Xr650L Battery under the seat

175 replies to this topic
  • Rascal560

Posted September 09, 2008 - 06:18 PM

these are the specs in our reference system. I'm sure there's a very small +/- margin, but it should be really close:

DRZ400 battery "YT7B-BS":
L- 5.9"
W- 2.56"
H- 3.66"
5 lbs

CRF450X battery "YTZ7S"
L- 4.44"
W- 2.75"
H- 4.13
4.7 lbs

Thanks for posting that cornelieaz. :thumbsup:

I put the DRZ battery in my airbox. The height and width are smaller then the CRFX battery, which is good for wedging it into the airbox. The length is larger, but as long as it fits between the frame members (which it does) then that dimension doesn't really matter. :worthy: The DRZ battery does weigh more, but it's really insignificant.

• Gassyphil

Posted September 09, 2008 - 06:30 PM

40 pounds of excess weight removed: smog block-off (4 lbs), taillight and assembly removed (3 lbs), rear fender frame (3 lbs saved) stock muffler replaced (4 lbs saved) stock tank replaced (7 lbs saved), shrouds removed (1 lb). Additionally, the following items can be removed to save additional weight when off-roading: turn signals and mirrors (4 lbs), passenger pegs (4 lbs), headlight, speedometer, horn removed (8 lbs), engine guard removed (2 lbs).

The Horn weighs 8 lbs? :worthy: If it does I'm getting rid of it! :thumbsup:

• Rascal560

Posted September 09, 2008 - 06:41 PM

The Horn weighs 8 lbs? :worthy: If it does I'm getting rid of it! :thumbsup:

You mean you don't have one of these on your bike? :busted:

Posted Image

• Gassyphil

Posted September 09, 2008 - 06:48 PM

[quote name='Rascal560']You mean you don't have one of these on your bike? :worthy:

Posted Image

No! :busted: That would probably stab me! :thumbsup:

• TARFELE

Posted September 10, 2008 - 05:08 AM

Forks Conversion!
Battery Relocation!

You Fockers Need to Stop Posting This SHE'AT:crazy::worthy::crazy::busted::crazy::blah:

:thumbsup:

• cornelieaz

Posted September 10, 2008 - 06:44 AM

Thanks for posting that cornelieaz. :thumbsup:

I put the DRZ battery in my airbox. The height and width are smaller then the CRFX battery, which is good for wedging it into the airbox. The length is larger, but as long as it fits between the frame members (which it does) then that dimension doesn't really matter. :worthy: The DRZ battery does weigh more, but it's really insignificant.

I think I'll be using the DRZ one too. It may give you a little peace of mind to know that for the little extra weight, you get 6.5AH instead of a wee 6AH on the CRF450X battery.

Thanks very much to all these extremely helpful pics too. Everyone.

• 57thMETALHEAD

Posted November 12, 2008 - 12:48 AM

Are there any other batteries that are smaller with the same power?

• martinfan30

Posted November 12, 2008 - 06:57 AM

Are there any other batteries that are smaller with the same power?

Not without spending several hundred dollars.

• motobikem1ke

Posted November 12, 2008 - 07:33 AM

40 pounds of excess weight removed: smog block-off (4 lbs), taillight and assembly removed (3 lbs), rear fender frame (3 lbs saved) stock muffler replaced (4 lbs saved) stock tank replaced (7 lbs saved), shrouds removed (1 lb). Additionally, the following items can be removed to save additional weight when off-roading: turn signals and mirrors (4 lbs), passenger pegs (4 lbs), headlight, speedometer, horn removed (8 lbs), engine guard removed (2 lbs).

The Horn weighs 8 lbs? :moon: If it does I'm getting rid of it! :thumbsup:

Read more carefully... the headlight, speedometer AND horn removed weighs 8 lbs, not just the horn, silly.

• Gassyphil

Posted November 12, 2008 - 01:17 PM

Read more carefully... the headlight, speedometer AND horn removed weighs 8 lbs, not just the horn, silly.

:moon: :moon: :thumbsup: :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lentuk

Posted November 12, 2008 - 06:32 PM

This is a real cool mod, so I decided to get a DRZ battery because I like the dimensions a little better and do this battery relocation to my pig.
I decided that the Yuasa was what I wanted for the quality?
I personally don't really like to by Chinese parts if I don't have to so a Japanese made Yuasa for my Honda sounded like the ticket.
Went to the local dealer and first was the sticker shock, but what really blew me away was it was made in Taiwan!
So my question to you that are more knowledgeable than I about batteries is why pay big bucks for a Yuasa, when you can get a made in Taiwan battery of a different name for half the cost?
Am I missing something?

• Kenzo

Posted November 12, 2008 - 08:02 PM

[quote name='lentuk']This is a real cool mod, so I decided to get a DRZ battery because I like the dimensions a little better and do this battery relocation to my pig.
I decided that the Yuasa was what I wanted for the quality?
I personally don't really like to by Chinese parts if I don't have to so a Japanese made Yuasa for my Honda sounded like the ticket.
Went to the local dealer and first was the sticker shock, but what really blew me away was it was made in Taiwan!
So my question to you that are more knowledgeable than I about batteries is why pay big bucks for a Yuasa, when you can get a made in Taiwan battery of a different name for half the cost?
Am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

yes...wut were they asking for the battery and wut wus the CCA rating?!?

