Hot Start Plunger Stuck

4 replies to this topic
  • Toinky

Posted February 22, 2008 - 04:00 PM

My hot start lever stuck ('06 W450), so I looked into the problem. Found the plunger is frozen in the carb. I loosened the [cheap plastic] nut and tried to pull the plunger up, but it won't budge. I don't want to just yank with major force for fear of trashing it or something else. I'm wondering if anyone has a trick on how to get the plunger unfrozen.

• new2blu

Posted February 22, 2008 - 05:17 PM

Try some sort of liquid to make it more slippery--maybe WD-40. Just make sure it isn't something that is harmful to rubber;due to the rubber o-ring on the plunger.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dirtnerd

Posted February 22, 2008 - 07:27 PM

I had this happen to me on my 06 also and I used liquid wrench and let it sit for a while. Then I used a pair of needle-nose pliers to slowly twist then pull it out. I ended up wrecking the hot start plunger and had to order a new one but it came out. The o ring on the plunger is a seperate part# if you have to order one. Then lube it up (once or twice a year).

• brad the best

Posted February 22, 2008 - 10:53 PM

ok this is how you get it out , you pull out the cable and then put the cable end in the plunger then squeeze it with the needle nose pliers and slowly pull it out . i got mine out with out wrecking it (was seized when i bought it ) and it was hard to pull out . then hone out the bore with a valve guide hone and clean up the piston with some emry or buy a new one , my bore was scratched so i had to clean it with the valve guide hone .

• William1

Posted February 23, 2008 - 09:23 AM

Do not sweat the bore too much. as long as the plunger moves freely, the bore is fine. The Hot Start plunger only seals on the bottom (notice the rubber insert).

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.