XL 350 Carb probs...

6 replies to this topic
  • Thumpmeister

Posted February 21, 2008 - 09:21 PM

I don't know how many of you guys go on the 250/400 forum, but I'm sure someone can help me with my problem...

Alright, I bought this bike in boxes after it had sat for years. I got it all together, and got it running. However, old gas had sat in the carbs for a number of years as well.

So, I cleaned the crap out of the carbs, cleaned all the parts, soaked what I could in carb cleaner for about a day too. I also got new fuel intake valves for both of the carbs, because the old ones were so shot that they would just leak gas all over the place.

Well, I did all this work, and the bike is almost impossible to start when its cold. There are many times when I'm kicking where it was almost start, but just doesn't quite get there. So, eventually I will have to bump start it, and finally it gets going.

Anyone have any ideas so I can get this thing to start easier?

• martinfan30

Posted February 21, 2008 - 09:34 PM

Not quite sure, but have you tried the vintage forum? Theres lots of talk of these bikes there.

• cleonard

Posted February 21, 2008 - 09:52 PM

It can be really hard to get everything out of the little passageways in the carbs. I like to blast the spray can carb cleaner through each and every passageway to be 100% sure that they are clean.

Those dual carb bikes are known to be hard to start. My friend has a XL600. It will start when totally cold or when hot. If it is just a little warm it is almost impossible to start. Too rich with the choke on and too lean without.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted February 21, 2008 - 09:53 PM

It can be really hard to get everything out of the little passageways in the carbs. I like to blast the spray can carb cleaner through each and every passageway to be 100% sure that they are clean. Teh last time I brought an old dead bike back it took four rounds of carb cleaning before it ran right.

Those dual carb bikes are known to be hard to start. My friend has a XL600. It will start when totally cold or when hot. If it is just a little warm it is almost impossible to start. Too rich with the choke on and too lean without.

• Thumpmeister

Posted February 22, 2008 - 10:06 AM

Yeah, I had an XL600 last year, and it was the same way. Would easily start when it was cold or warm, but halfway in between, no dice.

I've cleaned the carbs out three seperate times now, and have soaked the parts in carb cleaner. I replaced the fuel intake valves because it would always drip gas out the overflows. But its still a PITA to start cold.

• Motosprtman

Posted February 22, 2008 - 10:37 AM

check the plug to see if it is wet, indicating of course that you are indeed getting fuel, if it is dry, check the float level and the float needle to make sure and adequate supply of fuel is getting to the carb. make sure the pilot cicuit is clean - blow compressed air through all circuits.

What year XL is this? 80's? or 70's vintage.

• Thumpmeister

Posted February 22, 2008 - 11:11 AM

I did that, and replaced the plug. It looked like it was getting plenty of fuel. Might have been too much. I'm debating weather or not to adjust the air/fuel screw.

Its an 84, dual carbs.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.