Xr650L Battery under the seat

175 replies to this topic
  • Memnok

Posted May 27, 2008 - 03:27 PM

Alright....

Any other thoughts?

Why not use more than one battery. :thumbsup: You can get two smaller batteries that fit better in smaller places, and wire them in parallel. Heck, you could even get three batteries, one in the air box, one under the seat, and one behind the headlight maybe? As long as you don't mind running the wire, you can subdivide the power and place it anywhere you want. Anyone ever thik of lithium polymer? Small, light, explosive... :ride:

• jonr3

Posted May 27, 2008 - 07:31 PM

Why not use more than one battery. You can get two smaller batteries that fit better in smaller places, and wire them in parallel. Heck, you could even get three batteries, one in the air box, one under the seat, and one behind the headlight maybe? As long as you don't mind running the wire, you can subdivide the power and place it anywhere you want. Anyone ever thik of lithium polymer? Small, light, explosive...

The main problem with running multiple batteries - 3 as an example - is that it would triple your chances of having a complete battery failure unless you use an isolator. Without an isolator, if one battery fails it will take the other batteries with it.

• Memnok

Posted May 27, 2008 - 09:22 PM

The main problem with running multiple batteries - 3 as an example - is that it would triple your chances of having a complete battery failure unless you use an isolator. Without an isolator, if one battery fails it will take the other batteries with it.

And how is that any different than having one battery that fails? :thumbsup: You are dead in the water either way!

I guess it will cost you more $$$ to replace all three. :ride: I don't know much about wiring, or batteries, I'm just throwing out and idea. I guess if it worked, someone smarter than me would already be doing it!

• 1nstr

Posted May 28, 2008 - 06:52 PM

If you use a heat gun you can reshape the airbox and get the battery in the upright position with no trouble at all. Use a battery tender and no problems... Also Kenso there are many beautiful ladies here in Bali, but the most beautiful ones are from Java...If you've been here you already know that. I am leaving for home in Hawaii tonight and I will send a picture if I can figure a way to post it of the setup I have.

• martinfan30

Posted May 28, 2008 - 07:07 PM

If you use a heat gun you can reshape the airbox and get the battery in the upright position with no trouble at all. Use a battery tender and no problems... Also Kenso there are many beautiful ladies here in Bali, but the most beautiful ones are from Java...If you've been here you already know that. I am leaving for home in Hawaii tonight and I will send a picture if I can figure a way to post it of the setup I have.

Use photobucket.com . Free and easy photohosting. Hope you had a good time, and caught some fish!

Memnok, the problem with multiple batteries is you now have three batteries to possibly fail rather than one. Possibly increasing a failure possibility.

Mine has been flawless so far. The CRF battery is a better one IMO than the stocker. Lighter, smaller and seems more powerfull in cranking as well.

Definately need a good heat gun to get a good fit in the air box though.

• Kenzo

Posted May 29, 2008 - 05:21 AM

i'm not sure i like the idea of strangling the airfilter by putting the battery in there and then cutting holes in the side panel...i believe i saw a post where the seat pan was modified by cutting out the profile of the battery an mounting it above the airbox...

looking at the pic stolen from KTMBlake's post i wonder about rather than cutting the seat pan, going at it with a heatgun to provide space for a smaller more slender battery??? ...might be a bit more butt friendly.

Posted Image

:thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted May 29, 2008 - 11:43 AM

Could be done...
I have heard that you can feel the battery when done like that.

• 1nstr

Posted June 07, 2008 - 01:21 AM

I think you could use the heat gun to modify the seat pan if you needed to but really no need....there is plenty of room in the airbox and there is no noticeable difference in the performance of the airflow. I heated the airbox itself and just kept pushing into the plastic with a hammer handle and it shaped up nicely. Then I ziptyed the little electronic brain unit along side the battery and got rid of the excess guppy belly on the side panel so that It would still seal the airbox and I swear it looks kinda like my xr400. All the wiring snugged up in front of the box. I also got a switch and cut one of the leads to the head light so it only works when I want it to and the battery gets all the charge. I'll check into the photo bucket thing tomorrow. I belong to another forum that is really easy to post photos into your message and I just got used to it so I'll try to advance tomorrow........

• jonr3

Posted June 08, 2008 - 07:27 PM

Completed my batt. relocation on Friday. Pretty much did the same as MartinFan - nice clean set up. I added a piece of 1 1/2" angle aluminum for the battery to sit on.

Took it off-road Sat. & Sun. and abused it pretty hard (2 crashes even!) Lots of jumps and rocks. Everything stayed in place with no apparent wear or rubbing. I'll try to post some pics on Monday. Overall, I'm very happy with this mod. Thanks MF30 for your posts!:thumbsup: :busted: :busted:

• martinfan30

Posted June 08, 2008 - 08:05 PM

Completed my batt. relocation on Friday. Pretty much did the same as MartinFan - nice clean set up. I added a piece of 1 1/2" angle aluminum for the battery to sit on.

Took it off-road Sat. & Sun. and abused it pretty hard (2 crashes even!) Lots of jumps and rocks. Everything stayed in place with no apparent wear or rubbing. I'll try to post some pics on Monday. Overall, I'm very happy with this mod. Thanks MF30 for your posts!:busted: :busted: :ride:

Just get some pics up like you said, so we can all compare notes!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jonr3

Posted June 09, 2008 - 04:51 AM

Just get some pics up like you said, so we can all compare notes!

