L Keeps Cutting Out On Water Crossings

7 replies to this topic
  • AtomicGeo

Posted February 25, 2008 - 06:58 AM

On Saturday I went riding on a NM group ride thru Monticello canyon on the ADVrider forum:

http://www.advrider....ad.php?t=314853

As you can see from the pics the water was not very high...but on almost every water crossing (believe me there were plenty , close to 50), my L kept bogging down and engine cutting out. WHY? This was NOT fun. Everybody else made it thru the water w/o any engine cutouts: DR650, TT500, KTM640, F650G, KLR650, DR350, KTM525, others). The water was certainly not a big challenge to ride, but when the engine stops in mid stream...it gets to be a bitch. :) Every time (the e-start was nice to have, and in this case for restarting the L is better then the R), I had to open up the choke all the way to get it going again...Why? Another rider who rides the L also had similar problems as I did (on another ride thru the same canyon). Is water getting down thru the spark plug boot? Or is water getting in the carb some how? Any ideas from this well tuned in group of L advisees?

:smirk:

• husky123

Posted February 25, 2008 - 07:41 AM

My first guess would be your carb vent lines were all under water and the carb couldn't breathe. Some route them into a breather in the airbox. Others may use a breather type system like from George at www.uptiteracing.com.

But....it could be other things like water in your airbox (although it did not look that deep) or something like a "cold seizure" if you were going pretty fast through the water.

• AtomicGeo

Posted February 25, 2008 - 09:29 AM

I believe you might be on the right track...The bike really shut down if I went fast and kicked up alot of water. If I went slow (boring), then I had a 50/50 chance of making it w/o engine cutting out. So the vent lines could have closed off the airflow (hence the reason why I needed to open up the choke manually to restart and blow air thru the carb). The second possibility, water in the air box seems more remote, as it would have had to get under the seat (my air box is desnorkled)...I will look for water marks in my airbox to see if this was the case. "Cold seizure"? Can that really happen if the engine is only in the water momentarily?

My first guess would be your carb vent lines were all under water and the carb couldn't breathe. Some route them into a breather in the airbox. Others may use a breather type system like from George at www.uptiteracing.com.

But....it could be other things like water in your airbox (although it did not look that deep) or something like a "cold seizure" if you were going pretty fast through the water.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted February 25, 2008 - 09:36 AM

I'd say carb vents (maybe) or maybe your plug cap/wire isn't sealed well.

Only time my XRL stalled in water was because the whole bike was underwater.

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AtomicGeo

Posted February 25, 2008 - 09:40 AM

Not sure about the spark plug, as I had to open the choke to get it restarted. Would it be the case if it was the the spark plug?

How would you "seal" the spark plug cap? I think it just has the stock boot on it.

Thanks.

I'd say carb vents (maybe) or maybe your plug cap/wire isn't sealed well.

Only time my XRL stalled in water was because the whole bike was underwater.

Dave

• IMNXNYR

Posted February 25, 2008 - 12:35 PM

Gonna have to agree with Dave on this one. It's probably a venting issue. Just spent the better part of Sunday with the water line of mud holes just slightly above the lower end of my seat and the bike never cut out. My carb vent is routed up and over the seat mount.

• AtomicGeo

Posted February 25, 2008 - 02:25 PM

Is this a carb vent hose that pulls vacuum? or a vent for the float bowl? I suppose I can easily check by systematically going thru the carb hoses one at a time and blocking to see which one make my bike stall. Thanks.

Geo

Gonna have to agree with Dave on this one. It's probably a venting issue. Just spent the better part of Sunday with the water line of mud holes just slightly above the lower end of my seat and the bike never cut out. My carb vent is routed up and over the seat mount.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted February 25, 2008 - 03:29 PM

Not sure about the spark plug, as I had to open the choke to get it restarted. Would it be the case if it was the the spark plug?

How would you "seal" the spark plug cap? I think it just has the stock boot on it.

Thanks.

By 'open the choke' I assume you mean set the choke (on the BRP-L, actually an enrichment circuit) on, making it richer.

Well, if you're a touch lean on the pilot jetting, that might just be because you're starting (once again) with a relatively cool engine after dunking it.

Or, maybe you're getting a tiny bit of water in the carb, into the pilot circuit, and as soon as it starts with the enrichment circuit active, that water just gets sucked right out of the pilot circuit.

It could be also that the spark when wet is a bit weak, and its just easier to light off the slightly richer mixture.

You could pull the tank, and lube up all the spark-plug wire connections that come apart with dielectric grease.

Dave

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.