Forks: Removing Inner from Outter

5 replies to this topic
  • flyte74

Posted February 22, 2008 - 12:34 PM

I'm in the process of replacing the fork seals on my '05 WR450. I am stuck on the part in the manual where it says yank the two tubes apart repeatedly and they will seperate. Well, I have yanked and yanked and yanked and yanked......all to no avail. Is there a certain technique or am I just not doing it fast or hard enough?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 22, 2008 - 12:57 PM

I'm in the process of replacing the fork seals on my '05 WR450. I am stuck on the part in the manual where it says yank the two tubes apart repeatedly and they will seperate. Well, I have yanked and yanked and yanked and yanked......all to no avail. Is there a certain technique or am I just not doing it fast or hard enough?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Have you removed the retainer clip on the seal? Between the dust seal and grease seal there is a spring clip that snaps into a groove, unless you remove it, the seal will not pop out and the tubes will not separate...

The manual should indicate it's location, you just need a flat blade screw driver to pop it out. :smirk:

• Cairn

Posted February 23, 2008 - 01:02 PM

The tubes don't come apart easily. Try heating the outer tube.

Cairn

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtysouth

Posted February 23, 2008 - 02:59 PM

The tubes don't come apart easily. Try heating the outer tube.

Cairn

All I have ever done in the past is snatch the piss out of em. I have even bolted/held inners in place (using the axle guides) before on my old CR forks so I could double grip the outers. I had never done it before so when I inquired the guys at the shop told me to so that and instructed me to yank like I aint never yanked before. I have since been told by a more reputable source that you just have to bump short distances back and forth at the stopping point and sort of "wiggle" it to the point where it wants to come out. I dunno for sure about that, but I do know that yank is the word in my garage when it comes to breaking them apart. Good Luck

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 24, 2008 - 09:46 AM

Weird.... I have never had more than 2 or 3 jerks or yanks before the seal pops out of the outer tube and the inner tube, seal, retainers, etc... come off in one piece.

I have never heard of anyone heating them up, I really don't think you want to impose expansion and contraction onto the outer fork tube... just my 2 cents.

I would make sure the spring retainer on the seal has been removed, I know I probably sound like a broken record but this is coming from the guy that still forgets it himself.... don't even get me started on the retainer clip for the brake side rear wheel bearing... I always forget that one and have come close to ruining a hub trying to remove it :smirk:

• flyte74

Posted February 25, 2008 - 07:15 AM

Got them apart. Just wasn't yanking hard enough. The other fork came apart MUCH easier. Three quick yanks and all was good. The tough one took just about everything I had! It's the first time I have done this, so I thought that much force would ruin something. Thanks for the tips and letting me know I wasn't going to break anything.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.