• martinfan30

Posted November 12, 2008 - 08:13 PM

Amp hour and CCA ratings are important. If you can find an off brand battery that is rated similarly to a factory DRZ or CRF battery, Give it a shot!

Especially if it's much cheaper. Just be sure to let us all know how it works out, so others can either benefit or avoid the thing.

• cornelieaz

Posted November 13, 2008 - 07:52 AM

Take it from a guy whose made a living the last four years finding answers to these exact questions (Owner/Operator of Batteries Plus Franchise)...Certain brands are VERY proud of themselves, ie: DieHard, Optima, and yep, YUASA. I've found no performance gain to justify their prices. In fact, I've sold countless batteries to replace Yuasas to riders pissed that they spent that kind of money last time.

CCA, as I discovered in an earlier post on this thread, is mildly important when looking at these very similar batteries. Brand is all about marketing. What makes a MUCH bigger difference in your batteries performance is how you take care of it, and what conditions it is subjected to. Don't run it dead if your bike won't start. Keep it charged as frequently as possible (merely riding will do this). Or keep it on a Battery Tender for storage. Lots of vibration, very hot or very cold conditions will severely excellerate wear on your battery.

Currently I've got the DRZ 7BBS battery in my airbox made by God knows who in China. Works excellent. Always has. I am very satisfied. Never buy "reconditioned" or "rebuilt" and get one locally so you can get it warrantied if you need to. Be good to your battery and what sticker they slapped on there with whatever specs they throw together will be irrelevant.

• Norge

Posted November 13, 2008 - 03:29 PM

Take it from a guy whose made a living the last four years finding answers to these exact questions (Owner/Operator of Batteries Plus Franchise)...Certain brands are VERY proud of themselves, ie: DieHard, Optima, and yep, YUASA. I've found no performance gain to justify their prices. In fact, I've sold countless batteries to replace Yuasas to riders pissed that they spent that kind of money last time.

CCA, as I discovered in an earlier post on this thread, is mildly important when looking at these very similar batteries. Brand is all about marketing. What makes a MUCH bigger difference in your batteries performance is how you take care of it, and what conditions it is subjected to. Don't run it dead if your bike won't start. Keep it charged as frequently as possible (merely riding will do this). Or keep it on a Battery Tender for storage. Lots of vibration, very hot or very cold conditions will severely excellerate wear on your battery.

Currently I've got the DRZ 7BBS battery in my airbox made by God knows who in China. Works excellent. Always has. I am very satisfied. Never buy "reconditioned" or "rebuilt" and get one locally so you can get it warrantied if you need to. Be good to your battery and what sticker they slapped on there with whatever specs they throw together will be irrelevant.

Denn here, that's good info! I'll prolly avoid pricy Yuasa. Wooo Hooo these chicken wings are hot...yum yum.:thumbsup:

• Kenzo

Posted November 13, 2008 - 03:44 PM

Denn here, that's good info! I'll prolly avoid pricy Yuasa. Wooo Hooo these chicken wings are hot...yum yum.:thumbsup:

gotz a feeling the next time Big Denn catches up wit chu he's gunna install a set of rim locks on ur azz.. so not to break off his valve stem in u...:moon:

:moon:

• Norge

Posted November 13, 2008 - 04:17 PM

gotz a feeling the next time Big Denn catches up wit chu he's gunna install a set of rim locks on ur azz.. so not to break off his valve stem in u...:thumbsup:

OUCH! that would prolly hurt, LMAO. Denn 1 is busy with his city job. Those guys are on the go 24/7. What with reading DR and DB magazines, thrifty nickle ads, sending insults to ObamaMod....Denn 1 is just busy busy. My job as Denn 2 is to fill the gap, answer those important TT questions and offer the quality advice that folks expect from Denn. :moon:

• martinfan30

Posted November 13, 2008 - 08:03 PM

OUCH! that would prolly hurt, LMAO. Denn 1 is busy with his city job. Those guys are on the go 24/7. What with reading DR and DB magazines, thrifty nickle ads, sending insults to ObamaMod....Denn 1 is just busy busy. My job as Denn 2 is to fill the gap, answer those important TT questions and offer the quality advice that folks expect from Denn. :moon:

Alter egos from the same IP addy will be deleted...

• Gassyphil

Posted November 13, 2008 - 08:32 PM

Alter egos from the same IP addy will be deleted...

:thumbsup: :ride: :moon: :ride:

• lentuk

Posted November 15, 2008 - 03:07 AM

Well after reading what cornelieaz had to say about batteries I went and bought a generic DRZ battery and a battery tender for about half of what that Yuasa was going to cost.
I had Friday off so I did this, thanks guys for the pics and all of the ideas.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.