WR450F Reliability/Unreliable

22 replies to this topic
  • djv5

Posted February 28, 2008 - 03:11 AM

2003 was the first year for electric start and 450cc for the YamahaWR. Older models were 426cc and 400cc.

In your original post you mentioned the DRZ400. The DRZ would make a great street commuter ride, and very reliable. But if you ever decide to go offroad the DRZ is heavy, low on power, and outdated suspension.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted February 28, 2008 - 05:14 AM

i would prefer a newer model but i rather not have the electric start

Look around for a 02 wr426 then. It has some of the upgrades of the 450 but no e-start. Has a 3.2 gal. tank to give you more range too.

• brad the best

Posted February 28, 2008 - 06:39 PM

i would buy a 450 . you re-ring it when you have low compression , not every year , valves need to be checked once or twice a year . suspension oil should be changed every year , brakes fluid every two . coolant every 2 years . change the engine oil often and it will last long .

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.