Xr650L Battery under the seat

175 replies to this topic
  • martinfan30

Posted July 27, 2008 - 08:03 AM

Nice work Kenny.:ride:

• guinnessextreme

Posted July 27, 2008 - 01:17 PM

Excellent job all. I am currently working on the same project and have been watching the progress. I will get some pics up as soon as I am done.

Kenzo, what year is your bike? I love that style seat!

• Kenzo

Posted July 27, 2008 - 03:16 PM

Nice work Kenny.:ride:

thx, monkey see...monkey do... :mad:

Kenzo, what year is your bike? I love that style seat!

it's a 2001...yeah i like the red and simple "XR"...i've got to add a little foam around the "horn" area, i think the PO desolved most of it by spilling gas down the tank :rant:

the poser in me is actually think'n about nice new white tank ;) the grungy yellow to off-white fade is starting to wear on me.

:p

• jetfuel

Posted July 27, 2008 - 03:24 PM

the poser in me is actually think'n about nice new white tank :ride: the grungy yellow to off-white fade is starting to wear on me.

;)

Try some Westleys Blech-white tire cleaner and some Fine (Gray) scotchbrite it might take away some of the yellowing.

It works well on my Clarke.

• Rascal560

Posted July 27, 2008 - 03:28 PM

...just got done weighing the bike...*drumroll*...

...333lbs with ~3 gallons of fuel & loaded tool bag...with gas at ~7lbs/gallon it puts the bike at a true weight less fuel of 315lbs ;)

Hard to believe it still weighs over 300 lbs. How much does your tool kit weigh? Do you have a front fender bag with tube and patching equip on there also?

I have the same tank as you, I'm gonna have to weigh my bike with the tool kit and front fender pouch off. :ride:

• Kenzo

Posted July 27, 2008 - 03:39 PM

Try some Westleys Blech-white tire cleaner and some Fine (Gray) scotchbrite it might take away some of the yellowing.

It works well on my Clarke.

...really? thx...i spot tested a little Oxi Clean paste and nada...wud probably need a wire brush on the textured areas...

...chit i'll boil the SOB in a bleach solution if it works! :ride:

...the PO bought it in 2001, he added the tank and when i bought it the first part of this year it only had ~1300 miles on it...it probably sat there full of chitty gas for over six years :p

;)

• Kenzo

Posted July 27, 2008 - 03:51 PM

Hard to believe it still weighs over 300 lbs. How much does your tool kit weigh? Do you have a front fender bag with tube and patching equip on there also?

I have the same tank as you, I'm gonna have to weigh my bike with the tool kit and front fender pouch off. :ride:

324lbs is the dry weight spec...the tank swap is a net increase with fuel

i've got ProTaper bars, Acerbis Rally Pro handguards plus ~2.25 quarts of oil...

weight wus taken with an accurate commercial scale and the bike leveled front to rear on both measurements...

front tire...158lbs
rear tire ...175lbs

total ...333lbs
-fuel ...~21lbs

net weight 312lbs...so i rounded up ;)

• Rascal560

Posted July 27, 2008 - 04:44 PM

324lbs is the dry weight spec...the tank swap is a net increase with fuel

i've got ProTaper bars, Acerbis Rally Pro handguards plus ~2.25 quarts of oil...

weight wus taken with an accurate commercial scale and the bike leveled front to rear on both measurements...

front tire...158lbs
rear tire ...175lbs

total ...333lbs
-fuel ...~21lbs

net weight 312lbs...so i rounded up :p

:rant:

Bah! ;)
I sill say your tool kit weighs 20lbs! :ride:
And all that armorall weighs a few lbs too :mad:

• Kenzo

Posted July 27, 2008 - 06:25 PM

Bah! ;)
I sill say your tool kit weighs 20lbs! :ride:
And all that armorall weighs a few lbs too :mad:

armorall...wuts that? :lol:

...and u'll have to ask my girlfriends about the tool :rant:

• guinnessextreme

Posted July 27, 2008 - 07:27 PM

alright, bit of a hijack, but how/where does one accurately weigh a bike? I was told by the PO of my XRL that it came in under 290lbs!?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rascal560

Posted July 27, 2008 - 08:37 PM

alright, bit of a hijack, but how/where does one accurately weigh a bike? I was told by the PO of my XRL that it came in under 290lbs!?

If you have a moving company near you they usually have a truck scale. For a couple bucks they'll probably weight it for you.
What has been done/removed from your bike to make it so light....assuming that it does weigh 290lbs? :ride:

• 1nstr

Posted July 27, 2008 - 11:09 PM

If you have a moving company near you they usually have a truck scale. For a couple bucks they'll probably weight it for you.
What has been done/removed from your bike to make it so light....assuming that it does weigh 290lbs? :ride:

Look in the yellow pages for Toledo scales.

