Damn spark plug removal!

11 replies to this topic
  • toofast2

Posted February 22, 2008 - 07:02 AM

2006 YZ450F:OK,I know how to remove the damn thing:crazy: but the problem is the cap/boot itself,there doesn't seem to be enough room to lift the cap off(looks like it hits frame/gas tank):smirk: can you remove/lift up cap to access the plug without removing tank:confused: as it seems to me
I can't seem to move the cap out of the way:confused: THX and please,no
commentary from the "peanut gallery":moon:

• Ga426owner

Posted February 22, 2008 - 07:52 AM

Peanut Gallery response:
agreed it can be a PITA.....did mine last week. One word of caution....I did everything to keep water out of here when washing bike with plugging holes etc....and the spark plug base was just covered in rust. Make sure once you loosen the plug a couple of turns that you take some contact cleaner /Brake/Carb cleaner and flush out the debree before removing the plug - otherwise you will have a lot of debree fall into the head.:smirk:

I always remove the gastank, it takes some patience to remove and put the cap back on but it will fit, you have to bend it to clear frame- push it down on securely:thumbsup:

• maddogyz250f

Posted February 22, 2008 - 08:00 AM

You have to bend/twist the cap a lot harder than you think is necessary. You will feel like you are going to break it in half. A PITA for sure.

• KJ790

Posted February 22, 2008 - 08:07 AM

I've never had an issue with it. Pull off the gas tank, unplug the wire to it, then pull the cap/coil up out just behind where the frame spars meet. You don't really need to bend it at all.

• grayracer513

Posted February 22, 2008 - 08:41 AM

I've never had an issue with it. Pull off the gas tank, unplug the wire to it, then pull the cap/coil up out just behind where the frame spars meet. You don't really need to bend it at all.

+1

You have to unplug it so the the terminal can be rotated to the rear. The the coil can be tilted (not bent) back some to clear.

• mike train

Posted February 22, 2008 - 10:32 AM

Trick: Liquid Wrench Silicone Spray or equivalent. Pull cap off the plug and out of the valve cover, spray outer and inner surfaces, remove excess. Improvement to removal and replacement of the cap is amazing, and long lasting.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • todds924

Posted February 23, 2008 - 05:02 PM

Peanut Gallery response:
agreed it can be a PITA.....did mine last week. One word of caution....I did everything to keep water out of here when washing bike with plugging holes etc....and the spark plug base was just covered in rust. Make sure once you loosen the plug a couple of turns that you take some contact cleaner /Brake/Carb cleaner and flush out the debree before removing the plug - otherwise you will have a lot of debree fall into the head.:smirk:

I always remove the gastank, it takes some patience to remove and put the cap back on but it will fit, you have to bend it to clear frame- push it down on securely:thumbsup:

Also once you have the Cap/coil pulled out.......Use some compressed air and shoot it into the bleed hole on the side of the head..this gets any dirt and debris out also before removing the plug.

• toofast2

Posted February 24, 2008 - 04:07 AM

Thanks guys,so it seems that you have to remove tank,remove connector to
boot/coil,rotate,and pull:crazy: I can't believe yamaha:foul: to remove a
STINKIN' Spark Plug:thumbsdn:

• William1

Posted February 24, 2008 - 04:24 AM

Fortunately, plug removal on a 4S is extremely infrequent, maybe once a year.

• grayracer513

Posted February 24, 2008 - 09:50 AM

Fortunately, plug removal on a 4S is extremely infrequent, maybe once a year.

Exactly. I don't get the whining. :smirk:

• 02YZ426

Posted February 24, 2008 - 11:24 AM

The only time this becomes a real problem is if you foul out your plug when your about to head to the start line. Usually never happens, but if it does things can turn into a panic in the pits. Thats why I always head to staging early.. just so these things don't cause me to miss a moto.

• grayracer513

Posted February 24, 2008 - 01:16 PM

The only time this becomes a real problem is if you foul out your plug when your about to head to the start line. Usually never happens, ...

It's even less likely with a 450 than a 426 because of the upgrades to the ignition.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.