XR's Only choke plate?

36 replies to this topic
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted February 27, 2008 - 08:57 AM

I think threadlocker will do the trick.Hey Dave the plate prob won't be in until mon-tuesdayish but with all this snow i'd say there no rush.I will give you a jingle when its in and hopefully make an evening out of it.

OK- just let me know.

Almost forgot, need to check and see if the throttle-cable bracket screwhole threads are stripped (that's the screw that was loose). An easy fix if so- I can eyeball that this weekend.

DSave4

• IMNXNYR

Posted February 27, 2008 - 09:41 AM

Ya'll have really peaked my interest in this now. Is this little backfire flapper thing on my butterfly? 07 L 49-state model. I don't recall it while I had it apart but wasn't really looking at the plate either.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted February 27, 2008 - 02:16 PM

Ya'll have really peaked my interest in this now. Is this little backfire flapper thing on my butterfly? 07 L 49-state model. I don't recall it while I had it apart but wasn't really looking at the plate either.

The XR650L is immune- uses an enrichment circuit instead of a choke plate.

Dave

• veetwo tls

Posted February 27, 2008 - 03:39 PM

never used the choke on the OE carb i removed it & pluged the holes.
keep the valves spot on & it was a 2 kick starter.

• danny v

Posted February 28, 2008 - 12:31 AM

Has anybody bought and used the xrsonly choke plate.Is it a direct fit?Because while we had the carb apart for cleaning (thanks to xl650l_Dave great help) we found that the stock one was in pretty bad shape and i was going to replace it with something stonger.Just wanted to make sure it was a direct fit.If anybody has used one let me know what you think.

I put one on my XR 600 R but I needed to use a little #600 paper to take off a little bit of the bottom edge. They are well worth the $. 5 min. install.

• zimak

Posted February 28, 2008 - 05:59 AM

Ok next question, why buy an aftermarket choke plate when all you need to do is remove the flap on the stocker?

I just pulled mine off, ground down the nuts a tad and locktited the hell out of em in maybe 5 minutes.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted February 28, 2008 - 10:05 AM

Ok next question, why buy an aftermarket choke plate when all you need to do is remove the flap on the stocker?

I just pulled mine off, ground down the nuts a tad and locktited the hell out of em in maybe 5 minutes.

Well the question would be, for all cases is the big hole in the stock plate too large to richen up the mixture sufficiently?

Dave

• veetwo tls

Posted February 28, 2008 - 12:00 PM

it's not just the little flap that gets fatigued & brakes it's the hole lot.

[COLOR="Red"]clic on pic for big pics:[/COLOR] (bottom left of pic)
Posted Image

my mate has an 07 XR6 & it fitted straight in when i replaced his for him :smirk:
FWIW i ran the mikuni flat slide on my 02 XR630.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted February 28, 2008 - 03:28 PM

Posted Image

my mate has an 07 XR6 & it fitted straight in when i replaced his for him :smirk:
FWIW i ran the mikuni flat slide on my 02 XR630.

oooOOOHHHHOOoooo.

That makes sense, then.

Dave

• veetwo tls

Posted February 28, 2008 - 03:47 PM

oooOOOHHHHOOoooo.

That makes sense, then.

Dave

my mate came out of it quite cheap. i just ran a new WISECO 1st o/s slug in & i decided to stip down mine again & run a JE630 hi/comp slug & went right through the hole engine top & bottom. i bought all the best to replace things a lot that i did'nt need to but i had the money to burn then & wanted the best i could buy.
so he got a cheap top end rebuild.

just before i sold my 630: i bought it new & had 400,000+ klm total on it when it sold.
Posted Image

i now play on this:
Posted Image

• Ch47_pilot

Posted February 28, 2008 - 07:33 PM

My opinion: I was going to opt for the choke plate, but for the $40 , instead I'm gonna consider it $40 off to order the Mikuni flatside from XR's only. I cant deal with the flat snap-throttle response and buggy 1/4 throttle range of the Kehin stocker anymore. Tolerable in dirt but rather rough for street riding at low speeds. The Mikunis come back in stock next week, and if you give them the specs on your bike they say that they can get the jet and needle set-up close for your setup. I'll let you all know how the order and install turns out. I don't know what problems people seem to have been having with XR's only in the past. So far they have been great to me and very helpful on the phone with my questions.

