Steering head bearings and water

4 replies to this topic
  • Ian_FE501

Posted February 21, 2008 - 11:29 PM

All,
Just a reminder about water getting into the steering head bearings, I've just bought another XR with 1500 klms on it, the owner had to replace the bearings for the certificate. The bike obviously hadn't been washed for ages so I gave it one. I removed the stem to check his work and about 100ml of water came out. What's the deal/solution?
The water runs down the hole in the stem with some entering the bearings via the steering lock slot, even more if leant on the side stand.
Solution would be to block the hole at the top.
So when you replace the bearings use heaps of grease, I use the blue Bel-ray water proof.
I guess water would evaporate due to the heat transfer from the oil/frame but most people probably wash the bike after a ride and leave it.
My old XR dosn't have a plug and these bearings have been in for over 20,000 klms now, I'm guesing the water gets in but the grease has created a barrier.

• Thumpmeister

Posted February 22, 2008 - 10:08 AM

I also remember reading somewhere that you can use marine wheel bearing grease as well. Thats what I did.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zipper600

Posted February 22, 2008 - 10:17 AM

....and for easier installation of the race bearings put the races on the freezer for a couple of hours..will be easier to fit on the frame:thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted February 22, 2008 - 02:00 PM

....and for easier installation of the race bearings put the races on the freezer for a couple of hours..will be easier to fit on the frame:thumbsup:

And put the frame in the oven..:smirk:

• zipper600

Posted February 23, 2008 - 02:32 AM

a incinerator is mandatory...:smirk:

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.