YZ450f vs CRF450

14 replies to this topic
  • wolfie12

Posted February 24, 2008 - 09:27 AM

Well, let me start by saying that i owned three previous Yam thumpers, all bought new, including the first 98 YZ400f that started it all. For the last 4 years however, I've been on Hondas. While I was pretty happy with the bikes, Yamaha was the only company paying contingency in the 50+ class this year, so I'm back on blue. From reading alot of the mag reviews, some are saying that the new silencer chokes the motor a bit and its down on power. Others have alluded to the super smooth and easy to ride, non tiring power. As someone who competed in over 110 motos last year, that IS a very important thing to me. All the power in the world isn't any good if the bike isn't putting it to the ground. As such, I'm gonna start the season with it bone stock. I was pleasantly surprised to find that after tearing the whole new bike down this weekend, the steering head, linkages, swingarm and wheels were all well packed with grease from the factory. Hondas come with a light film, if that. I also notice that many of the fasteners are larger or have deeper shoulders to prevent sockets from stripping on them, i.e., the side panel, seat and radiator bolts. The quick adjust clutch, ProTapers, Excell rims, filter access (that was dry from the factory btw), are also nicer than the Honda. The side panels lock into the airbox much better than the Hondas, which often popped out in small crashes. The suspension sounds like its universally well received from anyone who rides it. Maybe this 200 pounder won't need new springs afterall. Im really looking forward to racing this new bike this year.

• grayracer513

Posted February 24, 2008 - 10:03 AM

Maybe this 200 pounder won't need new springs afterall.

I would suggest them.

• todds924

Posted February 24, 2008 - 06:38 PM

I would suggest them.

So would I. I am a little bigger than 200 and the stock springs didn't work out. Another thing if your going to change your springs: Because they changed the linkage on the 08 you will need one size stiffer spring than you would normally need for say an 06 or 07. Forks will be the same though.

• Huckster

Posted February 25, 2008 - 05:20 AM

I see your sponsored by FC. I would suggest taking it there. You wont be disappointed. I am 210-15 and I have an '07 done up by FC and am really happy with it.

• rickallen124

Posted February 25, 2008 - 06:38 AM

Get the suspension done as you are out of the weight range for the stock springs and valving. It will be the biggest improvement you'll get out of the bike.

• Ga426owner

Posted February 25, 2008 - 10:05 AM

FCs recomendation is a 5.6 rear spring for your weight...and mine/.48 in the forks. You will be much happier and get you a exhaust to open up the power.....your bike had grease already?....wow you should feel special no one elses did:excuseme: Welcome back on Blue!

• wolfie12

Posted February 25, 2008 - 03:55 PM

I see your sponsored by FC. I would suggest taking it there. You wont be disappointed. I am 210-15 and I have an '07 done up by FC and am really happy with it.

Thanks for the comments. It was matter if when, not if I got the suspension done. Guess I'll have it done a little earlier from what I'm hearing. As far as the grease, I still packed more in there, but I was pretty surprised. My last few Hondas came with squat from the factory. As far as the exhaust, I have a pretty good line on an all ti 2 brothers system. I think I'm gonna go that route. As far as that stock silencer, it sounds like I could gain 5 hp with a 1/2 inch drill bit and a grinding wheel......:smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TX-SANDMAN

Posted February 25, 2008 - 07:29 PM

No matter how many real world comparisons I read on these two bikes I pay closer attention to those who have spent their own money buying them.

Keep the reviews coming.

• mx614

Posted February 26, 2008 - 02:29 PM

as far as the pipe goes you can get more power and a louder sound with the aftermarket, but my lap times are better with the stock system. Its wierd because with out a lap timer you would swear you were faster with the louder systembut not so in my case. 2 secs a lap diff consistantly and for longer periods with stock. I'm 6'4 200lb B with a 2007 yz450 with 2008 full stock exhaust with pc jetting. hope this helps

• wolfie12

Posted February 26, 2008 - 06:56 PM

as far as the pipe goes you can get more power and a louder sound with the aftermarket, but my lap times are better with the stock system. Its wierd because with out a lap timer you would swear you were faster with the louder systembut not so in my case. 2 secs a lap diff consistantly and for longer periods with stock. I'm 6'4 200lb B with a 2007 yz450 with 2008 full stock exhaust with pc jetting. hope this helps

Good points/interesting, and similar to what I've been thinking about this 08. I've been riding long enough to finally appreciate the whole "usable" power thing. From what I'm hearing the 08 is quite a bit more mellow in the lower and middle ranges, but still pretty close at peak rpm. Like you observed with your stop watch, Im thinking that the stock motor might just very well be the most effective setup, for lap times and minimizing fatigue, for a large percentage of the guys who race the bike. I also race at a few hp tracks, like Southwick, where you just can't have enough power. I think its gonna be a year where I have different pipes for different tracks, just like the old days. What jetting are you using?

• mx614

Posted February 27, 2008 - 05:30 PM

pro circuit ,42 pilot 165 main, stock leak and 2 out on the fuel screw

• wolfie12

Posted February 27, 2008 - 07:41 PM

pro circuit ,42 pilot 165 main, stock leak and 2 out on the fuel screw

Thanks....now maybe when some of the damn snow melts around here...I can actually ride this thing I've been drooling at in my garage for the last week. :smirk:

• sirthumpalot

Posted February 27, 2008 - 08:11 PM

The Dirt Rider review has me really wanting the 08' YZ 450 really bad. It was very interesting to see that the pros thought the YZ felt slower, but they averaged faster laps on the YZ than any other bike. The less-than-pro group turned a very close 2nd fastest laps on the YZ. I'm a little guy at 6'0" 160# w/o gear, and I'm 100% in favor of smooth usable power! :smirk: Great to see a bike making such productive power with a quiet exhaust, I hope the other manufacturers follow closely behind.

• cardoc

Posted February 28, 2008 - 03:34 PM

The original question was YZF vs CRF. I was at the track the other day and talking to a guy in the next truck on an '08 YZF. How do you like it blah blah blah. Turns out he works in a shop and wouldn't own anything besides a YZF. He said he works on these things all day long, and all the others need huge service (top ends, valves, pistons etc...) and the Yamahas run and run. His '07 had 170 hours on it and although he checked the valves regularly they NEVER needed service or adjustment. He never did a top end and the bike ran perfect when he sold it. So all other things being equal - the Yamahas will run better, longer. That seals the deal for me.

• wolfie12

Posted February 28, 2008 - 03:38 PM

The original question was YZF vs CRF. I was at the track the other day and talking to a guy in the next truck on an '08 YZF. How do you like it blah blah blah. Turns out he works in a shop and wouldn't own anything besides a YZF. He said he works on these things all day long, and all the others need huge service (top ends, valves, pistons etc...) and the Yamahas run and run. His '07 had 170 hours on it and although he checked the valves regularly they NEVER needed service or adjustment. He never did a top end and the bike ran perfect when he sold it. So all other things being equal - the Yamahas will run better, longer. That seals the deal for me.

I have a couple of friends in the business and I hear the same thing. I also hear good oil circulation to the valve train, vs a Zook or Kaw, which get much less, according to him this helps prolong engine life.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.