Dr D slip on question

9 replies to this topic
  • nfoley

Posted February 24, 2008 - 01:22 PM

Got my Dr D slip on for my 03 wr450. The pipe slips on the header pipe but noticed there is no clamp supplied. Did you guys do anything at the header/slipon connection (ie high temp sealant, etc) or just leave it kind of loose there?
Also noticed contact between the pipe and frame - is that normal or should I try and shim the pipe away?

• HillsWRryder

Posted February 24, 2008 - 07:16 PM

I just installed my DRD slipon last thursday (06 WR), I too noticed there is no clamp. But it fits pretty tight, and the "flange" if you will is pretty long as well so I'm not too worried about it. As for your frame issue idk, I had no such problem. I love my slip on thus far, good luck.

Mountain

• dirtysouth

Posted February 24, 2008 - 07:26 PM

Got my Dr D slip on for my 03 wr450. The pipe slips on the header pipe but noticed there is no clamp supplied. Did you guys do anything at the header/slipon connection (ie high temp sealant, etc) or just leave it kind of loose there?
Also noticed contact between the pipe and frame - is that normal or should I try and shim the pipe away?

Dude I am really glad that you posted on this. You are not the first to have problems surprise you concerning Dr.D equipment after you receive it. If you do a search you will find plently more. I would send it back and get a can that does not have any issues...white brothers maybe. I am sure that the pipe touching the frame is normal for DrD since the full system inhibits your ability to change the oil filter w/o loosening the header bolts. If the shoe fits....

I said this before...if you drop big bucks (DrD aint cheap) on some parts that are supposed to make your bike "better", most reasonable individuals would expect that you are paying for something that has been tried and trued before its sent to the market. I could build my own pipe and can that would fit "close" to correct and maybe touch the frame. For the money spent I expect this type of part not to surprise me. :smirk: Maybe performance is better but friction losses due to a bend that clears the frame are minimal in my opinion given the magnitude of the situation(s). Guess its all in what you are willing to put up with.:)

• nfoley

Posted February 24, 2008 - 07:27 PM

HillsWRyder,
Did yours come with some sort of rubber spacer to put in the larger mounting hole on the pipe (The one that mounts near the seat)?

• clark4131

Posted February 24, 2008 - 09:47 PM

Mounting a Dr. D pipe on a WR requires a kit in order to properly install it. You may also need a header designed for the YZ in order for the can to fit tightly...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beezer

Posted February 25, 2008 - 06:32 AM

WB pipes don't have a clamp either. I just hit them with a little high temp silicone. It's never caused any problem for me.

I bet a washer on the midpipe mount is all you need to move the pipe away from the frame.

• HillsWRryder

Posted February 25, 2008 - 10:05 AM

I used the rubber mount from the stock can. I'm very pleased with the pipe it seems really well made, and I had no such problems with fitment. I did have problems getting it in (on back order) but thats all.

• nfoley

Posted February 25, 2008 - 10:49 AM

Well the 03 does not come with the rubber mount so I went to the local hardward store and ended up making one out of a rubber stopper and some washers. Also ended up using some high temp gasket sealant at the header connection. DrD says you don't need one but the fit wasn't that tight - I couldn't imagine not having an air leak without some kind of sealant. Also I ended up using some spacers so the pipe wouldn't contact the frame. Everything looks good.
I will try it out tomorrow and post how it all works.

• nfoley

Posted February 25, 2008 - 10:51 AM

By the way, the mounting kit that DrD sells is $27 plus shipping, and all it is is the rubber mount and a longer bolt. Only spent $3 at ACE.

• rtrolli69

Posted February 25, 2008 - 07:07 PM

OK guys gotta put my 2cents in!Ive got an 05 WR450,purchased the DRD,full sys.It cleared the frame fine,just loosen the bolts on the rear part...Slip-on of the exhaust& pull the oil filter on oil changes.no loosening of the header bolts!didnt use any sealant on the connection it fit tight.My brother has an 03&he wishes he had bought the DRD.we havent tried slipping it on his,but he has a WBROS and it runs great.Its just a loud S.O.B.!Thats my experiance ok.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.