Yz450f 2006 Vs Yz450f 2008

16 replies to this topic
  • team-tuareg

Posted February 23, 2008 - 11:01 AM

Any inputs of why a stock 2006 YZ450F feels powerful on the track than the new 2008 YZ450F?????? We tried both stock at a fast track and the power response is highly marked...

• KJ790

Posted February 23, 2008 - 11:04 AM

Biggest reason is exhaust. I believe there were slight cam changes between the two years, but they aren't big. Get rid of the crap pipe Yamaha put on the 08 and it will be just as powerful.

• grayracer513

Posted February 23, 2008 - 11:24 AM

The pipe is indeed the single biggest reason. However, the changes to the cams were fairly significant. Stock vs. stock, the bike puts out at least one full hp more than an '06 at peak, and Hot Cams has stated that their current cam set for the '06 "doesn't do much for the '08". This would indicate to me that the '08 cams are similar to the cams that Hot Cams is currently offering (they have another set for the '08 in the works).

The thing that makes the bike seem gutless is the fact that at 5000 rpm, it is about 5-6 hp down on the '06, and that is the fault of the exhaust system.

• mxmaddman

Posted February 23, 2008 - 07:31 PM

The broad power it makes, makes it seem slower, but in fact it ran fastest lap times in the dirt rider review after they got done slamming it.

• team-tuareg

Posted February 23, 2008 - 11:11 PM

what brand would be a good exhaust system (YZ450F 2008) for fast open trails and fast mx track riding?

• zachrider

Posted February 26, 2008 - 07:53 PM

i agree on the exhaust. i rode my buddies out at the desert and that exhaust really restricts the bike compared to my 04

• ltrosson

Posted February 26, 2008 - 08:48 PM

I am picking my new 08 on Thursday, I ordered a Dr. D stainless system today. I wanted the white brothers, but was told I could have problems with parts in the future. I had the Dr. D on my 426 and it did great, I never changed the pipe on the 06.

• DPW

Posted February 27, 2008 - 10:53 AM

Any inputs of why a stock 2006 YZ450F feels powerful on the track than the new 2008 YZ450F?????? We tried both stock at a fast track and the power response is highly marked...

which bike had faster lap times?

I saw a picture of Scott Metz's 08 YZ450F from the Altanta SX this past weekend and guess what kind of exhaust he was running?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted February 27, 2008 - 11:51 AM

which bike had faster lap times?

I saw a picture of Scott Metz's 08 YZ450F from the Altanta SX this past weekend and guess what kind of exhaust he was running?

DPW I saw it too with my own eyes......and I could not believe it. I guess that race fuel added a few ponys:excuseme:

• angellmxer

Posted February 29, 2008 - 03:52 PM

could you enlighten us which exhaust he was running?

• DPW

Posted February 29, 2008 - 05:22 PM

could you enlighten us which exhaust he was running?

The stock '08 shorty

• Hempstead

Posted February 29, 2008 - 05:33 PM

maybe they drilled it? its a win win for both yam and the rider yam looks like their enginnering was good, the rider looks like he can be just fast on a bike with less ponies. Just a guess though

• djtroy

Posted February 29, 2008 - 08:10 PM

The 08 has a smooth easy to ride power. Ill take the big hit any day over the 08 power. We removed the 08 silencer first day and it was night and day. The head pipe is bigger too.

• Racegun

Posted February 29, 2008 - 08:52 PM

slightly off topic, but you guys would know,
which year yz cam would suit the 07 wr, being set up for say mainly desert with some technical sections?
Would the 08 cam be a better choice than the 06?

• grayracer513

Posted February 29, 2008 - 10:04 PM

'06 and previous WR's had the same intake cams that were used in '03-'05 YZ450's, so when you installed an '03-'05 YZ e-cam, you got a YZ out of the deal.

But the '07 WR has its own unique set of cams, and I'm not entirely sure what you will end up with if you mix in a YZ exhaust cam.

You can experiment with this if you like, but my recommendation would be the '06 set (both YZ cams, 5TA-12170-10-00, and 5TA-12180-10-00) These will give you good, strong but manageable low and mid range with good top end.

The '06 set is the same profile as the earlier ones, retimed for a slight cutback in brute force at the bottom and a bit better top end. The '07 cams (5TA-12170-20-00 and 5TA-12180-20-00) are retimed '06's for even more top, but less bottom.

The '08's use a totally different cam set that I will guess is more aggressive, since the engine makes more peak HP than any of the older models.

I think what I'd suggest is that you ride an '06 YZ450 and an '03 or '04 and see what you think. Keep in mind that the ignition map in the CDI is going to have an effect on the results you get.

• Racegun

Posted March 01, 2008 - 02:09 PM

Thanks Gray, good info, much appreciated.

• Wiz636

Posted March 02, 2008 - 09:30 AM

I had the opportunity to ride my buddy's new '08 yesterday at a pretty fast and open GP track. He and I are very similar riders and have our bikes set up almost identically. He has an FMF exhaust system...it says 'speed' on the silencer which I had not seen before.

Anyways, I was super impressed with what Yamaha has done to the handling of the '08. The course is pretty fast and open on mostly hard packed dirt over natural terrain so there are several flat sweepers and even some off-camber stuff. Several high speed (5th gear) whoop sections, g-outs, and some big natural terrain jumps. I would say that Yamaha has cured any tendency of the front end to wash out or push...the front end turns in easily and holds it's line like it is on rails. It is so much better in fact that I found I could keep my weight back more in the corners which allowed the rear tire to stay hooked up better.

As far as power was concerned I felt it was giving up a just a little bit on the bottom end, but not much...maybe because of the aftermarket exhaust. Coming out of a corner it took just a tiny bit more clutch work to get it up into the power. The power was smoother than my '06 with the full Leo Vince X-3 system...notice I didn't say less or softer. I really liked it.

Suspension-wise it was like my '06: sweet. Soaked up the chop and braking bumps well yet still bottomed out softly. My buddy is a little heavier than I am and runs his comp. clickers in about 4 - 6 more clicks than I do but it was never harsh for me even so. I would still turn them out for me.

The bottom line for me is the cornering...the front end sticks and the '08 is on rails. Pick a line and it stays there under braking and under power. I felt like I was on my old RM250 in the corners...Nice work Yamaha :smirk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.