Hello all,i am a newbie with a 98 WR400 question

7 replies to this topic
  • sonic1

Posted February 22, 2008 - 02:22 PM

Hi all

I have just found this site and it looks great!!

I have just bought a very nice WR400 1998,its standard apart from a Big Gun exhaust and in great condition.

I love the bike and goes very well,however is there any tuning mods that can be done to the bike without making it unreliable,i use it for green laning and its road registered.

I have read the mods about the grey wire etc but didnt know if it applied to my bike before i go pulling it apart to have a look

Thanks Again

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 22, 2008 - 02:32 PM

Hi all

I have just found this site and it looks great!!

I have just bought a very nice WR400 1998,its standard apart from a Big Gun exhaust and in great condition.

I love the bike and goes very well,however is there any tuning mods that can be done to the bike without making it unreliable,i use it for green laning and its road registered.

I have read the mods about the grey wire etc but didnt know if it applied to my bike before i go pulling it apart to have a look

Thanks Again

Pretty sure European versions in the 90's were totally un-restricted:thumbsup:

• ncampion

Posted February 23, 2008 - 09:06 AM

SJMC Don is correct. Nothing to do to a non-US WR 400. Just watch the throttle slide, they tend to break and can cause serious internal damage. The 400's are otherwise bullet proof.

• sonic1

Posted February 23, 2008 - 11:32 AM

Thanks guy's it is a great bike and i think i am going to spend some money on it to make it beyond mint condition.

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bamster

Posted February 24, 2008 - 02:59 AM

You could YZ time it.
That really wakes up the early WR's.

• sonic1

Posted February 24, 2008 - 06:20 AM

Helllo Bamster

Can you explain?

It already has a YZ rear mudgaurd which looks alot better than the WR one

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 24, 2008 - 09:37 AM

Helllo Bamster

Can you explain?

It already has a YZ rear mudgaurd which looks alot better than the WR one

He's referring to the exhaust cam timing, it will make the bike hit harder but I had a european/canadian 99' WR400 and I really don't think they need any help in the low end hit.... that bike I had was a handful when you cracked the throttle...:smirk:

Now if it could be set up for auto de-comp, thats a different story and will make kickstarting a hell of a lot easier... someone elese will have to tell you if it's possible but that would be a huge advantage, that and a remote hot start.

• 1rkcooper

Posted February 24, 2008 - 03:23 PM

Auto decompression cam is the best mod for the WR400. You can use iether a yz450 exhaust cam or an aftermarket cam such as hotcams. Either way it will make the bike start almost as easy as a two stroke. Check the sticky at the top os the WR and YZ forums pages for tons of great info.

Here is the link to the auto decompression thread. http://www.thumperta...078#post3706078

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.