Dealer invoice price?

34 replies to this topic
  • KTM flyer

Posted February 25, 2008 - 06:50 AM

Does anyone know the actual dealer invoice price for a 2008 YZ450F? Thanks

• William1

Posted February 25, 2008 - 07:05 AM

Invoice varies from dealer to dealer by region. Shipping charges, amount of the holdback, advertising charges and a few other small items affect the invoice. Keep in mind, the holdback is returned to the dealer after the vehicle is sold, so true invoice is minus the holdback.

• grayracer513

Posted February 25, 2008 - 07:08 AM

Remember that Invoice price is NOT what the dealer pays for the bike.

• William1

Posted February 25, 2008 - 08:26 AM

Remember that Invoice price is NOT what the dealer pays for the bike.

This is probably true in a lot of cases. Really depends how the dealer buys bikes. Does he buy an entire truckload? Is he a high volume dealer? Does he get rebated the advertising costs?

As I am sure you know, there are so many games done with accounting, it really becomes a question of "What do you want the invoice to say" Vs. "What is the actual dealer cost". I am a programmer, working for a bank. When I deisgn programs and from time to time they are surprised at results. I ask them "What number would you rather have", scarry isn't it? To think, when we were kids, we though 2 + 2 = 4. In finance, it can be what ever you want.

• grayracer513

Posted February 25, 2008 - 09:30 AM

More reading on Invoice Price and Holdbacks:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/car4.htm

http://www.edmunds.c...93/article.html

http://www.edmunds.c...back/index.html

• Wiz636

Posted February 25, 2008 - 09:36 AM

I am a programmer, working for a bank. When I deisgn programs and from time to time they are surprised at results. I ask them "What number would you rather have", scarry isn't it? To think, when we were kids, we though 2 + 2 = 4. In finance, it can be what ever you want.

Lol...I am a corporate finace manager and yes, 2 + 2 can equal whatever you want. You want to show a profit this month? Easy. You want to show a loss this month? Even easier.

• bnyfe

Posted February 26, 2008 - 06:16 AM

Give or take a few dollars it is about 6150.00 not including rebates.

• krzyaszwhiteboy

Posted February 26, 2008 - 06:48 AM

Give or take a few dollars it is about 6150.00 not including rebates.

Not a chance......I just bought a new 08 for much less than that.

• grayracer513

Posted February 26, 2008 - 08:46 AM

Not a chance......I just bought a new 08 for much less than that.

You're not paying attention. "Invoice" price is always MORE than what the bike actually costs the dealer. Invoices are deliberately inflated sometimes so that bikes can be sold "below invoice". Think about it. If invoice was cost, how would someone sell 100 units below invoice and stay in business?

• krzyaszwhiteboy

Posted February 26, 2008 - 10:39 AM

You're not paying attention. "Invoice" price is always MORE than what the bike actually costs the dealer. Invoices are deliberately inflated sometimes so that bikes can be sold "below invoice". Think about it. If invoice was cost, how would someone sell 100 units below invoice and stay in business?

No I understand all of that, I just can't fathom that they would show invoice that high. I paid almost a thousand less than that invoice price. I guess with rebates and hold back it could be but does not seem likely to me. Then again I could be totally wrong and the dealer made a pile of money off of me. :smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • intensem1rider

Posted February 26, 2008 - 10:55 AM

You got an 08 for around $5200? Can anyone get this price?

• grayracer513

Posted February 26, 2008 - 10:59 AM

I don't know about a "pile" of money, but he almost certainly made a profit. The main points are that:
> There is no single universal dealer invoice price. It is an artificial number, and varies from one dealer to another, and often by more than $1k.

> There is no true relationship at all between the dealer's actual cost and invoice price.

> Unless the dealer is your sponsor, or the bike was a 4 year old left-over, the dealer profited from selling you the bike.

• krzyaszwhiteboy

Posted February 26, 2008 - 11:03 AM

I ended up paying just a hair over 53, but that is before tax and california license. They could have been creative with the numbers on there end and made some money off of what they charged me in tax.

• krzyaszwhiteboy

Posted February 26, 2008 - 11:07 AM

I don't know about a "pile" of money, but he almost certainly made a profit. The main points are that:
> There is no single universal dealer invoice price. It is an artificial number, and varies from one dealer to another, and often by more than $1k.

> There is no true relationship at all between the dealer's actual cost and invoice price.

> Unless the dealer is your sponsor, or the bike was a 4 year old left-over, the dealer profited from selling you the bike.

Of course they made a profit......actually I had went in there to get a 2 year old leftover Honda, but I wanted to see what I could get them to do on the 08 Yamaha. I was happy with the results.

• todds924

Posted February 26, 2008 - 06:54 PM

When i bought mine back in August from the dealer i work for it was 6400.00. I got the first one we got...in the crate. I believe that number has changed since then but i'm not 100% sure. At that same time i could have got a new 07 for 5000.00. I just wanted the first 08 and i ended up getting kicked through the uprights....shoulda waited.

• rickallen124

Posted February 27, 2008 - 07:16 AM

Yamaha has a $500 rebate on the 08 YZ450 right now. As usuall the later you wait the lower the price. I wanted one last fall so I paid about the same as Todd.

• bnyfe

Posted February 28, 2008 - 03:50 PM

I ended up paying just a hair over 53, but that is before tax and california license. They could have been creative with the numbers on there end and made some money off of what they charged me in tax.

When you post a link indicating the price with copies of the paperwork, I will believe that. That's the only way I will believe you paid only a "hair over 5300". You obviously got jacked somewhere else in the deal for more money.

Hey, you could supply the name and number of the dealer who sold you the bike for 5300?

• bnyfe

Posted February 28, 2008 - 03:52 PM

Yamaha has a $500 rebate on the 08 YZ450 right now. As usuall the later you wait the lower the price. I wanted one last fall so I paid about the same as Todd.

Last fall there was a $300 rebate so don't fell too bad. The dealer I bought mine from kept it and did not give it to me either. this guy paid more then 5300. He just paid somewhere else in the deal.

• bnyfe

Posted February 28, 2008 - 03:55 PM

Of course no one can get this price... not even the dealers! this kid paid for the bike somewhere else in the deal ie set up and prep... paperwork... exorbitant tax... no, you can not get an 08 YZ450F for 5200 clams.

• krzyaszwhiteboy

Posted February 28, 2008 - 04:19 PM

Last fall there was a $300 rebate so don't fell too bad. The dealer I bought mine from kept it and did not give it to me either. this guy paid more then 5300. He just paid somewhere else in the deal.

Personally I could care less what you think. I did pay 5349.41 plus tax and california license. I am at work right now so I couldn't tell you the exact breakdown of what tax and ca license was but it was not any more than the standard 7.75% sales tax and the DMV license fees. I am in sales this is what I do for a living. There are numerous way that the dealer could have profited. There is a rebate going on right now and of course I did not get that the dealer kept that. So think what you will it does not make a difference to me.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.