Electrosport staor hook-up 600r

8 replies to this topic
  • Coolidge

Posted February 23, 2008 - 05:58 PM

:) I have a Electrosport stator (ESG410) 200w. Its installed but I am a bit confused on the wiring. The instructions dont really match the stator too well. I also had already installed BD kit. The Electro stator has green wire, 2 white wires, black/red wire which seem OK, but it also has a brown and a pink wire. What are these for? The stock stator had only 3 wires. blk/red-to-blk/red on bike, and a green and a white which I had into BD regulator before. I hooked the one white (other is for add'l H/L, correct?) and the green to BD reg like I had before, and blk/red hooked. Bike wont start, but I do have lights still. Anybody out there have exp w/Electrosport stator install on 97 XR600r w/BD kit??? Help! I wanna ride manaña :smirk:

• cleonard

Posted February 23, 2008 - 07:53 PM

The only one you need for the engine to run is the black/red wire. It supplies the high voltage for the CDI to make a spark. On the OEM stator the other end of the ignition coil is grounded to the stator core. If not, then the green wire needs to be connected to the frame.

Disconnect the lighting stuff and get the engine to run first.

Try this -> Disconnect everything except for the black/red. If it doesn't start, connect the green to the frame. If it starts be sure to read what I put below. If it doesn't start there must be something wrong with it. That's all the stator does for the ignition. Make sure the pulse coil didn't get disconnected.

You need to break out the ohm meter and see what is connected to what.

From the site

The G41 has two white lighting coil outputs (2x100W), and one charging output (yellow and pink), which can be used to power a dual sport setup.

Black/red is the ignition source coil output wire

Connect all wires color to color. If you use the G44 for AC lighting only, use only one of the white outputs, leave the other white and the pink and yellow wires unconnected.

I'd guess that there are really 4 coils. The two lighting coils have the green wire as a common. The third coil is the yellow and pink and they are a lower wattage (20 watts?) for running the DC part of the system. The fourth coil is the ignition.

My guess is that you can't parallel the coils for 200 watts in a single setup. If you had to connect the green wire to the frame to get it to start, then you can't use either high power winding for DC, only AC lighting.

• Coolidge

Posted February 23, 2008 - 09:06 PM

Thanks for reply. OK, Ive tried every combo I could find/think of. 1st prob. The Electro stator (I have) has: 2 white wires, 1 blk/red, 1 green, 1 pink, 1 brown. (mine doesnt have yellow/pink, just solid pink wire, and solid brown wire) Ive tried only blk/red w/green to frame (no start) I tried Baja Designs diagram for rewound stator w/old DS kit, which includes reinstalling stock reg removed in orig DS install. Other prob is, I dont own a ohm meter. If I cant figure it out, Im putting stock back for now. Could it be I have wrong stator? I bolted in fine and came from a sealed Electrosport box P/N ESG410

• cleonard

Posted February 23, 2008 - 10:01 PM

I looked at he website and that is the part number that they show.

If you have a volt/ohm meter check the black/red wire resistance to the frame. I don't have an exact number, but it should be 100 to 300 or so ohms. I would try and get it going with all the lighting disconnected. After it starts then worry about the lighting. The lighting coils are much larger wire and are only about 1 ohm.

If you set the meter to AC volts you should get a reading when you kick it. It will not be steady, but you should see numbers from perhaps 20 to 50. The main thing is that you see something.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Coolidge

Posted February 24, 2008 - 06:17 AM

:smirk: ...out of frustration, I re-installed stock stator last night, and bike fired 1st kick. Guess I'll call Electro and BD Monday for advise. Here are the wires from the Electro sport unit (which dont match any diagram I have yet to find)
Posted Image
Posted Image

• Coolidge

Posted February 24, 2008 - 06:21 AM

Hmmmmm, found this:
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=579881

• suharianu

Posted February 24, 2008 - 08:11 AM

I would do an ohm test between the black red and chasis body of the
alternator to see if you get 100 to 300 ohm this will tell you if the
high voltage coil is good.

• moleculo

Posted February 24, 2008 - 04:30 PM

Coolidge,
I believe the exciter coil on your electrosport stator is setup for an XR400 or XR650R. Unlike the 600, these bikes both have floated exciter coils and use a brown wire w/ a female terminal for the second lead. Other than that, the three stators are all pretty much the same.

Not a big deal though. Try attaching the brown wire from the stator to the chassis while leaving the black/red attached to the black/red. I think the bike will start then.

• Coolidge

Posted February 27, 2008 - 10:38 AM

Coolidge,
I believe the exciter coil on your electrosport stator is setup for an XR400 or XR650R. Unlike the 600, these bikes both have floated exciter coils and use a brown wire w/ a female terminal for the second lead. Other than that, the three stators are all pretty much the same.

Not a big deal though. Try attaching the brown wire from the stator to the chassis while leaving the black/red attached to the black/red. I think the bike will start then.

Thanks, I will try that soon.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.