• Kenzo

Posted July 28, 2008 - 05:47 AM

here are some ballpark weight reduction figures...

http://www.dirtrodde...650l/specs.html

http://www.dirtrodde...r650l/diet.html

they are fairly accurate if u round up...i've done all of street mods plus some turn signal mods...if i then add in oil & fuel it comes very close to what i weighed my bike at...

:ride:

• motobikem1ke

Posted July 28, 2008 - 10:35 AM

here are some ballpark weight reduction figures...

http://www.dirtrodde...650l/specs.html

http://www.dirtrodde...r650l/diet.html

they are fairly accurate if u round up...i've done all of street mods plus some turn signal mods...if i then add in oil & fuel it comes very close to what i weighed my bike at...

:ride:

Thanks for the reference! I built that site like in 2002 and just left it up. I kind of forgot about it, but it still gets a ton of hits so I don't want to take it down yet.

And in contribution to this thread, I just ordered a CRF450x battery off of ebay, and a pair of used XR600 side covers to do the battery mod. I will have to add the weight savings to that page on dirtrodders... I am also ordering some USD forks, and I am pretty sure that will also reduce weight... I just haven't decided on which type of fork to go with yet.

• martinfan30

Posted July 28, 2008 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for the reference! I built that site like in 2002 and just left it up. I kind of forgot about it, but it still gets a ton of hits so I don't want to take it down yet.

And in contribution to this thread, I just ordered a CRF450x battery off of ebay, and a pair of used XR600 side covers to do the battery mod. I will have to add the weight savings to that page on dirtrodders... I am also ordering some USD forks, and I am pretty sure that will also reduce weight... I just haven't decided on which type of fork to go with yet.

You made that site? Cool, I always wondered what happened to it. The forums are FULL of spam.

That site got me interested in the 650L and modding it! Thanks.:ride:

Rich

• Kenzo

Posted July 28, 2008 - 04:46 PM

haha...small world...

yeah the USD forks will reduce the weight by about 600-700 dollars by the time ur done...ur wallet that is :p

i like the USD's just can't justify it until my skillz catch up with the bike :ride:

;)

• Rascal560

Posted July 28, 2008 - 04:59 PM

I crashed last weekend. Don't worry, I'm OK and my bike is OK. :ride:

But I did notice something while I was lying on my back and my bike had me pinned down like a 300lb linebacker, dripping gasoline all over my brand new Moose jersey.
I looked up at my forks and realized....hey, they're already upside down. :p

I guess it's all about perspective. ;)

• cornelieaz

Posted September 09, 2008 - 04:22 PM

So I was trying to decide between the DRZ and the CRF450X to use for this relocation. I have the privilege of working at a Batteries Plus store, so I grabbed one of each and load tested them against their claimed cca (85 and 130 cca respectively). Turns out they both put out around 190-210 cca. There are so many variables in how these manufacturers come up with these ratings that I don't think I'll be investing much stock in their cca claims. They're more of a cheap marketing pitch than anything I think ie: Yuasa wants MUCH more for their 130cca CRF450X battery than for the DRZ. I'm sure at some point, in some conditions, they'll be at the rated cca, but not in this "real life" situation. The stock XRL battery clocked in at 210 also for the record. As long as it's an AGM battery of very similar physical volume, I think you're safe.

• martinfan30

Posted September 09, 2008 - 05:00 PM

So I was trying to decide between the DRZ and the CRF450X to use for this relocation. I have the privilege of working at a Batteries Plus store, so I grabbed one of each and load tested them against their claimed cca (85 and 130 cca respectively). Turns out they both put out around 190-210 cca. There are so many variables in how these manufacturers come up with these ratings that I don't think I'll be investing much stock in their cca claims. They're more of a cheap marketing pitch than anything I think ie: Yuasa wants MUCH more for their 130cca CRF450X battery than for the DRZ. I'm sure at some point, in some conditions, they'll be at the rated cca, but not in this "real life" situation. The stock XRL battery clocked in at 210 also for the record. As long as it's an AGM battery of very similar physical volume, I think you're safe.

Which of the two is smaller?

• cornelieaz

Posted September 09, 2008 - 05:26 PM

these are the specs in our reference system. I'm sure there's a very small +/- margin, but it should be really close:

DRZ400 battery "YT7B-BS":
L- 5.9"
W- 2.56"
H- 3.66"
5 lbs

CRF450X battery "YTZ7S"
L- 4.44"
W- 2.75"
H- 4.13
4.7 lbs

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.