Lowered footpegs

12 replies to this topic
  • BrandonW

Posted April 20, 2002 - 05:11 AM

I have read through the archives, and it sounds like this is a functional mod.

I plan on pulling the pegs today, but was wondering if there is anybody out there who "snugged" up the peg with a washer, and wish that they had done some welding instead?

Thanks.

Brandon

• BigDesto

Posted April 22, 2002 - 05:27 AM

I lowered my pegs by cutting off the barrell where the sprind goes around and welding it to the other footpeg on top, and then swapping springs to the other side. Are you using washers instead of welding? Moves footpegs 1/2" down and back, i'm 6'3" so anything helps. :)

• BigDesto

Posted April 22, 2002 - 05:27 AM

I lowered my pegs by cutting off the barrell where the sprind goes around and welding it to the other footpeg on top, and then swapping springs to the other side. Are you using washers instead of welding? Moves footpegs 1/2" down and back, i'm 6'3" so anything helps. :)

• MOmilkman

Posted April 22, 2002 - 07:27 AM

I have been thinking about doing this mod but Im still waiting on someone that has done this before to post and let me know if they notice a difference in stubbing toes on rocks, roots, etc.

I know my feet hit stuff enough as is. I hate to make it more of a problem. :)
Anyone???

• BrandonW

Posted April 22, 2002 - 07:41 AM

I pulled off the pegs on yesterday, and I cut the "barrels" off with a hack-saw.

As easy as it looks, I cannot justify not welding the barrels back on, just on the other side of the peg.

I wonder about the increased peg-dragging factor as well.

On another note: Go Seahawks!

• KerryT

Posted April 22, 2002 - 07:55 AM

I did this mod and just put a big washer in there to take up the space removed by the saw blade. I don't notice any more footpeg drag then before but I'm still paranoid about hitting tree stumps and such. I did this mod about 2 years ago and weigh 230lbs. + gear. I've not had a problem yet. But I don't do very big jumps either. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BigDesto

Posted April 22, 2002 - 08:10 AM

For myself it has helped out.A little easier to shift since my foot is back a little more.The brake is now at the end of my toe,good feel,Just the right position. Have had no problems with hitting the ground,even when casing on doubles.If you ride with your toes pointing down(wrong way)you might! :)

• Woodzi

Posted April 22, 2002 - 10:08 AM

Do not do this mod without welding!!! With no welding, the load on the pin is greatly increased and it will bend or break.

• CHris_PArks

Posted April 22, 2002 - 04:25 PM

mine are at the welding shop as we speak. we doing this my self would have ended in me killing my self with the welder.;

• The_Missile

Posted April 23, 2002 - 11:17 PM

If did this about 3 months ago. I have encountered no problems whatsover. I too welded the barrel back on, no washer. It probably doesnt make as much difference as a tall seat and bar-risers or new triple clamp/handlebar combo, but when you are 6'3 every little helps. I did all mods (seat/triples/bar/footpegs) in one go and it is completely different bike.

Side-note...if you are feeling cramped you may be leaning to far forward (especially in turns) Get someone who know what you should be doing to observe your body position in a turn. Since I did my course I no-longer feel cramped and turn way better than I ever did before.

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted May 06, 2002 - 09:07 PM

I finally installed my lowered pegs and rode with them yesterday. It was 50 mile fire road/two-track day with the wife so stubbing toes was not really an issue. I can't imagine that 1/2" will make me any more paranoid about my feet - size 13s will do that to you... The lowered pegs are more comfortable and I can work the rear brake much easier now. The only downside is now the kickstand is even more of a problem. My heel gets hung up in the spring and forces the kickstand about halfway down. Not having a kickstand on a dualsport ride is not an attractive option.....

Brian

• Tim_in_WA

Posted May 06, 2002 - 02:33 PM

Hey Brandon, how's the arm? How soon before you can get the beast out on the trails???

• BrandonW

Posted May 07, 2002 - 08:31 AM

Hey Tim,
Well, I have an appointment to get the cast off on the 17th of this month. REALLY loking forward to that.
Just between you and me though, I have had a little "saddle time" lately. Road last weekend up the Rock Island Grade. I am trying to find the best way to access Douglas Creek without having to take SR28.
After the 17th, I don't think my bike will have a chance to cool down until sometime around Christmas!
:)

Brandon

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.