kickstarting '06 wr450

19 replies to this topic
  • simonreeves

Posted February 24, 2008 - 05:48 AM

hope this is'nt a dumb question, & i have searched, but all the references to kickstarting seem to refer to older (i think) models with a manual decompression. These models seem straightforward enough but on my '06 i think it has an auto decompressor, so is there a procedure for kicking it? I normally use the electric start but on cold starts it sometimes struggles, especially if it hasn't been started for a few days. I usually kick it 'till i'm blue in the face, then give up & have to rely on the electric. ( i am using the choke & bike runs fine once started) Thanks for any info.

• 2grimjim

Posted February 24, 2008 - 09:37 AM

Kick it just like a 2-stroke but DON'T EVER open the throttle while trying to start it (even with the electric starter).

• h20mn

Posted February 24, 2008 - 09:59 AM

I have an 06 and when I kick start mine just for the hell of it. I open the throttle slowley half turn and then release it. always starts in maybe two or three kicks at the most. hope this help

• simonreeves

Posted February 24, 2008 - 10:27 AM

thanks for the replies guys, seems there's no great secret to it then, i'll just have to get a little fitter and try a little harder, quick twist on the gas and then just keep kicking (and don't touch throttle again) ! thanks.:smirk:

• Justang

Posted February 24, 2008 - 10:34 AM

My 05 kicks over in 1-2 kicks when cold. Most of the time it's one kick. The e-start does struggle when cold.

• w00dsRider

Posted February 25, 2008 - 04:02 AM

My 05 kicks over in 1-2 kicks when cold. Most of the time it's one kick. The e-start does struggle when cold.

I have an 06 it has auto-decompress and I to have to resort to the kick starter on cold mornings as well.
My routine:
Open petcock, turn the bike on, pull choke, crack the throttle open all the way three times at moderate speed, use the happy button without touching the throttle, for a few cranks if no joy crack the throttle open one or two more times and kick start. Rinse repeat as necessary.

I must admit that I do 'touch' the throttle a very little bit once in awhile but I have my idle set pretty low.

• Justang

Posted February 25, 2008 - 08:31 AM

Yeah, I to touch the throttle at times. 99% of the time I don't need too.
The 05's have auto decompress too. So much nicer than that manual decompress and sequence of starting we used to have to go through.

• texas_hippie

Posted February 25, 2008 - 06:39 PM

I have an 06 and when I kick start mine just for the hell of it. I open the throttle slowley half turn and then release it. always starts in maybe two or three kicks at the most. hope this help

Yep, that works for me!

• brad the best

Posted February 25, 2008 - 10:10 PM

personally if my bike is cold even if i flip the throttle i will kick it for 5 minutes or e-start for 20 seconds . however if i start off at tdc each time with the kick start it will start in about 10 kicks . i mean like -10 with out re-jetting and 10-30

so personally i always put it to TDC when i kick it and it usually fires fist kick in the summer .

• ww44wrf450f

Posted March 05, 2008 - 09:17 PM

if your having broblems starting may I suggest cleaning out the carb n jets is usually a good place to start? after cleaning mine it help 100%?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Face plant

Posted March 06, 2008 - 12:32 AM

[quote name='w00dsRider']I have an 06 it has auto-decompress and I to have to resort to the kick starter on cold mornings as well.
My routine:
Open petcock, turn the bike on, pull choke, crack the throttle open all the way three times at moderate speed, use the happy button without touching the throttle, for a few cranks if no joy crack the throttle open one or two more times and kick start.

Spot on.:eek:
Works every time with mine, even if it's been sitting for 2 weeks ( which sadly does happen sometimes:thumbsdn: ) it still works just like that.:thumbsup:

• wr_matt

Posted March 06, 2008 - 12:45 AM

The '07 is pretty similar.
Twist the throttle 2-3 times, open the choke and kick it over once or twice. Fires right up :thumbsup:

• Eddie5150

Posted March 06, 2008 - 09:51 AM

Same thing with my '06.

eddie

• ajetmech

Posted March 06, 2008 - 10:13 AM

My 06 goes in 1-2 kick's. I had problems a few months back check the valves and re-shimmed the exhust side and no problems. If you got to kick that many times might be a good idea to check valve clearance. Did it myself as per the manual only took about 1 1/2 hours including a trip to buy shims. 7 bucks each. total cost was around 20 bucks including 2 shims, new gasket and a set of feeler gauges. Local bike shops want 150 to 200 plus 15 per shim. dont understand that part when they sell them outright at 7 each.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted March 06, 2008 - 10:16 AM

My 06 goes in 1-2 kick's. I had problems a few months back check the valves and re-shimmed the exhust side and no problems. If you got to kick that many times might be a good idea to check valve clearance. Did it myself as per the manual only took about 1 1/2 hours including a trip to buy shims. 7 bucks each. total cost was around 20 bucks including 2 shims, new gasket and a set of feeler gauges. Local bike shops want 150 to 200 plus 15 per shim. dont understand that part when they sell them outright at 7 each.

i would agree....its all a rip off

• jcorni

Posted March 06, 2008 - 10:24 AM

What is a kick start lever :thumbsup:

• dugabrams

Posted March 06, 2008 - 10:49 AM

if your having broblems starting may I suggest cleaning out the carb n jets is usually a good place to start? after cleaning mine it help 100%?

More specifically the pilot jet, unless your '06 is a mess. If your jetting is good(ie pilot and maybe your starter jet) it should start very easily when kicked.

I had a similar but rare problem, turned out I wansn't getting good spark at low rpm due to a broken stator. Check your spark the old fasion way to eliminate any chance of electrical problems, and then move onto the jetting.

• simonreeves

Posted March 06, 2008 - 12:24 PM

thanks for the many replies guys, i must admit i've got kind of used to the easy button and haven't even looked at the kickstart lately. I'll put some of this advise into practice next chance i get ! Cheers.:thumbsup:

• simonreeves

Posted March 15, 2008 - 10:33 AM

i know it's not the worlds greatest achievement but it made me happy, haven't started her for 2 weeks so i thought it would be a good time to try the 'old-fashioned' method. fuel on, choke on, ignition on, 3 slow full twists of the throttle and kicked it good and solid, took 4 or 5 kicks but that was probably just my slightly rusty techniqe ! Thanks for all the input guys, now the worlds my oyster ! Sorry, getting carried away with my success.:confused:

• simonreeves

Posted March 15, 2008 - 10:41 AM

thanks Woodsrider, your routine seems good for me

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.