IMS Tank Problem

10 replies to this topic
  • alburito

Posted February 21, 2008 - 08:35 PM

Hello all, I just put on a IMS tank on my 08 Wr 450. I finished up and mounted the seat, but it does not bolt on properly. I have to force it in place to get the bolts to line up, and it seems like it sits up a bit high. Also the very front of the seat where it meets up to the tank does not fit just right. Anyone else have this problem??

• tweav

Posted February 21, 2008 - 10:48 PM

yes It is a bit hard to get the seat on the first few times

• KennyMc

Posted February 21, 2008 - 11:01 PM

For me, every time I take the seat off it is still a bit of a PITA. A little elbow grease and she fits.

• tweav

Posted February 22, 2008 - 05:21 AM

For me, every time I take the seat off it is still a bit of a PITA. A little elbow grease and she fits.

If you think yours was hard you should have tryed mine with the rack in the way too , it was a real pain

Posted Image

• KennyMc

Posted February 22, 2008 - 07:50 AM

If you think yours was hard you should have tryed mine with the rack in the way too , it was a real pain

Posted Image

Yeah, with that setup, I would probably have to get my neighbor to help. As the saying goes, nice rack!

Also, thanks for the info on the triple clamps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sts475

Posted February 22, 2008 - 07:59 AM

Hi there!

If any of you are using the BRP Scott's steering damper mount, You need to know that the tank will not rest on the backbone of the frame. I bought two extra rubber saddles from Yamaha and cut and fit them to support the tank.
I rubber cemented them together and zip tied them on.

Good Luck!

STS.

• Dirtnerd

Posted February 22, 2008 - 08:46 AM

I had the same problem with my 08 wr, I used washers between the mounting bracket and the tank(under the seat) to get it to fit better. I also had to make the holes for the petcock bigger, there was no way it would fit. I also put a new seat cover on (really tight) and it fits better against the tank now and does not get pushed up as bad.

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 22, 2008 - 08:46 AM

Extend the "key-hole" on your seat pan a little, this will allow the seat to slide up further a little bit.. a dremmel will work just fine. Where the post mounts to the tank is a little farther back than stock, 1/4" or so.

The fit and finish up front is poor but it is a YZ tank.... hopefully the tank mfg's will have a WR specific tank some time this decade!

• KennyMc

Posted February 22, 2008 - 09:16 AM

Hi there!

If any of you are using the BRP Scott's steering damper mount, You need to know that the tank will not rest on the backbone of the frame. I bought two extra rubber saddles from Yamaha and cut and fit them to support the tank.
I rubber cemented them together and zip tied them on.

Good Luck!

STS.

Yeah, the instructuions say to shim the gap with washers. I put in 1 extra washer and it worked fine.:smirk:

• fitzy

Posted February 22, 2008 - 01:40 PM

If you undo the screw on the tank that the seat slides into and put 2-3 washers under it and screw it back on the seat will slip on just like the stocker. Took me a while to figure out what was going on but this fixes it. No need to cut your seat!!!! I use a wr400 fuel tap and CRF fuel line

• alburito

Posted February 22, 2008 - 08:16 PM

thanks all i'll try that.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.