FMF Q core pipe

20 replies to this topic
  • Guy

Posted April 20, 2002 - 07:39 AM

OK guy's gimme the low down on this, I know from searching that a few of us run this, I really need to change from my white bros, after a full day Super Motarding, |I was DEAF in one ear, I never had a problem whilst on the dirt, but on tarmac it a pain in the B*TT!!! and I think a q-coer may be the answer, (I have an insert for my WB...NO good at all :) )
Who has fitted an FMF, did it alter the jetting a great deal and above all is it as quiet as they say????

• Hick

Posted April 20, 2002 - 05:03 PM

It is pretty quiet, but robbed a little of the low and mid rip. In my case it liked slightly leaner jetting on the pilot circuit.

I can't recommend this pipe however because after less than 40 hours it fell apart, the 4 holes in the can where it bolts to the collector ripped out. The problem is the rear bracket isn't fixed to the pipe, it just wraps around it. So the pipe can pivot on that mount up and down slightly which eventually damages the can where it connects to the collector. Very poorly design and execution IMO given the size of the price tag.

So, does anybody know if Arrow has a S/A yet?

• fershy

Posted April 21, 2002 - 05:48 AM

If you are going to spend that kind of money on a pipe, check out the Arrow pipe. The overall length of the unit is longer than anything else and these do pass the F.I.M Sound requirements in Europe.
AS Hick pointed out about the FMF, it is a real slip shod piece of workmanship. The reason they make their brackets in such fashion is to allow them to use the same canister on other platforms without the expense of custom welding brackets for the specific application. I for one did not see FMF pass any manufacturing savings on the customer. Caveat Emptor!
I am using a Big Gun with a Spark Arrestor and quiet core insert. I like the system overall but the price is exorbitant as you need to use their header as well. I would venture to guess that the pipe is slightly quieter than a stock YZ426 exhaust
If you don't mind a bit of custom fab, try getting your hands on a KTM 400 ECX 0r 520 exhaust and cutting it to fit. This will give you a relatively inexpensive pipe with excellent quiet performance. A fellow over at RMD tried this and had excellent results.

Arrow

fershy

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 21, 2002 - 07:04 AM

I hope we get some more choices soon! Maybe the prices will come down a little. :)

• wrsm

Posted April 21, 2002 - 11:03 AM

I was thinking of making a smaller diameter core for the full length of my YZ muffler. Has anyone tried doing this??

So long as I make a smooth transition from the 50mm bore to, say, 35mm and repack it tightly it should be OK shouldn't it??

But if any of you brave souls on TT have tried it and found it does not reduce the sound or strangles the power it will save me a lot of messing about.

Thanks

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted April 21, 2002 - 03:10 PM

Sounds like you are the brave soul around here!! let us know how it turns out!

• Keener

Posted April 21, 2002 - 05:57 PM

I just installed the FMF Powercore IV exhaust 2 weeks ago. Granted, the mounting hardware is a bit cheap, but if you really take the time and align the o-rings properly, it should be fine.
I needed to rejet the bike. I love it! I went ahead and got the silencer end cap. Haven't used it yet because the bike doesn't seem to be offensvely loud.

• lewichris

Posted April 22, 2002 - 04:40 AM

wear ear plugs.

• Guy

Posted April 22, 2002 - 11:08 AM

:D Unless I get the cop accross the street to wear them as well thats NOT gonna work! :D :)

• PMAUST

Posted April 22, 2002 - 05:44 PM

I recently added the FMF Q to my WR. The can strap does suck along with those silly rubber bands they supply. I broke both of them trying to get the darn thing situated and bolted up. I got some hight temp gasket stuff and filled both straps all the way around. I haven't ridden it enough yet to see how well its going to hold up. Man, I hope mine last a little longer than Hicks! So far though, it is the best option here in California that I have found. The can on these things is longer than the WB E-series. But then so is the stock KTM can. Has anyone tried the new SuperTrapp quiet?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mark_UK

Posted April 22, 2002 - 10:43 PM

wrsm I was thinking of making a smaller diameter core for the full length of my YZ muffler. Has anyone tried doing this??
So long as I make a smooth transition from the 50mm bore to, say, 35mm and repack it tightly it should be OK shouldn't it??

