New Owner of 2001 XR650R

5 replies to this topic
  • red_rider_elsinore

Posted February 25, 2008 - 09:18 AM

I aquired a good condition xr650r from a local shop. It came with a Pro Circuit T4 exhaust, Tag 1_1/8 bars, rht foot peg mod. Everthing else is stock. I was told the bike is uncorked, but it just doesn't feel fast. It feels torquey but not strong. I thought I would twist the throttle and it would lift the front. For jetting it has a 175 main and 65 pilot. I lubed the throttle cables because the throttle didn't feel smooth. As for mods I ordered an early 90's glass headlight, Fork Skins, and SmartPerformance oil. I'm getting ready to rewind the stator, install a DC rectifier and battery. I do a lot of night riding and I use a helmet light wired do the bike on my quad. I rather convert to DC for the lights and its easier to wire electronics. I use a Garmin Vista HCx and would like to be able to wire into the bike.

What do I check in the bike's jetting to make sure its running good. It didn't feel as fast as my yz426f.

I broke the front brake caliper mounting braket last night. I inserted the top bolt into the bottom hole. The bolt was too long and it cracked the mount, and a piece fell off. Do they sell the mounting bracket or what else can I do.

Does anyone have the stock rear light. The guy before me removed the light and the socket assembly.

P.S. I love the bike. I hit 87.7 on my gps. I live in the desert and close to Baja.

• martinfan30

Posted February 25, 2008 - 09:29 AM

Look here for 650R tips.

• jdubb75

Posted February 25, 2008 - 10:05 AM

I'm not sure what altitude you're at, but here's what works for me at about 500'.

175 main
68s slow
B53E needle w/clip in middle position

You will also want to check the carb insulator (between carb & engine) and make sure it has a full circle opening. The stock resctricted one has a rectangular opening that restricts air flow. While you're at it make sure the plugs have been pulled from the airbox.

The site martinfan posted has a lot of dyno charts and a gearing spreadsheet that will help you gear the R to take advantage of the torque and hp that it so graciously wants to serve up. On mine anyway...once you break through the initial arm jerker it falls off. It's not a 450R/X with a high rpm hit. It should definatley lift the front with ease at the turn of the wrist though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • red_rider_elsinore

Posted February 25, 2008 - 12:21 PM

I"m at sea level. I was thinking of opening up the airbox. It still have the stock airfilter and screen. I'm looking at changing it to a UNI. Will that make a huge difference?

• jdubb75

Posted February 25, 2008 - 12:45 PM

I"m at sea level. I was thinking of opening up the airbox. It still have the stock airfilter and screen. I'm looking at changing it to a UNI. Will that make a huge difference?

I just got my UNI in the mail a couple days ago, but have got it on the bike yet so I don't know the answer to that.

If your bike still has the airbox plugs in it you will definately have to remove them, replace the restricted carb insulator and jet as I specified earlier to make it run right.

If the previous owner just installed the slip-on and a 175 main you are nowhere near uncorked yet. The parts are cheap and the hp gains are huge for the money spent.

• LuckyLook

Posted February 27, 2008 - 09:27 AM

What is the effect on your fuel consumption with the larger jetting and uncorked R? Coming from a overland perspective i mean?

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.