'06 Rear Hub Bearing Pocket Defective?

3 replies to this topic
  • dirtbikindad426

Posted February 25, 2008 - 09:10 AM

Ok I unfortunately got caught up in a crash at the Dirt Diggers Big 6 GP 3 weeks ago. I am now recovering from a sprained MCL on my left knee and off the bike for about 4 more weeks.

So this is the perfect oppotunity to go thru my bike completely from top to bottom cleaning and greasing and replacing. I needed to replace the bearings in my front rim and decide to do the rear too. It felt like the bearing were getting loose. I have a friend take them apart for me and he says the bearing pocket is too big and the rear hub needs replacing. He said its ovaled out so to speak and that is why my bearing was loose.

What I want to know is I have heard that there was a problem with '06s and that many were warrantied by the dealers. Is it too late for me to get mine warrantied? Was this proven to be a defect on Yamaha's part? Who had this problem and got it warrantied by the dealer?

Just trying to figure out if this is a known problem and if I have a chance at getting my hub replaced under warranty due to it being a known problem or should I just buy a new one and move on.

• matts06yzf

Posted February 25, 2008 - 09:27 AM

Well its is a problem. Mine did the exact same thing. I called yamaha and they didnt do anything. I bought talons.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted February 25, 2008 - 09:31 AM

I guess Yami has decided that a too tight chain is the cause eh......ridiculous

• grayracer513

Posted February 25, 2008 - 09:37 AM

There apparently was a run of hubs that were weak on the entire drive side for whatever reason. This was not recognized as a recallable defect, as far as I know, but it does seem to have been a production defect of some sort. Nevertheless, your bike is well out of warranty, so I doubt you can get a replacement from Yamaha.

Retail on the hub is about $115.

Related Content

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.