But if any of you brave souls on TT have tried it and found it does not reduce the sound or strangles the power it will save me a lot of messing about.

Thanks

WRSM
I think you will find by coating the muffler with a layer of baked on mud, similar to the sort found at the bottom of any welsh bog, this will significantly reduce the decibels, this can be improved further by carefully applying the same treatment to the header pipe.

Its a kinda organic ceramic coating,, if you like.
However I cant really comment on how easy or dificult this is to remove at a later date,,,, but why would you want to??????

• Mark_UK

Posted April 22, 2002 - 10:44 PM

:)

• DirtFish

Posted April 23, 2002 - 08:20 AM

Guy, I have the FMF PowerCore IV Q on my 01 WR426. (last year's name for the FMF Q). I've had it for a year now and it's worked fine and held up without any problems. You have to take your time when mounting it so the strap and rubber goes around the can right.

I did not do a lot of research before buying. It's what the local shop had in stock, and I wanted something quieter than a uncorked stock WR pipe.

• Guy

Posted April 23, 2002 - 10:10 AM

:) Thanks guy's, I had a look at an FMF can, I wasn't that impressed with the build quality, certainly not for that money, it is not a patch on an E-series anyway.
I did some research and found WB do a extra long can called the "Enduro quiet" so I went for this and there is a marked improvement, with 12 discs in it is quieter than the short E with 8 discs, when I dropped it to 8 discs, I am about where I want to be noise wise. Top Result I think,
Thanks everyone for the input,
TT rides again!! :D

• Hick

Posted April 23, 2002 - 12:46 PM

Originally posted by PMAUST:
The can strap does suck along with those silly rubber bands they supply. I broke both of them trying to get the darn thing situated and bolted up. I got some hight temp gasket stuff and filled both straps all the way around. I haven't ridden it enough yet to see how well its going to hold up. Man, I hope mine last a little longer than Hicks!

If it were me I would call FMF and get some more of those o-rings, or locate a suitably similar replacement. I just think the ability of that assembly to hold the can solidly in place is suspect at best even when installed perfectly.

Make sure the can does not become loose or wobbly, keep the rear bracket bolt snug and keep a close eye on the four small (~ 4mm) allen-head screws that hold the can to the collector.

Hope this helps some.

• northernryder

Posted April 23, 2002 - 10:12 PM

what about a pro circuit pipe? does anybody have one of these on their bike.

• Guy

Posted April 24, 2002 - 03:58 AM

:D I had a real good look at the Arrow can before buying another "E", it is a touch long, only available in Titanium (or a Paris Dakar thing) and resembles a bike mounted mortar launcher! :D decided against it!!!
From the pics, I swear it comes up higher and further back than the back light! :)
Have a look and see Arrow pipes on WR (super Moto) Then click on the "SuperMotos" link, sorry it won't take you straight there!
I know the WR is in SM trim, but it's still a large pipe! :D

[ April 24, 2002: Message edited by: Guy ]

• Kermit

Posted April 24, 2002 - 07:12 AM

[ April 24, 2002: Message edited by: Kermit ]

• Hick

Posted April 24, 2002 - 02:00 PM

Originally posted by northernryder:
what about a pro circuit pipe? does anybody have one of these on their bike.

Had one for over a year on my '00, don't run it anymore because the header (the PC T4 system replaces the header, you can't use the stock one) is too close to the petcock on my Acerbis tank.

It is very well designed and well made, probably even sturdier and more leak proof than the stocker yet it is lighter. Robs a little of the over rev for more power in the low to mid area. But about as loud as 747 flying over a diesel locomotive.

Hope this helps.

• Greg_Shaw

Posted April 24, 2002 - 02:09 PM

I have the Big Gun Header & muffler, with the small end cap, krizzman insert the noise is 97-98 dB. Stock WR is 101 dB (i.e. ticket) The service I received through Paul at Big Gun was oustanding when I needed to change the header because of the IMS tank/ YZ seat. Cannot say enough good things, they tried to find an old header & swap it straight across but no luck. Ended up with the good guy brother inlaw discout (less than dealer cost). Also their a great resource for tech support, i.e. jetting, noise etc.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.