Rust???

13 replies to this topic
  • harwood39

Posted February 26, 2008 - 08:38 AM

Ok. I have a 2000 YZ426F... Unfortunatally it has the steel frame still... And it has surface rust in areas such as under the footpegs, on the front of it, and on the sides where the boot wear is. I know its not really something you can prevent as when steel isnt painted it rusts. What can i do besides re-powdercoat the frame? I plan on powdercoting it next winter, but will it get bad enough over the summer where i should worry? Also i dont really take winters off as i race indoor... so its not like i can be without the bike for a few months...

• M_Xrider

Posted February 26, 2008 - 08:43 AM

Keep it inside and spray her down with wd40,its a water displacment.Spray the bike down and then,then wipe away,should help keep the bike from rusting any more.

• harwood39

Posted February 26, 2008 - 08:54 AM

it stays inside and i have been sprayin it. I just guess i worry about the rust thats already there. its not bad, i could steel wool it away but that would also take away some more paint. I know it is caused by hauling it in the winter as i only have an open trailer....

• M_Xrider

Posted February 27, 2008 - 08:21 AM

Oh,well Instead of powder coating,You could steel would it as you said and pick up a can of PJ1 frame paint its an epoxy spray paint its pretty durable,tape off some parts and paint away just for the time being until you get you bike powder coated.

• harwood39

Posted February 27, 2008 - 09:51 AM

I did think about doing that, but, i also thought about steel woolling it than useing grip tape there as like a frame protector. anyone ever done this??

• KSL

Posted February 27, 2008 - 12:16 PM

Yeah, but it doesn't last very long...

• harwood39

Posted February 27, 2008 - 12:18 PM

It would last long enough til next winter when i have a month off to tear the bike down to power coat it. Im debating on if it would be worth the money for a good skid to protect the frame also since i only race mx...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426 NOOB

Posted February 27, 2008 - 02:26 PM

Oh,well Instead of powder coating,You could steel would it as you said and pick up a can of PJ1 frame paint its an epoxy spray paint its pretty durable,tape off some parts and paint away just for the time being until you get you bike powder coated.

I second this, I actually just did this to my 01 426. I just steel wooled the areas that needed it(dont worry about the fine scratches that it leaves on the good paint because when you get the pj1 paint they will ask you if you want the clear too and the clear gets rid of these). Then taped off the surrounding areas and spray away(or brush it on). I have ridden a few times and the paint is holding up really well. Just make sure it dries fully because it can take up to a day to fully dry. The paint also blends fairly well.
-Cam

• buzzgrizz

Posted February 27, 2008 - 04:02 PM

i say dont worry about it just spray with wd 40

• M_Xrider

Posted February 27, 2008 - 04:36 PM

Oh after you use PJ1 invest if works connection frame guards they are like $50 and prevent any paint from rubbing off.

• 426 NOOB

Posted February 27, 2008 - 04:44 PM

Oh after you use PJ1 invest if works connection frame guards they are like $50 and prevent any paint from rubbing off.

Yes, this is a great idea. I had these before I painted my bike and where they covered was one of the cleanest areas on the bike thanks to the guards.

• todds924

Posted February 27, 2008 - 04:58 PM

it stays inside and i have been sprayin it. I just guess i worry about the rust thats already there. its not bad, i could steel wool it away but that would also take away some more paint. I know it is caused by hauling it in the winter as i only have an open trailer....

You can use Naval Jelly to remove the rust.

• harwood39

Posted February 27, 2008 - 06:59 PM

ordered my PJ1 today. gonna order frame guards, but the thin i worry about is they will only protect the lower part. i squeeze the bike hard and have paint wear al the way up to the tank.

• 426 NOOB

Posted February 27, 2008 - 10:14 PM

ordered my PJ1 today. gonna order frame guards, but the thin i worry about is they will only protect the lower part. i squeeze the bike hard and have paint wear al the way up to the tank.

I have heard of some guards that people have made with soft silacone-like rubber. They cut them to fit and zip tied them on. Also, I thought at one time an actual company made them like acrebis, but I may be wrong.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.