Xr650L Battery under the seat

175 replies to this topic
  • joev

Posted December 28, 2008 - 06:16 PM

I found some batteries made by Scorpion for a crf450x @ batterystuff.com cost... $47.oo This may be helpfully.

• Super2

Posted October 23, 2009 - 06:38 AM

So I take it all I need is a new battery, side panel, uni-filters small ones, and heat gun to re-shape the air box. Is that it for the install. Is there any splicing of wires or anything. It is pretty much just relocation and mounting?

• cornelieaz

Posted October 23, 2009 - 08:28 AM

So I take it all I need is a new battery, side panel, uni-filters small ones, and heat gun to re-shape the air box. Is that it for the install. Is there any splicing of wires or anything. It is pretty much just relocation and mounting?

Just get a DRZ battery, cut out the snorkel and stick the battery down in there nice and snug, drill out some holes in the top of the air box all around the battery, and presto. Relocated. No reshaping necessary. Velcro the fuses/computer bits to the inside bottom of the airbox. Stick that xr600 side panel on and your done.

I've ridden the hell outta my bike with this setup for a long time now. Works like a charm.

• TheBigKahuna

Posted October 23, 2009 - 08:51 AM

What do you do with the old battery box? Storage?

• Chorbelt

Posted October 23, 2009 - 09:16 AM

What do you do with the old battery box? Storage?

Trash. Use the XR6 sideplate.

• cornelieaz

Posted October 23, 2009 - 09:20 AM

Trash. Use the XR6 sideplate.

Man, I sold mine. Everything is worth something to somebody.

• pdxthumper

Posted November 12, 2009 - 09:46 PM

I just finished this mod with the battery on top of the air box. With the relay and fuse box on top of the carb air box boot. To give them a little more protection, I cut a mtn bike tube about 3 inches long and put each one inside a section of tube, then zip tied the ends down, worked very well.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted November 13, 2009 - 06:40 AM

Man, I sold mine. Everything is worth something to somebody.

Yeah, I'll break mine at some point, so hang on to your old one :smirk:

It's depressing, I don't feel much drive to mod the Lpig, I just want the time to ride it.

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Super2

Posted November 13, 2009 - 06:48 AM

I just finished my mod with the drz battery in the airbox. It is awesome very easy to do and the look is so much better with the xr600 side panel.

• Kenzo

Posted November 13, 2009 - 06:51 AM

To give them a little more protection, I cut a mtn bike tube about 3 inches long and put each one inside a section of tube, then zip tied the ends down, worked very well.

that's a gud idea...the "stuff" does get dusty up there :ride:

:smirk:

• Jayedmand

Posted July 18, 2016 - 04:50 AM

Thanks guys http://www.thumperta...R#/applause.gif
Next I'll write a report on how I upgraded my turn signals, front and rear http://www.thumperta...R#/thumbsup.gif

• Jayedmand

Posted July 18, 2016 - 04:51 AM

Hey rascal just wondering what wires you used to charge the battery is it onboard charging or do you have to charge it from a charger

• Finua

Posted July 21, 2016 - 06:34 PM

I went a completely different route. I know that lithium batteries outperform the conventional battery in every way. I also know they will cost me 5 times more and my current charger and booster cables wont work with it so there goes more cash. I installed the stock battery under the seat. The air box had to be cut so that the battery would clear it. Then I welded a support to the frame's crossmember. I opened up the snorkle on top so the battery would fit up top. To finish it off, since the air box was cut it left a big hole in the rear. I covered it with sheet metal, painted it and siliconed the small gap. Solid setup, the battery does not move and it costs less than $50 including the price of a brand new battery.

20160605_163144.jpg 20160605_163149.jpg 20160605_163156.jpg IMG-20160710-WA0003.jpg 20160705_072753.jpg

• cmjb

Posted July 22, 2016 - 07:04 AM

Should have saved the $50 for a used back tire. :smirk:

• Finua

Posted July 22, 2016 - 10:58 AM

:) nope, that is where I spent the $50 I saved. The tire is on its way! Lol

• Jayedmand

Posted July 22, 2016 - 01:21 PM

Looks good what you have done there i have 2 xr 600s might use one for the road and then start a ground up super moto build with the other

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.