sand riding

22 replies to this topic
  • kylwk1500

Posted February 25, 2008 - 07:37 PM

im going to ride the sand dunes in a couple of weeks, and was just wondering what all you guys do to prepare your bike for riding. I know that stuff can tear up your bike. I have an 06 yz450. Thanks

• zachrider

Posted February 25, 2008 - 08:42 PM

well, when i ride in sand, i make sure my airfilter is well-oiled, and maybe get the sand filter that you can buy to put over the filter, slap on a paddle and youre good to go. there is a thread about sand getting into the breather hose and ruining the engine, so be careful of that too.

• BergArabia

Posted February 26, 2008 - 03:53 AM

well, when i ride in sand, i make sure my airfilter is well-oiled, and maybe get the sand filter that you can buy to put over the filter, slap on a paddle and youre good to go. there is a thread about sand getting into the breather hose and ruining the engine, so be careful of that too.

Yep, you can get a filter on the end of the breather hose and possibly mount it a bit higher. ( I put mine in the air box).
air filter is well cleaned and oiled. I use a paddle tire. I also use an Oring chain and make sure to keep it clean but I don't put any grease on it. Just clean it good with diesel. (Sand stick to grease really bad).

• Speedracer747-400

Posted February 26, 2008 - 04:20 AM

Breather hose reroute parts kit
http://www.thumperta...573#post4956573

Prefilter
http://www.pcracingu...filterskins.php

Rear paddle tire
http://www.kingstire.com/KT-977.htm

• tnl

Posted February 26, 2008 - 06:52 AM

Remove the rear tire mud flap behind your rear spring. Paddles will eat those things up in a second. Tape the drain channel/hole in the bottom of your air box shut. Spend $25 for a whip mount that goes on your rear fender rather than those rear axle mounts. Also, ditto on the above air box thread. I use a $3 filter from Auto Zone in my air box. Have fun!

• WB450

Posted February 26, 2008 - 08:02 AM

I would change the breather tube location.

Posted Image

• zachrider

Posted February 26, 2008 - 09:57 AM

yeah be sure to get the Kings Turbo Paddle tire. way better then the others when it comes to paddle size, and those ridges on the outside help cornering too.

• IDAHOBALLER

Posted February 26, 2008 - 11:07 AM

Does anybody run the skat-trak vulcanized paddle tires on their bikes?

I have been lookin at getting an 8pdl viper for my 450.

They are much more expensive but in the big sand dunes like St. Anthony's I will take every little advantage I can get to be able to go up the hills at a higher MPH.

• zachrider

Posted February 26, 2008 - 12:10 PM

the skatrack tire doesnt really help with hill climbing IMO, its just more stability.

• IDAHOBALLER

Posted February 26, 2008 - 01:11 PM

I am not talking about the molded skat trak with the fin in the center. IMO those tires suck. I am talking about the ones that are regular nobbie tires that had the nobbies buffed off and then they glue whatever number and type of paddles that you want onto the tire.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zachrider

Posted February 26, 2008 - 02:17 PM

ooohh, gotcha, my bad. i dont know about those ones. but also, beware of the paddle hitting the suspension linkage when you install it. it happens often with 19in wheels, so you might have to get a longer chain.

• HONDA NO MORE

Posted February 26, 2008 - 08:25 PM

Ditto on all of the air filter prep, I have been riding ST. Anthony for 12 years and have never sucked sand in, maintence is key, I put a heavy bead of grease around the face of my air filter where it seats against the air box.

I remember running the "shaved" paddle from skat trak called "the hoooker" when I was a kid, haven't seen one around for a long time. I think that the biggest advantage with that paddle is that is lighter than all of the new paddles, which equates to more horsepower getting to the ground. My friends have run the Pirelli tire that is made for sand, it is a nobby with some decent success. If you want to just go fast up the drag hills, then air down both of your tires ~6-7 psi. I have seen bikes pull 2 full gears higher out of Choke by doing this, but this low pressure is almost a guarenteed flat form a rock or when you g-out at the bottom of a dune.

Have fun, there is nothing like coming back from Choke at dusk.

• IDAHOBALLER

Posted February 26, 2008 - 09:07 PM

I ride at St Anthonys the majority of the time when I hit the sand (about 10 times a year) and once you ride in them big azz hills you tend to want every speed andvantage you can get. Those hills make even built 500 2 smokers feel pretty tame to me.

I already know I am going to get the skat trak 8pdl viper which is the newer "improved" version of the classic hooker. I was just curious if anyone had actually compared the strait line performance of the skat traks to the better molded paddles such as the Kings turbo paddle. I am hoping that I can get my 08 to pull over the 40mph mark up choke with my 220lb butt on the seat.

