Getting a Replacement MSO

13 replies to this topic
  • CJCongrove

Posted February 22, 2008 - 11:08 AM

Hello Dual Sporters,

I would like to get a plate for my 98 XR400 here in Virginia, which from what I have read isn't all that tough at the DMV. My problem is, I am not the original owner, and the person I bought the bike from didn't have the MSO. I have tried calling corporate Honda and they told me they are only able to provide a replacement MSO within a year after the purchase.

I know how these things can be fickle and a lot depends on who you talk to on any certain day. Has anyone successfully attained a replacement MSO, and how did you do so?

Would a dealer be able to provide a replacement MSO?

Any leads would be appreciated.

Thanks,
CJ

• T_Reiner

Posted February 22, 2008 - 11:30 AM

It's my understanding "you" can't get a replacement MSO, it would have to go through the dealership that the bike was originally sold through. They would have to stamp it and send it to the original owner/buyer.

Your only option is to apply for a "lost title". Each state has a different procedure for obtaining one, call your local DMV and ask them what to do.

• Bomber

Posted February 22, 2008 - 11:43 AM

Most dealerships keep the MSO's for a number of years. I got the one for my DRZ 6 years after I bought it originally. 10 years is a little long and the original owner would have to get it. I'm not sure if a applying for a lost title would work as they would want info on the previous title that never existed.

• T_Reiner

Posted February 22, 2008 - 11:54 AM

Well the MSO is the same as a title, when the dealership first sold the bike that is the record of it being first sold. So the MSO or Title is still lost, the DMV will have some system to get a new title.

Basically they run the VIN to make sure it not reported stolen in some other state. Once no records are found the issue a new title to that VIN.

btw, I did get a replacement titles for bikes we bought last year, but I had a buddy in the corporate office that was able to push it through. These bikes ere 4-5 years old. Without his help I'd have to had gone through the lost title way.

• CJCongrove

Posted February 22, 2008 - 12:16 PM

Thanks for the ideas guys. I am trying to track down the original owner now to see if they still have it. If that doesn't work I may try the lost title route.

• Bomber

Posted February 22, 2008 - 06:01 PM

Well the MSO is the same as a title, when the dealership first sold the bike that is the record of it being first sold. So the MSO or Title is still lost, the DMV will have some system to get a new title.

Basically they run the VIN to make sure it not reported stolen in some other state. Once no records are found the issue a new title to that VIN.

btw, I did get a replacement titles for bikes we bought last year, but I had a buddy in the corporate office that was able to push it through. These bikes ere 4-5 years old. Without his help I'd have to had gone through the lost title way.

A MSO is a little different than a title. It's a statemnet of where the bike originated from where as a title is a statement of ownership. If you buy just a frame for a custom bike online it will come with an MSO and the state where you live will have no record of you having it you just need it to title it. Usually with an off-road bike or atv the dealer won't give it to you but if you buy an on-road or dual-sport bike it will be sent to the state by the dealer with other info to get a title for the bike. maybe it's different from state to stae but where I'm from until you send in the MSO the state has no idea about it. I went thru all this trying to title a 6 year old off-road only bike fortunatly I have a friend that runs a Harley dealership who helped me.

• T_Reiner

Posted February 23, 2008 - 03:49 PM

If you live in a state where they don't title OHVs or you don't plan to register it because it's a track bike or you don't plan to ride on public lands, the dealer will/must give you the MSO.

You're right, normally the dealership sends it in to the state DMV for you if it is to be titled.

Here in Ohio they don't title trailers under 3000lbs so I only have the MSO for my trailer, the Dealership gives it to the buyer so they have some paperwork in lieu of a Title to prove ownership. I had to show the MSO to get it plated and registered.

good luck CJ

• manganos

Posted February 24, 2008 - 02:54 PM

Good luck in VA with just a MSO. I'm getting ready to bring my title for my 2000 DRZ400E to DMV and see what I can do about getting a plate. I'll make a post here when I do.

