08 YZ 450F maintenance hours HELP!

6 replies to this topic
  • piperojas48

Posted February 24, 2008 - 08:18 AM

I have just purchase my new YZ 450F 2008, and I have also installed an hour meter on it. The thing is, that I have read the manual, and in the part were the maintenance intervals (3-1,3-2 in the manual pages) I found the schedule for the maintenance and lubrication intervals, such as, AFTER BREAK-IN, EVERY RACE, EVERY THIRD (OR 500KM), EVERY FIFTH (OR 1.000KM) and AS REQUIRED. The thing is, that I dont understand were the exact or approx. hours are required to make each change (such as changing de oil and oil filter, and checking valves). :)

:ride: PLEASE someone who can explain to me what EVERY THIRD and EVERY FIFTH really means? and also, were do I can find (maybe a link, if the manual doesnt have the hours regardind the maintenance and lubrication intervals) the exact or approx hours in the bike, to make the correct maintenance? :smirk:
thanks (by the way, sorry my english typing isnt that to god...)

• 2grimjim

Posted February 24, 2008 - 09:53 AM

If you are using an hour meter; replace the oil and filter every 10 hours, check your valves at the first oil change (10 hrs) and every third oil change (30 hrs), clean the air filter after every ride.

• William1

Posted February 24, 2008 - 10:05 AM

I look at an hour on the dirt bike to be like riding a street bike 120 miles, if that makes it easier to figure service intervals.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rexbond007

Posted February 24, 2008 - 10:31 AM

i change oil 5-7 hrs

yes check valves at 10 hrs

change front fork oil at 20 hrs

monitor air filter, you know when you ride in dusty conditions then watch it closely.

re-grease linkage, steering head at 10 - 20 hrs when you have time. then redo at 100 hrs unless you ride in water and pressure wash your bike all the time.

the book is over kill unless you are a hard core racer.

• grayracer513

Posted February 24, 2008 - 10:33 AM

Change your oil after the first hour of operation during break in, then again after another 2-3 hours with a new filter.

10 hours is the absolute outside of the envelope, IMO and is the maximum I will ever use. Ignore the hours, and change your oil and filter every third ride day, or more often than that if there's a race day in the mix. Only the very best oils available have any chance of retaining their viscosity that long.

• piperojas48

Posted February 24, 2008 - 05:35 PM

Thanks a lot for all the info guys, I really appreciate this. Is there anything else, that I need to keep in mind for keeping a nice and clean engine maintenance?

• YZF831

Posted February 24, 2008 - 07:51 PM

I know I'm repeating what's already been said but I also change my oil every 2-3 rides and sometimes sooner if there's been an all day ride or a hard race tossed in there. Cheap insurance I always thought.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.