Is $6000 a good price for an 08 650L

22 replies to this topic
  • riding4life162

Posted February 26, 2008 - 12:10 PM

Hey guys I got a deal on a brand New 2008 650L with 4 miles on it from a stealership in california. Just want to know if this is a good price for it. What you guys think.

• cornelieaz

Posted February 26, 2008 - 12:14 PM

Are you rich?...then sure, why not. I used to sell bikes for a Honda dealership. It's a crooked freakin business man. You could get them for 5500 OTD if you felt like goin toe to toe for a couple hours on a slow weekday evening at the dealership.

• jonr3

Posted February 26, 2008 - 12:17 PM

Hey guys I got a deal on a brand New 2008 650L with 4 miles on it from a stealership in california. Just want to know if this is a good price for it. What you guys think.

My local dealer just sold a new '07 for $4500. Same bike - different colored headlight fairing and came with a tool kit. :smirk:

• riding4life162

Posted February 26, 2008 - 12:50 PM

Well what seems like a reasonable starting price for the bike. cause MSRP is 5900, the 6000 includes all the Cali taxes and fees.

• Motosprtman

Posted February 26, 2008 - 12:53 PM

seems about right for out the door, taxes licensing etc, considering they areadvertised at 5700 on the Honda website. NO matter what though - you will love it !

• riding4life162

Posted February 26, 2008 - 01:27 PM

how about 5600 OTD for a brand new 07 xl 65l

• BeeDub

Posted February 26, 2008 - 02:40 PM

how about 5600 OTD for a brand new 07 xl 65l

That's what I paid for mine about 6 mos. ago. Best deal I found on one.

• Denn10

Posted February 26, 2008 - 03:43 PM

dont worry about 07 or 08 there exact same bike and get the cheapest cuz there not gonna lose value to make it that much of a difference down the road. get an 07 if you can for that price.

• Brtp4

Posted February 26, 2008 - 07:35 PM

No.

BP

• riding4life162

Posted February 26, 2008 - 09:22 PM

Well I called about 20 places today in SOCAL and this is the best quote I got all day, the guy then sent it to me in a email. "Your price for this 2008 unit is $5899 out the door including sales tax, license fees, document prep fees, dealer freight and prep fees, tire recycling fees, factory incentives, and consumer rebates; the total price. This should be the lowest OTD price in California . We also have the 2007 XR650LL for $5599. Are you looking for the dual sport or the XR650RL7 which is $5699 out the door."

So OTD for an 08 is $5899 and
OTD for 07 is $5599.
I'm asking for yalls help cause, Ive ridden nothing but sportbikes my life and this will be my first dirt bike style bike purchase so I really dont know much about pricing these types of bikes. Thanks For the help guys.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motosprtman

Posted February 27, 2008 - 10:47 AM

The 07 is the best one for your money as it is the same as the 08.

the XR650R is the water cooled off road only and a totally different bike than the XR650L.

• BeeDub

Posted February 27, 2008 - 11:23 AM

I won't blab, but I know where you're getting your quote, that is where I bought mine, and they're quoting the same price I paid for mine. Do NOT pay an extra $300 for an '08. If you can't land an '07, I'd personally look at slightly used ones, they are out there, just find an old guy who has only put 500 easy miles on it, you'll be in good shape.

• Motosprtman

Posted February 27, 2008 - 11:58 AM

Hey I resemble that remark! (old guy that put 500 ez miles on it) ;-)

• Brtp4

Posted February 27, 2008 - 08:57 PM

Well I called about 20 places today in SOCAL and this is the best quote I got all day, the guy then sent it to me in a email. "Your price for this 2008 unit is $5899 out the door including sales tax, license fees, document prep fees, dealer freight and prep fees, tire recycling fees, factory incentives, and consumer rebates; the total price. This should be the lowest OTD price in California . We also have the 2007 XR650LL for $5599. Are you looking for the dual sport or the XR650RL7 which is $5699 out the door."

So OTD for an 08 is $5899 and
OTD for 07 is $5599.
I'm asking for yalls help cause, Ive ridden nothing but sportbikes my life and this will be my first dirt bike style bike purchase so I really dont know much about pricing these types of bikes. Thanks For the help guys.

When buying an L, there are a few things to factor in:

- First, the bike has not changed in about 15 years, and there basically are no part upgrades for newer years. They are not like sportbikes that get better each year. So, there is really no performance advantage to say, an 08 over an 02.

- Used versions in good condition, with low miles, usually run between $3k and $4k. It can be an 02 or an 06, and they usually - not always, but usually - fall in this range.

- When you buy one new, after about 6 months, this is about what it will be worth. 2 years later, this is still about what it will be worth.

- They don't really wear like pure offroad bikes. A 5 year old example with 1000 street miles (not uncommon) is functionally as good as a new one.