• veetwo tls

Posted February 28, 2008 - 08:56 PM

My opinion: I was going to opt for the choke plate, but for the $40 , instead I'm gonna consider it $40 off to order the Mikuni flatside from XR's only. I cant deal with the flat snap-throttle response and buggy 1/4 throttle range of the Kehin stocker anymore. Tolerable in dirt but rather rough for street riding at low speeds. The Mikunis come back in stock next week, and if you give them the specs on your bike they say that they can get the jet and needle set-up close for your setup. I'll let you all know how the order and install turns out. I don't know what problems people seem to have been having with XR's only in the past. So far they have been great to me and very helpful on the phone with my questions.

i tried drilling the 1mm depth countersunk hole trick on the OE slide made the pull lighter but still had the flat spot. the 38mm mikuni flat slide fixed my flat spot :smirk:
a keihn pumper is better again though.

never had a problem over here with jeoff & the crew @ BALLARDS XR's ONLY AUSTRALIA extremely helpful guys :) :ride:

• DrPie

Posted March 01, 2008 - 08:04 PM

I'd like to be able to peen the replacement screws like the stockers, but it seems like it'd take a special tool to do it.

Dave

I found out the hard way that this must be done. To make a long story short, I had the bike die out, and it would not restart. After pulling the plug, the tang was smashed into the electrode. hmmmm.... changed the plug, everything is great. Next time out, the choke shaft came out in my hand.... ohhh crap. Shook the bike a little, then heard two screws in the exhaust header. What a wonderfull journey. No damage to the motor when I tore it down. However, when peening the ends of the screws, instead of locktiting like I only did the first time, I found out that too much force will bend the choke shaft, and cause many more headaches. I now back it up from the backside with a long thin piece of pipe.

• big bore

Posted June 19, 2008 - 01:35 AM

I found out the hard way that this must be done. To make a long story short, I had the bike die out, and it would not restart. After pulling the plug, the tang was smashed into the electrode. hmmmm.... changed the plug, everything is great. Next time out, the choke shaft came out in my hand.... ohhh crap. Shook the bike a little, then heard two screws in the exhaust header. What a wonderfull journey. No damage to the motor when I tore it down. However, when peening the ends of the screws, instead of locktiting like I only did the first time, I found out that too much force will bend the choke shaft, and cause many more headaches.[COLOR="Red"] I now back it up from the backside with a long thin piece of pipe[/COLOR].

What does this mean?

Anyone else had any trouble with the XR's only choke plate screws coming out?

Are those Mikuni flatside carbs all single cable?

• veetwo tls

Posted June 19, 2008 - 03:00 AM

Q: Anyone else had any trouble with the XR's only choke plate screws coming out?

A: it is a common problem with the OE. did you use loctite ?

Q: Are those Mikuni flatside carbs all single cable?

A: yes. the return spring is strong enough to not need a duel cable setup.

• big bore

Posted June 19, 2008 - 05:46 AM

Q

Q: Are those Mikuni flatside carbs all single cable?

A: yes. the return spring is strong enough to not need a duel cable setup.

Have a 2 stroke (single cable) carb on my xr600 and lately the slide is not returning all the way down after revving it. The idle screw touches the slide and raises it depending how far you screw it in for the idle speed you want. The idle screw has made a depression in the slide. The slide doesn't always return down where it should.

I think I need a new slide and idle screw in my XR flatside carb.

I was asking about the XR's only choke plate for when i get an XR650 soon.

• Kenzo

Posted June 19, 2008 - 06:31 AM

Posted Image

the 2001 XR650R carb i'm using does not have a cast metal choke plate as pictured(XR600R carb?) it's a steel plate...i don't see how how it cud possibly fail unless the screws fail or fall out...i just removed the choke flap assembly, replaced the soft OE screws, loc-tited and used a small pair of wire snips to deform the threads...total cost $0.70 for the two screws. :thumbsup:

:p

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.