led turn signals

9 replies to this topic
  • xr650l bum

Posted February 22, 2008 - 06:07 PM

I hooked up some rear led turn signals today. 12 led lights with 2ohm 25w resistors in parallel. They blink nice and all, but they are not very bright. Is this the way they are? I may just go to filament bulb, but aftermarket. What a waste of money!

• martinfan30

Posted February 22, 2008 - 09:29 PM

I hooked up some rear led turn signals today. 12 led lights with 2ohm 25w resistors in parallel. They blink nice and all, but they are not very bright. Is this the way they are? I may just go to filament bulb, but aftermarket. What a waste of money!

I think this is why alot of the A/M LED lights are not DOT. THey just dont light it up during daylight.

• dmvmechanics

Posted February 22, 2008 - 09:32 PM

how fast do they blink? if they blink real fast you may have too big of resistors

• martinfan30

Posted February 22, 2008 - 09:38 PM

how fast do they blink? if they blink real fast you may have too big of resistors

I think he has a good "blink rate". Just not happy with the LED being bright enough.

Although you are right, too much resistance will make the flasher act faster...

• CTXr650L

Posted February 23, 2008 - 03:50 AM

i'd ditch the resistors and get an electronic flasher instead. most auto parts stores have em. the resistors might be giving you a little bit of a dimming effect.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr650l bum

Posted February 23, 2008 - 05:30 AM

I kept the stock turn signals up front. They really dont bother me, dont break or really even burn out. The rear system needed to be changed(no tv set). I used a smaller resistor than what was shown to me. Moto store wanted to sell me some ?ohm 50w resistor. That seemed to big. The blink rate is right on. I went with amber color lens, trying to keep it as DOT as possible. I believe that this is why most makers dont use the amber lens, but clear lens with colored bulbs. I will try some clear lenses with amber bulbs before I shite can the idea.

• Blacksamwell

Posted February 23, 2008 - 05:53 AM

I'm curious to see if you can get the intensity you're looking for by changing out the resistor.

I've got some LED brake/turn lights on my trailer and they are almost too bright.

• xr650l bum

Posted February 23, 2008 - 04:14 PM

I tried to put a smaller resistor in, but it was not enough. The 2 ohm 25w resistor is the right size for the flasher unit. I changed to an 15 amber led light with a clear lense. This is brighter, but does not impress.

• porterdog

Posted February 25, 2008 - 09:03 AM

. This is brighter, but does not impress.

There are HUGE differences in LED quality/output. Try www.superbrightleds.com for some ideas- I got my turns from there and am relatively happy with them. (Always remembering that a) I'm invisible when on a motorcycle, and :smirk: every other driver wants to kill me.)

• xr650l bum

Posted February 25, 2008 - 09:12 AM

I totally agree Pdog. I am over the led craze. I purchased several of the latest and greatest to try. The unit I made for the rear turned out nice. I have learned some things in the process. If you want to stay DOT you cant change a hole lot. This is why I left the front blinkers on, so the law could not say I was in total violation. If using led blinkers with resistors, you are not saving any energy. The led may last longer, but that I have not proven yet. With the brake/ tail light, you just cant beat the dual filament bulb.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.