• hvec

Posted April 04, 2008 - 02:35 AM

A MSO is a little different than a title. It's a statemnet of where the bike originated from where as a title is a statement of ownership. If you buy just a frame for a custom bike online it will come with an MSO and the state where you live will have no record of you having it you just need it to title it. Usually with an off-road bike or atv the dealer won't give it to you but if you buy an on-road or dual-sport bike it will be sent to the state by the dealer with other info to get a title for the bike. maybe it's different from state to stae but where I'm from until you send in the MSO the state has no idea about it. I went thru all this trying to title a 6 year old off-road only bike fortunatly I have a friend that runs a Harley dealership who helped me.

Bomber - who's your friend in the Harley dealership? I bought my '05 CRF230F used. It was purchased new from Schotts. I believe now "Central Maine Power Sports". I bought my Yamaha FZ6 from them last year. I gave them a call to see if they would have the MSO for my bike and they gave me a number to a man that I believe owned Schotts. He told me the original owner of the bike would have to call and request it. I contacted the original owner and he said he would call and request it. He called me back and said he was unsuccessful in getting it. I have installed my Baja street kit on my bike now. Was looking forward to riding it to the trails.
Do I need it or a title to get a plate in Maine for the street?
Thanks Terry

• durangoman

Posted April 04, 2008 - 08:52 AM

I know a different state, Colorado, but yesterday I titled and plated a dirt bike and I did not need the MSO even tho I had it in hand. The bill of sale was enough. In Colo one can present: MSO, or bill of sale(stating sold as offroad), or dealers invoice to plate a bike-- along with a Vin# verification.

Does Virginia offer other options, other than the MSO, like Colorado?

• Bomber

Posted April 04, 2008 - 03:13 PM

Bomber - who's your friend in the Harley dealership? I bought my '05 CRF230F used. It was purchased new from Schotts. I believe now "Central Maine Power Sports". I bought my Yamaha FZ6 from them last year. I gave them a call to see if they would have the MSO for my bike and they gave me a number to a man that I believe owned Schotts. He told me the original owner of the bike would have to call and request it. I contacted the original owner and he said he would call and request it. He called me back and said he was unsuccessful in getting it. I have installed my Baja street kit on my bike now. Was looking forward to riding it to the trails.
Do I need it or a title to get a plate in Maine for the street?
Thanks Terry

He works at the harley part of that dealership. Both are run by different managers so he wouldn't be any help. I'm assuming if they gave you schott's # then he took all the paper work when he left. Schotts had a little place in the auburn mall for a while selling bikes. I haven't been to there in a year so I don't know if it's still there. There may be other ways of doing it you can always call or go to the bmv and ask ?'s. I know with the mso it's a breeze you probably can with out it you will have to jump thru a few hoops I didn't have to.

• hvec

Posted April 05, 2008 - 03:27 AM

Thanks Bomber
The number I called did go to the Auburn Mall.
He said the paperwork was filed away and the original owner would have to request it. Which when he did he got the run around.
I think/hope I can get it registered to ride on the street - I was hoping to secure a better resale value - just in case I resell it.

Terry

• chokeslam

Posted May 07, 2008 - 06:14 PM

im having the same problem with my xr 400 that i just bought
if you have any luck please let me know i also live in maine and cannot
register without the mso which i cant get.i know the bike has changed owners several times. gonna try filing for lost title i guess

• hvec

Posted May 08, 2008 - 03:25 AM

im having the same problem with my xr 400 that i just bought
if you have any luck please let me know i also live in maine and cannot
register without the mso which i cant get.i know the bike has changed owners several times. gonna try filing for lost title i guess

I did not get the MSO but was able to register mine. It is a crf230f. If < 300cc MSO was not required. They did require me to show proof of purchase for the kit.
I think you can apply for a duplicate title? For the MSO I was told the original owner has to request from the original seller and that should be on file somewhere.
Good luck, where in Maine are you from?
Terry

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.