1994 F250 How much can I tow???

9 replies to this topic
  • SBK281

Posted February 22, 2008 - 07:19 PM

I have a 94 F250 ext. cab 4x4 with a 460 and E4OD trans. I am looking to buy a 30 ft Rage'n fifth wheel that weighs 8100lbs empty. I have looked in my manual and can't find ratings for my truck. Anybody towing anything similar.

• urlosin

Posted February 22, 2008 - 08:40 PM

10,000-11,000 should be OK. I had a 1996 identical set up and pulled an enclosed car hauler loaded up to over 10,000 and it handled it no problem and it was a tag. I know guys that haul trailers like that with 1/2 tons. Just make sure everything is up to snuff and get air bags or helpers if all else fails. Also be prepared for 7mpg instead of the usual 10.

• rezrider

Posted February 23, 2008 - 10:15 AM

10,000-11,000 should be OK. I had a 1996 identical set up and pulled an enclosed car hauler loaded up to over 10,000 and it handled it no problem and it was a tag. I know guys that haul trailers like that with 1/2 tons. Just make sure everything is up to snuff and get air bags or helpers if all else fails. Also be prepared for 7mpg instead of the usual 10.

Off track a bit - Hard to belive guys would even consider pulling a trailer of this size with a half ton...8100 "dry/empty" is almost maxxed out for most half tons.

On track - a 3/4 ton with a 460 should pull that trailer ok. keep in mind ALL of the things you'll be loading including people, gear, closthes, water, fuel, toys. It adds up quick! You may want to consider a tranny cooler/gauge unless it already has one. It's nice to know how the equipment is working.

• madera4x4

Posted February 23, 2008 - 12:04 PM

Not problem my father has a 96 F250 w/460 and pulls his 38 foot 5th wheel with 3 slide outs thats 13500 dry.The most important thing is to install 2 large trans coolers on it to help save your trans.Mine is a diesel with the same trans and we have both blown ours trans,no problems after installing the duel coolers.If your going to be pulling alot of hills might also want to put in a trans temp gauge to keep track of it too..A good trans rebuild will set you back $3500 and up

• Chickenhauler

Posted February 26, 2008 - 07:43 AM

I have a 94 F250 ext. cab 4x4 with a 460 and E4OD trans. I am looking to buy a 30 ft Rage'n fifth wheel that weighs 8100lbs empty. I have looked in my manual and can't find ratings for my truck. Anybody towing anything similar.

Look inside the drivers door frame, there should be a decal there that states what GCWR (gross combination weight rating) is for your truck with your specific options (trans, gearing, motor, etc). Now subtract what your truck weighs (you may have to head to a scale to get an accurate weight) and now you can do the math.

General rule is tow capacity of 10,000 lbs for this truck. 8100 dry may be pushing this (especially considering many trlr mfgr's tend to fib a bit on their weights)

Not problem my father has a 96 F250 w/460 and pulls his 38 foot 5th wheel with 3 slide outs thats 13500 dry.The most important thing is to install 2 large trans coolers on it to help save your trans.Mine is a diesel with the same trans and we have both blown ours trans,no problems after installing the duel coolers.If your going to be pulling alot of hills might also want to put in a trans temp gauge to keep track of it too..A good trans rebuild will set you back $3500 and up

Hmmm, I think that the tranny isn't the weak point, but the fact that the entire truck is overloaded.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pfunk

Posted February 26, 2008 - 09:08 AM

most autos dont fair well towing over 10K lbs, and most people want thier truck to tow like nothing is thier. Ive put on a pintle and hauled excavators around and NEVER even came close to heating up any trans (dmax or stroker). plenty of peps behind me pissed off, but its not thier truck and I dont jack rabbit start, to me the brakes are the priority while towing

• madera4x4

Posted February 26, 2008 - 09:59 AM

[QUOTEHmmm, I think that the tranny isn't the weak point, but the fact that the entire truck is overloaded.][/QUOTE]
Guess you never owned a ford with E4OD..Have you ever seen a stock trans cooler on one of these trucks? they are about 3 inchs by 10 inchs.These trucks might be over loaded but the trans will go even empty....weakest link on the OBS ford trucks.Need to rebuild with all steel gears and billit converter.

• RudyF6

Posted February 26, 2008 - 01:35 PM

GCWR for that truck should be 17,500. That's what my '92 was. (Supercab 4x4 460 E4OD) I rolled over a "Cat scale" at a local truckstop with a slide in camper and towing my 27' boat. Can't remember the specific axle weights, but the total was 17,400. Right on the money! Didn't drive too bad either!
BTW, Urlosin, I was impressed as hell with the 7mpg........ I was expecting 4!!

• Chickenhauler

Posted February 26, 2008 - 02:50 PM

Guess you never owned a ford with E4OD..Have you ever seen a stock trans cooler on one of these trucks? they are about 3 inchs by 10 inchs.These trucks might be over loaded but the trans will go even empty....weakest link on the OBS ford trucks.Need to rebuild with all steel gears and billit converter.

Actually, nope, never owned one, but I was a Ford Dealer Certified Tech before deciding I didn't like smashed fingers. My line of expertise was driveline and suspension.

I have seen E40D's in F450's behind PSD's regularly go 200K. This was a fleet belonging to a concrete contractor who had roughly 40 of these units. These trucks were overloaded every minute of their lives, from day 1. Constant running battle with the owner regarding brake and rotor lifespan. 4 foot tunnel box loaded with tools, 8 foot dump bed, and a trailer that almost always contained a mixer and a skid steer. Not a light load.

IDK if we ever had to replace a trans of his under 150k.

The trick-maintenance...severe schedule maintenance....trans fluid changed every 10K, including torque converter capacity and filter.

I will agree the cooler is on the small side. A larger trans cooler doesn't raise your towing capacity, only band-aids the current problem-too light of a truck for the job.

• Zeak

Posted February 27, 2008 - 12:50 PM

Make sure you have the right hitch and the correct rating. Check out the Reese Tow Beast. I have seen many 3/4 ton trucks with 6,000 lb hitches. With the 460 you should be able to tow a house.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.