Dr. D pricing

9 replies to this topic
  • chevyoffroadzr2

Posted February 22, 2008 - 09:50 PM

2007 YZ450F Full Stainless steel exhaust, $400.00 sound reasonable?

• KAS

Posted February 22, 2008 - 10:19 PM

Sounds like an awesome deal. They retail for like $550.

• rmzRacer293

Posted February 22, 2008 - 10:26 PM

real good deal. but theres someone on here in the classifieds section that has a carbon/stainless system for $400 OBO. I ordered my stainless system for $350 the other day. sponsor price.

• chevyoffroadzr2

Posted February 23, 2008 - 05:48 AM

Sweet, thanks guys..

• grayracer513

Posted February 23, 2008 - 09:16 AM

If the Carbon/Stainless was $50 cheaper, I'd still go for the Titanium system. Carbon is cute, but not that practical for an exhaust.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TahitianRed

Posted February 23, 2008 - 09:36 AM

I believe Dr D runs the Ti/Ti on his personal YZ450F.

• the1_roadrunner

Posted February 23, 2008 - 02:02 PM

If the Carbon/Stainless was $50 cheaper, I'd still go for the Titanium system. Carbon is cute, but not that practical for an exhaust.

Yup, the only advantage is weight. There's no way in hell Carbon fiber will hold up like Ti or SS... even if it was filament wound T1000 fiber which it isn't. It's likely cloth lay-up..... --RR

• grayracer513

Posted February 23, 2008 - 08:44 PM

Depending on how it's made, CF can be ridiculously strong. The springs on Corvettes are made of it. The rear spring weighs about 5 pounds and replaces a stack of steel leaves that weighs closer to 90. I've seen 'Vettes come in that were hit hard on a rear corner where the only thing that wasn't torn off was the end of the spring.

I have a Peugeot CF road bike that I used to race. The factory team used these at the Tour d'France for a few years, and they once had one of their riders go down on a mountain descent so that the bike ended up flying off a 200 foot rocky hillside. The crash destroyed both wheels, tore the fork off, and put a one inch crack in the down tube at the bottom bracket. They ran that same frame for the rest of the Tour, and used it as a practice bike for the rest of the season without a problem.

My son bounced his YZ250F off a boulder hiding in a bush one day. The impact knocked him down, and knocked a chunk off the rock, but the Lightspeed CF case guard was unscathed.

The problem with the mufflers I've seen is that they aren't made thick enough to have a practical level of strength (doing so would obviate the weight advantage over titanium), and they don't put up very well with the kind of heat they get exposed to, especially when the packing fades. But they really do have the bling factor totally sewn up.

• KJ790

Posted February 24, 2008 - 07:54 AM

The problem with the mufflers I've seen is that they aren't made thick enough to have a practical level of strength (doing so would obviate the weight advantage over titanium), and they don't put up very well with the kind of heat they get exposed to, especially when the packing fades. But they really do have the bling factor totally sewn up.

That's why I went ahead and put another layer of carbon fiber with high temp epoxy resin on the inside of my factory 4.1C I got. Made the can twice as thick and quite a bit stiffer. I got it for free, and I have a spare titanium one laying around in case the CF one does fail, but I figure I will see how it lasts and make sure I keep good packing in it.

• CReed12

Posted February 24, 2008 - 02:31 PM

I believe Dr D runs the Ti/Ti on his personal YZ450F.

Carbon won't crumple when hot, like TI.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.