XR's Only choke plate?

36 replies to this topic
  • FASTANDLOWAVENGER

Posted February 24, 2008 - 07:45 AM

Has anybody bought and used the xrsonly choke plate.Is it a direct fit?Because while we had the carb apart for cleaning (thanks to xl650l_Dave great help) we found that the stock one was in pretty bad shape and i was going to replace it with something stonger.Just wanted to make sure it was a direct fit.If anybody has used one let me know what you think.

• Coolidge

Posted February 24, 2008 - 08:00 AM

I have one for my 600r, but havent installed yet. Might do it today, as my bike is semi-apart.

• FASTANDLOWAVENGER

Posted February 24, 2008 - 08:09 AM

Do you know if its direct fit?

• Blacksamwell

Posted February 24, 2008 - 08:13 AM

For my XR650R it was a direct fit.

Posted Image

Remove the two screws take out the old one. Be careful to not allow the choke plate shaft to slide out to one side, or else you'll have some fun trying to get the spring back in position. Use some high strength locking compound on the new screws (provided) and torque them down using the allen wrench that also comes with the XRs Only plate.

I also shortened the mounting screws they provided by a few threads. They were just a bit too long and stuck out into the airstream when the choke was off. Not a lot, but every bit helps, right? :smirk:

Posted Image

• Coolidge

Posted February 24, 2008 - 08:14 AM

Cool....Looks like Im installing mine today as well. Thx for pix

• FASTANDLOWAVENGER

Posted February 24, 2008 - 11:33 AM

So it replaces the hole thing and gets rid of the flap with the hinge?I thought you needed the flap?Just wanted to make sure its what i need before i buy it. What i really need to replace is the flap cause its bent .Does anyone know where i can just get the flap piece?

• FoolishMortal

Posted February 24, 2008 - 11:52 AM

For my XR650R it was a direct fit.

Remove the two screws take out the old one. Be careful to not allow the choke plate shaft to slide out to one side, or else you'll have some fun trying to get the spring back in position. Use some high strength locking compound on the new screws (provided) and torque them down using the allen wrench that also comes with the XRs Only plate.

I also shortened the mounting screws they provided by a few threads. They were just a bit too long and stuck out into the airstream when the choke was off. Not a lot, but every bit helps, right? :smirk:

A mechanic friend did the install on my XR600r while we had the carb apart for a good cleaning and tune. We had to shave down the sides of the plate a little to get it to fit correctly and we definitely had trouble with the spring. After that, though, it went in pretty well. I'm happy to know that there isn't a little flappy thing that can break off and get sucked into the engine...

• FASTANDLOWAVENGER

Posted February 24, 2008 - 12:00 PM

So that gets rid of the flap piece then? With this you do not need it?

• LeadDoggy

Posted February 24, 2008 - 12:06 PM

No flapper required.
I had to run a file on my choke plate from XRs Only but only in a couple of spots for smooth operation.

• HeadTrauma

Posted February 24, 2008 - 12:06 PM

The flapper is just a backfire vent and no you don't need it. Most carbs of all kinds don't have or need them either. Why Keihin thought they did is beyond me. :smirk:

I've never used the choke on my 600.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FASTANDLOWAVENGER

Posted February 24, 2008 - 12:21 PM

Sounds good then but i don't want to lose the use of my choke.I want order one tomorrow.

• Eurobiker

Posted February 25, 2008 - 08:34 AM

Be aware that the stock flap screws are splayed out (to prevent backing out) and will need to have the threaded end ground off to prevent stripping the tapped holes in the butterfly bar. This will make more sense when you see it. Use a dremmel to grind the splayed screws down and then you can back them out without stripping the threads. Attach the new choke plate with the new allen screws and locktite. :smirk:

• FASTANDLOWAVENGER

Posted February 26, 2008 - 12:45 PM

Thanks Alot Guys I Just Ordered One Today.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted February 26, 2008 - 03:34 PM

I'd like to be able to peen the replacement screws like the stockers, but it seems like it'd take a special tool to do it.

Dave

• HeadTrauma

Posted February 26, 2008 - 04:43 PM

A center punch with a fairly broad cone tip would work. I don't know what screws come with the plate, but brass is easier to mushroom out.

• zimak

Posted February 26, 2008 - 05:16 PM

I'm confused, what problem does this solve?

• LeadDoggy

Posted February 26, 2008 - 06:42 PM

I'm confused, what problem does this solve?

The orginal choke plate has a little metal backfire flapper on it. This little plate has been known to break off and head for the motor causing major engine damage.

• HeadTrauma

Posted February 26, 2008 - 07:50 PM

Maybe he meant about the screws....:smirk:

Swaging/mushrooming/peening the threaded end after installing the choke plate keeps them from rattling loose.

• FASTANDLOWAVENGER

Posted February 27, 2008 - 04:47 AM

I think threadlocker will do the trick.Hey Dave the plate prob won't be in until mon-tuesdayish but with all this snow i'd say there no rush.I will give you a jingle when its in and hopefully make an evening out of it.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted February 27, 2008 - 08:55 AM

A center punch with a fairly broad cone tip would work. I don't know what screws come with the plate, but brass is easier to mushroom out.

Was thinking it might be nice to figure out a way that doesn't involve passing a centerpunch through the carb.

Dave

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.