- [U]In my opinion[U], I made a mistake in buying a new one for these reasons. I could have bought a low-mile used bike from someone for about $1500 to $2000 less than what I paid, and there would have been no difference in the performance.

- I then made my mistake worse by doing what a lot of L owners do, modified the heck out of it. Sure, the bike is a lot better and I like it a lot more, but I have well over $7000 into it. If I ever sell it I will lose my ass, I would be way better off if I had started with a used bike. And agin, there would be no performance difference.

If you are interested in this route, you can find plenty of good ones in the SoCal Cycle Trader. I convinced myself that was too much work and bought new, in retrospect I would have gone used.

If you decide to go new, get a print copy of the Cycle Trader. They always have dealers that are aggressively marketing bikes. Find the guy that is selling CRF 450s the cheapest, and start there for your L.

BP

• martinfan30

Posted February 28, 2008 - 09:11 AM

Brtp4 has some excellent advise...

I also bought mine new, and feel the same way about the cost of all the mods I have done.

But what the, hell! Theres nothing like owning a brand new bike! Especially if you are not too worrried about $$$$..

• BeeDub

Posted February 28, 2008 - 09:23 AM

Brtp4 has some excellent advise...

I also bought mine new, and feel the same way about the cost of all the mods I have done.

But what the, hell! Theres nothing like owning a brand new bike! Especially if you are not too worrried about $$$$..

Totally agree, you just never know. If I bought a used one, it wouldn't be from a guy my age, that's all I can say, even though I don't abuse my bikes, you just never know...I researched the hell out of finding my first DS bike. Then, when I decided which one I wanted, I researched the hell out of the used market. As soon as I got my bonus check, I found the best deal on a new one I could get, and bought the bike the same day! Well, maybe not the same day, but...

• riding4life162

Posted February 29, 2008 - 10:56 AM

well I found a guy whos selling a 06650L with 3400 miles for $3900. might check him out, does that sound decent.

• martinfan30

Posted February 29, 2008 - 11:24 AM

well I found a guy whos selling a 06650L with 3400 miles for $3900. might check him out, does that sound decent.

Mileage wise its good. Just find out whats been done to it, or if its all stock.

• Motosprtman

Posted February 29, 2008 - 11:49 AM

I can tell ya one thing for sure on the 1993 XR650L basket case that I am reviving. Left stock - as this one was, they burn up the head. That "Lean Condition" we all rave about is no joke, it will do damage if not corrected. This one dropped a valve seat and the kid I bought it from had to buy an entire head as the old one was cooked for too many reasons to mention. Even after his reassembly - the plug shows it continued to run hot, stock jets, stock pipe, foam air filter filled with crud (shoulda made it a lil richer) and they adjusted out the air fuel screw! and drilled holes in the airbox and sidecover! so it could suck in even more air! vs fuel. Lucklity his brother had a 650L also and after the one with the new head quit running due to a bad ignition switch - massive wiring problems (they cut into the harness) it became a donor bike. so I scammed on it for 200.00 - essentially only a frame and motor, I have replaced the wiring harness with one off of a 2003 and the list goes on of NOS replacement parts, got a set of wheels off of e-bay and installed new Dunlop 606's etc, front fender is a new acerbis for an XR400 and the rear is OEM with the the small XR tail-light. Fanagled a NOS tank for 100.00 bucks, used seat 75.00, ignition switch for 75.00, harness was 75.00, NEW left and right controls and brake resevoir, new throttle cables and barrell (motion pro),new choke cable, new chain and sprockets 15/45 DID gold O ring chain. New instrument cluster 145.00 In the end I think I have close to 1500 in it total. Too many parts purchases to mention here, I also used all OEM bolts nuts and washer from bikebandit.com When I am done, I have an additional XR650L for ... whatever. Oh yea and I got a set of decals for it from decal works, front number plate and sidecover "Dave's XL's only 54" :-) It has been a fun project and it is nearing completion. Had power on last night and all ok! mew battery too. Lotsa cleaning, cleaning,cleaning and more cleaning. Lastly the carb work is done and it is installed, 55 pilot, 165 DJ main, drilled slide and added the .020 washer under the head of the stock needle. New UNI air filter in a sanitary air box. Adding a FMF Q2 pipe on her too. Cold drained the black goo and adding Castrol 10-40 for her first start and run, then drain and go back to Castrol 20/50.
Did no suspension work, except that I still have to drain and flush the forks and add new fluid, and grease the pro -link seems tight on the rear end, no slop and the swing arm bushings have no play. This bike was ridden mostly off road, the rear wheel was trashed, broken spokes and a slight flat spot in the rim! wow! someone had the forethought to install the zerk ftgs in the pro link and that additional grease probably saved the rear end. For 15 long years this poor ol XR650L took obviously nothing but abuse heaped upon even more abuse, now it has found a good home, right next to my 2005.

• martinfan30

Posted February 29, 2008 - 12:04 PM

Thats cool MS. Look forward to some final pics.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.