5 replies to this topic
  • Ch47_pilot

Posted February 23, 2008 - 09:26 PM

Hi y'all. I've been in and out of this forum for the last 2 years since I bought my 2000 XR600r. It came from a single owner who ran it for preruns on the Baja 1000 for his buggy. I figured I'd finally say hello.

I am a little 5'8 dude and this is my second dirt bike in 15 years. Its a bit tall, but manageable. If it weren't for the ride height and low-end I probably woulda ended up on the ground more than once so far. Great damn bike. I actually got it street legal in AZ when I bought it. I'm in AL now. I sold my street bike because I never rode it; I had more fun riding the XR.

In the middle of my newest mods right now, to include a 200w stator, Halogen kit, Fork stabilizer, and I will post some pics when its all done.

Great forum. thanks for all the good advice so far. Anyone in lower AL who wants to ride sometime, lemme know.

• martinfan30

Posted February 23, 2008 - 09:39 PM

Welcome to TT Ch47! Glad you like the bike and our forum.

I have seen a couple of guys in here who are from AL. Also a few from GA.

I'm sure they will chime in sometime.

• Ch47_pilot

Posted February 23, 2008 - 11:29 PM

P.S., I'm still debating on a stage 1 Hot Cam. I've read a lot of mixed opinions of it so far, and noticed that some people hate it and say the lobes wear out fast (improper break in?) and the low end loss is too excessive, and others say its the best mod they ever did. Be glad to hear anyone else's current warm fuzzy on it based on their experience, or what they've heard. I think with this new header it might make things more fun if it performs as advertised.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • creeky

Posted February 24, 2008 - 05:09 AM

Welcome. The XR600 is a great bike, a ton (almost literally) of fun, reliable as a sledge hammer and will wear you a** out if you are not in good condition. I have owned two stockers and an HRC 628, they always kept a grin on my face (except when picking them up out of the mud) and saw plenty of use. If you are considering suspension work, Factory Connection does a great job. I never found the need to use an aftermarket cam, a good exhaust and an Edelbrock carb provided all the power I needed.

• martinfan30

Posted February 24, 2008 - 06:54 AM

P.S., I'm still debating on a stage 1 Hot Cam. I've read a lot of mixed opinions of it so far, and noticed that some people hate it and say the lobes wear out fast (improper break in?) and the low end loss is too excessive, and others say its the best mod they ever did. Be glad to hear anyone else's current warm fuzzy on it based on their experience, or what they've heard. I think with this new header it might make things more fun if it performs as advertised.

I put one in my L. I LOVE it! The bottom end is no different, at least that I can tell! THe mid-range is where it REALLY starts crankin' up. I highly recomend it.
If you put it together clean, with pleanty of good assy. lube, there will be no issue. Also check all the rockers for any type of wear on the face.

• Billahjack

Posted February 24, 2008 - 03:30 PM

Get either a stage 2 hotcam or honda HRC cam. The Stage 1 isn't worth the cost/effort for the performance gain. Also, you need a header on the bike to make it breath correct with the new cam.

I'm running the HRC on mine because it retains the stock autodecompressor, but its about twice the cost of the Hotcam.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.