I know on my YFZ450 quad (or most sport quads for that matter) there is not many tires that can even compare to the performance of the light weight skat traks when paddled properly. I know my bike isnt going to run anywhere close to my next quad no matter what I do to it up the hills but I want to squeeze every little bit of perfomance I can out of it without doing much to the motor for reliability reasons since my bike is my main ride everywhere except the dunes.

• rideawn

Posted February 27, 2008 - 09:07 AM

Remove the rear tire mud flap behind your rear spring. Paddles will eat those things up in a second. Tape the drain channel/hole in the bottom of your air box shut. Spend $25 for a whip mount that goes on your rear fender rather than those rear axle mounts. Also, ditto on the above air box thread. I use a $3 filter from Auto Zone in my air box. Have fun!

I prefer to use a shortened mud flap so that the shock is still protected from excess sand but keeps the flap out of the way of the paddle.

• IDAHOBALLER

Posted February 27, 2008 - 09:23 AM

I am just going to get some of the fabric and elastic that they make shock covers out of for quads and make a custom shock cover that I can slip on the rear shock and then just remove the mud flap when I go to the dunes.

It would only cost maybe $10 in materials and IMO is the best possible option for protecting the vulnerable seals in the rear shock.

• studboy

Posted February 27, 2008 - 11:18 AM

I have run the Skat-Trak in the past. They are lighter and may give you a SLIGHT advantage over the better molded paddles. Not as much as the 4-wheelers (I have those too).

The downsides are that the Skat-Trak is more expensive, and doesn't last very long. If you go to the dunes frequently (and hit any rocks) it will rip those paddles apart way faster than the molded paddles.

I have tried the Skat-Trak 8 paddle hooker, Kings paddle, the Cheng Shin 8 and 10 paddle.

My favorite believe it or not is the Cheng Shin 10 paddle. It only cost $50 and runs awesome and has been very durable. I run this paddle on my YZ250.

The 10 paddle is much smoother than the 8. It has slightly shallower paddles.

• studboy

Posted February 27, 2008 - 11:24 AM

This one:

http://www.mxdeals.c...shin-cheng.html

• HONDA NO MORE

Posted February 27, 2008 - 06:29 PM

IDAHOBALLER, 40 MPH out of choke for a guy weighing 220 is pretty impressive, I know because I have weighed that in better days, I'm about 255 now.
I am curious, what mods are you going to do to your 08 to try and break this speed record? I have had an 04 & 05 450 with stock motors, and both will barely come out of Choke in 3 gear, I don't know what MPH, I usually add one tooth to my rear sprocket.

I agree that even a 500 feels a little tame at times on the big A$$ dunes, I hope to build a CR500AF this summer, we'll see how it compares to my 450's.

• IDAHOBALLER

Posted February 27, 2008 - 09:09 PM

IDAHOBALLER, 40 MPH out of choke for a guy weighing 220 is pretty impressive, I know because I have weighed that in better days, I'm about 255 now.
I am curious, what mods are you going to do to your 08 to try and break this speed record? I have had an 04 & 05 450 with stock motors, and both will barely come out of Choke in 3 gear, I don't know what MPH, I usually add one tooth to my rear sprocket.

I agree that even a 500 feels a little tame at times on the big A$$ dunes, I hope to build a CR500AF this summer, we'll see how it compares to my 450's.

Having ridden my YFZ450 and my YZ450f back to back they are very close in a drag race with my quad just barely pulling it and it went 38mph up choke with me on it. The thing is my bike is still stock for now and the quad has a fully built 14:1 compression drag motor in it and they are already that close.

I am going to first try and see what I can get with the perfect paddle tire and gearing setup on a stock motor with a full exhaust system and then go from there. I dont know how much power I want the bike making since I ride it in the dirt most of the time and I have to be able to hang on to it.LOL

I will be building a different dune quad before long that will take over duning and drag racing/hillshooting most of the time anyways so I guess I just want to maximize the speed the bike can deliver without doing many internal motor mods. If it doesnt make 40mph well that will be fine but I really dont think it should be too hard to do. The next quad is going to make the bike look silly slow anyways so once it gets built I will probably ride it in the sand most of the time. I am planing to break the 80mph mark up choke on it with relative ease.

I would SOOO LOVE to have a nice CR500af with a solid built motor making like mid 60's to have as a dedicated dune bike, so that I wouldnt have to ride the 450 in the sand at all. All that high speed pinned riding is just too hard on the 4 stroke motors IMO, but a cr500 will take it and not look back. Those motors are just soo tough and reliable that I think they are the perfect dune motor for a bike.

Man, I cant wait to hit the sand again as soon as the snow melts...

• STROKEDIESEL

Posted February 28, 2008 - 09:36 AM

can you please pm me a website for the fender whip mount i was only able to find the chain adjuster style. thanks

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.