Vin

18 replies to this topic
  • 450_gal

Posted February 24, 2008 - 11:41 AM

Are the VIN numbers for YZ450's also located on the engine? Other than the neck, where would the VIN be?

My bike frame has been powdercoated and you can't see the VIN on the neck. I just wanted to check the other places.

• djtroy

Posted February 24, 2008 - 12:30 PM

Are the VIN numbers for YZ450's also located on the engine? Other than the neck, where would the VIN be?

My bike frame has been powdercoated and you can't see the VIN on the neck. I just wanted to check the other places.

Check the title. :smirk:

• 450_gal

Posted February 24, 2008 - 12:36 PM

Hardy har har :smirk: LOL

I know that. But I still want to see it on the bike.

• grayracer513

Posted February 24, 2008 - 01:35 PM

The frame is the only place. If you want it to show, you'll need to remove the powder coat from it.

It is actually illegal to obscure the VIN in this state, and the bike can lawfully be confiscated because of it until the VIN is verified. That can ruin your ride day quickly.

• almostinvincible119

Posted February 24, 2008 - 01:48 PM

but honestly how many times have you been checked for your vin

• thumpyz

Posted February 24, 2008 - 03:52 PM

It's good to know that, grayracer. Thanks. How can I remove the powdercoat without filing it off?

• grayracer513

Posted February 24, 2008 - 04:12 PM

Every time a Ranger has ever stopped me. Every time.

It's good to know that, grayracer. Thanks. How can I remove the powdercoat without filing it off?

The best qualified people to tell you that may be ones who applied it. There are a number of approaches you might take, such as masking and sand/bead blasting, or "cutting" around the VIN by scratching with a sharp tool, then chipping or carefully grinding just the coating off. The guys that applied it should know better.

• todds924

Posted February 24, 2008 - 06:32 PM

Don't laugh, i have seen a few bikes taken because of that. It DOES happen and if your lucky you won't be taken with the bike till it gets sorted out. The good powdercoating companies will usually put a sticker over the VIN before powdercoating...along with rubber plugs for all the bolt holes.

• 642MX

Posted February 24, 2008 - 07:33 PM

In Indiana the DNR will check it. They just look for a reason to write a ticket.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rexbond007

Posted February 24, 2008 - 07:37 PM

use a grinder with bristle wire brush to "buff" the powder coating.

• almostinvincible119

Posted February 24, 2008 - 09:23 PM

hmm...doesnt happen in florida. but i dont ride trails either...my shi*s not even registered

• The Regulator

Posted February 24, 2008 - 09:29 PM

They do check here in Ca. Last year at Gorman the ranger went right for the Vin and ignored the stickers untill the VIN and paperwork was verified to match. Needless to say, I don't ride there much. :smirk:

• 450_gal

Posted February 24, 2008 - 09:33 PM

The guy we bought the bike from is the guy who owned the powdercoating business. You would think that he would have sense enough not to powdercoat over it.

I think I will take a wire wheel to it to make sure that I don't have any issues in the future when riding.

• krzyaszwhiteboy

Posted February 25, 2008 - 06:50 AM

For sure get that VIN showing. I had to sit cuffed in a rangers truck in glamis for 5 hours 2 years ago because of it.

• Ga426owner

Posted February 25, 2008 - 09:12 AM

they dont mess around in Cali apparently......what happens if your old vintage bike has no vins or if you replace a frame - as they have no vin either?
Cuffed in car over a vin....unbelievable. I guess you need your title on you at all times.....in Cali.

• grayracer513

Posted February 25, 2008 - 09:44 AM

The oldest vintage bikes anyone would actually ride (and for me, that means old) have VIN numbers. When a frame is replaced, you are expected to have a new VIN issued by the DMV to correct the situation. All it takes is about 3-5 hours of your life, and a small fee, of course. :smirk:

• intensem1rider

Posted February 25, 2008 - 02:39 PM

Don't use a wire brush, get a nylon brush, it wont deform the metal and ruin the vin #, it will just get rid of the powder coating.

• grayracer513

Posted February 25, 2008 - 03:15 PM

You think a wire brush will deform numbers stamped in a steel frame?

• rexbond007

Posted February 25, 2008 - 06:25 PM

You think a wire brush will deform numbers stamped in a steel frame?

I was thinking the same!!!

I think nylon will melt ....

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.