front brake question

4 replies to this topic
  • Dirt Hokie

Posted February 25, 2008 - 01:30 PM

I have a 99 yz 400. I it seem like it takes to much force on the brake lever to get much response from the front brakes. I bled the brakes and checked the pads and everything seems to look fine. Brakes behave the same before and after i bled them and added new fluid. Compared to my ttr 250 which i could get to lock up with one finger my 400's brakes suck. Could it be oil contamination on the pads? The pads look fine and are still very thick.

Is this normal or might there be a problem.

• William1

Posted February 25, 2008 - 01:46 PM

*Contaminaterd pads - Clean pads and rotor, resurface with emery cloth
*Glazed pads and rotor - Same as above
*Over heated rotor - Replace pads and rotor
*Adjusting screw on brake lever too tight (should be a little free play between the screw tip and the master cylinder piston)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ben_suhard

Posted February 25, 2008 - 05:20 PM

You may also want to try a braided hose and/or a larger disc(an EBC 280mm disc is good value if you shop around for the cheapest price on line)

• grayracer513

Posted February 25, 2008 - 07:07 PM

Here's a question: Are the brakes hard as a rock and just don't stop. or are they mushy/springy feeling at the lever?

• frankllynn

Posted February 26, 2008 - 12:35 PM

I have a 98 400 and had the same problem. I replaced the pads and lines. I believe my old lines where wore out and expanding under pressure. Worked pretty good.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.