Here they are...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted June 09, 2008 - 06:52 AM

Looks good! Thought I was looking at mine until I saw the K&N.:thumbsup:

• Kenzo

Posted July 03, 2008 - 08:07 AM

ok i'm currently researching the CRF Battery Relocation Mod for my L...i found the Yuasa YTZ 7S for ~$80 shipped & the Acerbis XR600 side panels for ~$51 + shipping...seems like a gud upgrade...lose some weight & the fugly suitcase/bracket plus adding the low profile side panel...:thumbsup:

got a few questions...

when u first prepare the airbox/shape it with a heat gun did u first cut out the snorkle opening plastic flange thingy and cut the opening to the battery's dimentions?

is there anything that needs to be modified for mounting the XR600's side plate?

the one downside i see is having to cut holes in the side panel(a la XR650R) and the possibility of an easy route for water to enter if u dump it on that side...it'll want to suck water in the airbox...but what about putting some openings on the other side of the airbox(both sides)? it wud seem to prevent sucking up water unless the bike is totally submerged...any thoughts? :p

TIA,

Kenny

:cry:

• martinfan30

Posted July 03, 2008 - 09:21 AM

ok i'm currently researching the CRF Battery Relocation Mod for my L...i found the Yuasa YTZ 7S for ~$80 shipped & the Acerbis XR600 side panels for ~$51 + shipping...seems like a gud upgrade...lose some weight & the fugly suitcase/bracket plus adding the low profile side panel...:thumbsup:

got a few questions...

[color=blue]when u first prepare the airbox/shape it with a heat gun did u first cut out the snorkle opening plastic flange thingy and cut the opening to the battery's dimentions?[/color]

[color=red]is there anything that needs to be modified for mounting the XR600's side plate?[/color]

[color=green]the one downside i see is having to cut holes in the side panel(a la XR650R) and the possibility of an easy route for water to enter if u dump it on that side...it'll want to suck water in the airbox...but what about putting some openings on the other side of the airbox(both sides)? it wud seem to prevent sucking up water unless the bike is totally submerged...any thoughts? [/color]:p

TIA,

Kenny

:cry:

[color=blue]Yes. Cut the snorkel opening to fit the battery first. Then heat the crap out of the box and then shape it with the battery or some other similar shaped object.[/color]

[color=red]Yes, the rear mount has to be removed from the bike. Drill the rivets. You will see how it works when you get it apart. Its pretty obvious and easy.[/color]

[color=green]I drilled a couple of 1 1/2" holes on the upper right side of the box. I had to have the holes in the side panel, my bike was starving for air at first with the cam/FCR/exhaust.[/color]

• jonr3

Posted July 03, 2008 - 09:22 AM

I cut the top of the airbox first, slid the battery in, and then used a heat gun on the airbox in front of the rear tire. This softened the plastic allowing the battery to slide down a little more.

I guess you could cut some holes in the other side :thumbsup: I don't ride through much standing water, but I guess it couldn't hurt...

• Rascal560

Posted July 14, 2008 - 08:38 PM

First, I started with a DRZ400 battery. I guess a CRF450X battery would be about the same size, but my son has a DRZ so I had the battery available.

I placed the battery on top of the airbox and traced where I was going to cut out.Next, I slid the battery into the new cutout. The battery needed to go down another inch, so I cut a chunk out of the back of the airbox and the battery slid right down to where it needed to be.
Posted Image

Then I used some 1"x1/8" aluminum flat stock to create a cradle for the battery to sit in. I rivited it to the front and back of the airbox.
Posted Image

I still had the problem with the back of the battery hanging out the hole I created in the rear of the airbox. I used a piece of black plastic from the corner of a paint rolling pan to cover the hole.
Posted Image

I used copious quantities of silicone and some rivets to hold it on. It doesn't leak,it looks good, and you can hardly tell that it's there.
Posted Image

Next I drilled lots of holes in the top of the airbox. I figured that it would be better to have the holes on top rather then in the side of the cover in case I went through deep water.
Posted Image

Next, I rerouted the wiring and electronics into the airbox. You can see the cradle I fabricated out of the aluminum stock.
Posted Image

I just slid the battery in and hooked it up.
Posted Image

Side view with battery installed.
Posted Image

Finished, with XR600R side cover on.
Posted Image

Rear view.
Posted Image

The seat did not have to be cut or compromised in any way. The air filter is easy to get in and out. The holes I drilled in the top of the airbox allow plenty of airflow and I haven't had any trouble in water so far. The weight is off of the rear and more centered. All in all...a very positive experience :thumbsup:

• jonr3

Posted July 15, 2008 - 05:25 AM

Nice job Rascal560!

• martinfan30

Posted July 15, 2008 - 06:30 AM

Good work there Rascal!:thumbsup:

• Rascal560

Posted July 15, 2008 - 07:20 AM

Thanks guys :thumbsup:
Next I'll write a report on how I upgraded my turn signals, front and rear :thumbsup:

• Gassyphil

Posted July 15, 2008 - 08:14 AM

That looks good You Rascal You! :thumbsup:

I cant wait to do mine :thumbsup:

I have been waiting because my Battery is new, But now my youngest sons Polaris need a new battery!:bonk:

So I think I will see if the BRP's fits his bike and buy a new one for mine! :thumbsup:

Martinfan I like the new Avatar! :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.