my brother has a 250f....they both have their ups and downs. Once I get used to his 250f I love it and it makes me think about getting one. I do however get scared when revving it out (not enough torque to short shift) I feel like it wants to blow.

• adamdf

Posted February 27, 2008 - 05:48 PM

As i have said before. It is very important to factor in the kind of tracks you ride. If you mainly ride deep sand or mainly power robbing or wide open mx courses then a 250F will be screamed a lot and a faster rider especially will want more power. But if you ride hard slick mx tracks where traction is an issue or tracks that seem to be on the tighter side (basically tracks that a 450 cant get wrung out on), then you will love the 250Fs for their ease of flicking around and the manageable power delivery, lets not forget these things can rip too, they aren't slow, you just have to be a little more aggressive on them (once again, rider ability comes into play, a C rider may want less, an A rider may be begging for more yet even A riders still do enjoy 250Fs a lot). I say go for the 250F.

• hi everybody

Posted February 27, 2008 - 09:43 PM

A buddy of mine and I talk about switching to the 250F a lot...mostly cause we think the 450 has made us lazier riders. with the 450, we can just turn the throttle and still clear the triple etc. if we screw up a corner...where as we *THINK* that the 250 would make us work for it more, and therefore making us better and faster riders.

is this the case? I just have a feeling I'm gunna miss the 450 as soon as it leaves:cry:

• thumpyz

Posted February 27, 2008 - 09:57 PM

I've never owned a 250f mx bike, but I've ridden a couple of them after being used to the power of a 450f, one of them felt just flat out underpowered and gutless to me. The other 250f I tried felt really good, but I'm told that it was quite modded and not even close to stock. They feel really good as far as weight, but they lack the raw grunt of a 450f. I ride 90+% trails in the mountains and also some good hill climbs, so I'd be VERY unhappy with a 250f. A couple of months ago I tried climbing a hill on my buddy's 250f, I had it pinned on 3rd gear and was left wanting more power, I didn't put it in 4th because it felt like it would bog severely if I used 4th gear. Overall it just felt gutless. A 250f just can't give the feeling that my 450f gives me while racing 6 other riders up a steep hill climb. I admit that I'm VERY slow at the track with my 450f, but as soon as I hit more open spaces it's game over for the 250f's, for me nothing beats the feeling of raw power off from the 450f, I guess I'm just a power whore.....

x2 :smirk:

• Wiz636

Posted February 28, 2008 - 09:04 AM

A buddy of mine and I talk about switching to the 250F a lot...mostly cause we think the 450 has made us lazier riders. with the 450, we can just turn the throttle and still clear the triple etc. if we screw up a corner...where as we *THINK* that the 250 would make us work for it more, and therefore making us better and faster riders.

is this the case? I just have a feeling I'm gunna miss the 450 as soon as it leaves:cry:

Yes it will, it takes more work to go fast on a 250F. Similar to riding a 125 pinger you will live with a finger on the clutch and you will realize the importance of carrying speed into corners, always being in the right gear, etc.

They are fun though...it's nice to slam into a berm and whack the throttle without having your arms ripped off. But again, I wouldn't have one as my only bike.

• rickallen124

Posted February 28, 2008 - 09:10 AM

Just get an 08 YZ450 and leave it stock. This bike is a 250f with a little bit more everywhere. The magazines aren't kidding when they call it a 350 as it is really mellow down low and you have to keep it up in the rpm range more like a 250f than any other 450 out there. They are both fun bikes, the 250f probably being a little funner but I'm enjoying not having to rev the crap out of my 450 and the 450 certainly is better if I want to hit the desert. Tight stuff-250f, more wide open or soft-450f. Tough decision but I really do like the 08 450 as it has made the transition from 250 to 450 easy. If you go 250f plan on a athena big bore kit or something similar. I was debating that option and just decided to get a 450 instead of dumping more $ into the 250. At your weight a 250f will be fine.

• KJ790

Posted February 28, 2008 - 01:07 PM

I have both a 450 and a 250F and I like the 250F a lot more. I've always felt better on 250F's, even though I have a lot more time on 450s (I do all of my practicing on a 450). I'm 6'1", 155 lbs, and race the A class. I've spent a lot of money trying to get the 450 to feel more comfortable, but I just feel better on the 250F. Lap times are the same on either bike, depending on the track. Some days I'm faster on the 450, some days I'm faster on the 250F.

• hi everybody

Posted February 28, 2008 - 05:18 PM

Yes it will, it takes more work to go fast on a 250F. Similar to riding a 125 pinger you will live with a finger on the clutch and you will realize the importance of carrying speed into corners, always being in the right gear, etc.

They are fun though...it's nice to slam into a berm and whack the throttle without having your arms ripped off. But again, I wouldn't have one as my only bike.

yeah...thats usually where my buddies and I's conversations end...trying to figure out how to win the lotto so we can have both :smirk:

• felix 222

Posted February 28, 2008 - 08:36 PM

i own a 450. i rode a friends 250f and absolutely hated it on the track. i'd open up the throttle and there was nothing there. however, i am 200lbs.

i suggest making some new friends giving one of their 250f's a shot:thumbsup:

• Kevin117

Posted February 28, 2008 - 09:24 PM

yeah i got a 450 and i enjoy riding my buddies 250f, but would never trade in my 450 for one. i wish i could have one of both. that would be sweet.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.