What material is the stock 2007 WR450 header?

Hey guys,

I have heard that the stock header is Titanium.....but also that is is just thin walled stainless tubing. Which one is it? The Yamaha specs don't say, and I cannot find anything in the owners manual.?

I need to know because I want to have an Oxygen sensor bung welded in so I can do some wideband O2 datalogging to get my jetting just right.

Thanks,

Chris

I'd like to know also. I'm pretty sure it's titanium because the pipe has a yellowish hue, and stainless is more silver. Also, titanium sparks are a really bright white color compared to orange sparks from steel. You could try hitting it with a dremel or grinder somewhere that wont be seen to see how she sparks.

I believe the stock header is NOT titanium. If in fact it was titanium it would turn to unmistakable blue color within only a few hours. When the pipe is hot it is almost like neon blue

IMG_2514.jpg

IMG_2536.jpg

The stock header turns slightly yellowish and it takes much longer to change color.

SNV31335.jpg

It's stainless...SC

When did it change?

I was just pondering my header the other day and after a year it still looks pretty good and knowing that my 04' was Ti stock and it pretty much looked like it had been dragged behind the bike after the first 6 months... I had just assumed the 07' was Ti too:excuseme:

This has been debated before. I've found articles and spec sheets all over the net that consistently contradict each other. Other info I've found shows that Yamaha switched back and forth between SS and Ti from year to year. I know unequivocally that my '05 came with a stainless header as did my friend's '06...SC

Okay, here it is...

'03/'04 .... Ti Header - p/n 5TA-14611-00-00 ... $205

'05/'06 .... SS Header - p/n 5TJ-14611-00-00 ... $128

'07/'08 .... SS Header - p/n 5TA-14611-10-00 ... $121

These were Zanotti's prices and the significant discrepancy in price between the 1st and 2nd gen 450's can only mean Ti was used at first and then Yamaha switched to SS. The price separation was even bigger using Bike Bandit. Also, the majority of the articles I've seen support this ?...SC