07 yz450f eng failure , anyone else but me

6 replies to this topic
  • dforbes67

Posted February 25, 2008 - 04:07 AM

mine is 9 months old ,well maintained and the plating on the cyl peeled off got in the crank rod bearing and made it start knocking . I beleive its a defect because the piston still looked good , rings were free, and was still cranking first kick just had a knocking sound from rod bearing tore it down to check crank and unexpectedly found cyl damage .I would think anything but a defect would have caused the aluminum piston to be damagaged before or with the plated ,hardened cyl wall . fustrated and broke .

• XpT__cpg_33

Posted February 25, 2008 - 08:26 AM

I have a 2007 no problems so far. I will post up if I do. Sorry to hear the bad news.

• Ga426owner

Posted February 25, 2008 - 08:55 AM

mine is 9 months old ,well maintained and the plating on the cyl peeled off got in the crank rod bearing and made it start knocking . I beleive its a defect because the piston still looked good , rings were free, and was still cranking first kick just had a knocking sound from rod bearing tore it down to check crank and unexpectedly found cyl damage .I would think anything but a defect would have caused the aluminum piston to be damagaged before or with the plated ,hardened cyl wall . fustrated and broke .

who is your dealer here in Ga? You will need them to go to bat for you with Yamaha.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dforbes67

Posted February 25, 2008 - 09:05 AM

eng is at the dealer now and they say that they are waiting to hear from yamaha , right now just keeping fingers crossed and hoping for the best .

• Ga426owner

Posted February 25, 2008 - 09:34 AM

eng is at the dealer now and they say that they are waiting to hear from yamaha , right now just keeping fingers crossed and hoping for the best .

pm me with the dealer name plz. I know the Yamaha rep here in Ga and he is a friend of mine. It may or may not make a difference but hell any help is some help:excuseme:

• dforbes67

Posted February 25, 2008 - 09:46 AM

dealer is Capital Cycle, Bruce wrote it up and I think Bill is who I talked to sat that was waiting on call from yamaha , anything you can do would be greatly appreciated or if you need anything else from me let me know , THANK YOU for your effort .

• 07thommi

Posted February 25, 2008 - 09:50 AM

I hope that Yamaha does good for you, they did for me. I bought a brand new 05 YZ250F and one year later the engine siezed. I tore down the engine and found that a bolt had backed out on a plate holding the main bearings in the case. Then the plate fell and got stuck between the crank and the case. Showed all of this to my local Yamaha shop and they said that if loctite was applied from the factory to that bolt that it would have never happened, so they took the case to Yamaha. Needless to say Yamaha covered ALL of the parts and I let the shop put it back together because of that, and they cut me a den the labor! So a $1,200 total engine rebuild cost me whopping $250!:smirk: :) :ride: Because of this I love Yamaha and my dealer!:ride:

Good Luck!

-mt-

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.