Offroad front meat questions.

22 replies to this topic
  • sploogemonkey

Posted February 21, 2008 - 04:57 PM

For the SoCal off roaders in the house........

I have some very basic front tire questions.

At what point are the knobs rounded off enough to necessitate a tire change? My fronts seem to last forever, or at least I can't seem to notice any discernable degradation in traction quality. I'm thinking that maybe it's time to change when all the knobs have lost all of the squared corners. I eat about 3 or 4 rear tires before I change the front. Is this normal, or am I just stupid/cheap/lazy?

Now here's a real basic question that I need to ask. I run 18-20 psi on real rocky rides, 12-14 psi on soft (sandy) rides. Is this about average, or am I way off?

Lastly, what's a good front tire for SoCal desert running. I know that's a loaded question, cause on any given ride I can be in rocks/hardpack and long sand washes.

Opinions?

• knuklehead

Posted February 21, 2008 - 05:11 PM

I love Dunlap 755 for the front, seem to work good everware, even tho it rated soft terrain.

• cleonard

Posted February 21, 2008 - 05:13 PM

I find that traction drops with increasing pressure. I usually run about 15 if I know that I'm not going to be going really fast. I'll run up to 18 for high speed. I used to go lower, but I started getting pinch flats.

I tend to run the fronts for a long time. I ride rocky stuff so the limiting thing for me is the side knobs getting ripped off or at least mostly torn. That really reduces traction. Otherwise I usually run them until they start showing a lot of wear.

I have settled on the Dunlop 756 on the front. Works well everywhere. I run a Maxxis Desert IT on the rear, mainly for it's long life and decent traction.

• slowxr

Posted February 21, 2008 - 05:26 PM

I've been doing alot of 600-700 mile weekends lately. Lot's of 5th gear rocky/sandy stuff.
I seem to be the only one getting pinch flats. I got 5 in one day.

So I switched to the Bridgestone Ultra thick tubes which were way thicker the the others I'd been running. And I've increased my front pressure to 20lbs, which increases to about 24lbs after the tire heats up. I don't notice much difference in traction but I'm still getting pinch flats. I haven't found the perfect tire, tube, pressure combo yet.

• cleonard

Posted February 21, 2008 - 08:10 PM

I've been doing alot of 600-700 mile weekends lately. Lot's of 5th gear rocky/sandy stuff.

So I switched to the Bridgestone Ultra thick tubes which were way thicker the the others I'd been running. And I've increased my front pressure to 20lbs, which increases to about 24lbs after the tire heats up. I don't notice much difference in traction but I'm still getting pinch flats. I haven't found the perfect tire, tube, pressure combo yet.

Holy cow, you're an animal to get pinch flats at 20+psi!!! I find if I just slow down a little I can miss almost all the rocks. It's trying to go fast in my buddies dust that leads to lots of pinch flats. Kind of hard to keep up the necessary level on concentration for a 500 mile weekend.

• martinfan30

Posted February 21, 2008 - 08:15 PM

I find that traction drops with increasing pressure. I usually run about 15 if I know that I'm not going to be going really fast. I'll run up to 18 for high speed. I used to go lower, but I started getting pinch flats.

I tend to run the fronts for a long time. I ride rocky stuff so the limiting thing for me is the side knobs getting ripped off or at least mostly torn. That really reduces traction. Otherwise I usually run them until they start showing a lot of wear.

I have settled on the Dunlop 756 on the front. Works well everywhere. I run a Maxxis Desert IT on the rear, mainly for it's long life and decent traction.

Are either of these DOT approved?

• xr650l bum

Posted February 21, 2008 - 08:16 PM

Do you have something covering the nipples inside the rim. I like to duct tape the inside of the rim. It seems to help.

• cleonard

Posted February 21, 2008 - 09:48 PM

Are either of these DOT approved?

No they are not. I don't really do a lot of pavement so it's max traction for me. The 756 does OK on the road, but they don't hold up well. The desert IT is a really long lived tire, up there with your MT21's. I think that it could be DOT if they submitted it. It has at least as stiff a carcass as a MT21 or a 606. It is a real pain to change that's for sure.

• sploogemonkey

Posted February 21, 2008 - 10:31 PM

Cleonard,

I'm considering fitting a new front before the April camp out. Since I know that you ride some of the same areas I do, I'll give the Dunlop 756 some serious consideration.

knuklehead, have you experienced any chunking of the knobs on hard pack or real rocky terrain with the 755?

• Troy_Bell

Posted February 22, 2008 - 08:50 AM

Typically, you will go through several rears before needing to replace the front. Since the rear is the drive wheel, it gets more punishment than the front. The torque of the engine is constantly trying to tear the knobs off the tire. If it has been many years since a front tire change, I would inspect it for rubber deterioration and cracking. If you see this, then obviously it would be a good idea to change it. When I had my 650R, I went through about 9 rears and 2 fronts.

I run between 14-16 psi which seems to work well for me.

I have tried DOT front tires since my bike was dual sported, but they were horrible in the dirt. The stock 739 works much better, and is actually not bad on pavement either.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Agent2

Posted February 22, 2008 - 09:24 AM

I have been running Pirelli MT18HD tires on the front for a few years now, great tire and DOT approved for you dual sport guys. There is a MT18 and a MT18HD - the HD is the one you want.

• hill5150

Posted February 22, 2008 - 09:31 AM

I run the Maxxis Desert HT front and rear, use them on the street as well, the front always lasts longer, but change the rear often due to alot of high speed dez and rocks. The 650 eats tires. Tire pressure is always in the higher range and have real good luck not getting flats, you just need to stay on the gas in the sand.....:smirk: ...I will air down the front at Glamis though......

• hondacrf150f1

Posted February 22, 2008 - 09:43 AM

i run the suggested 15 pounds for off-roading...when i do dirt roads i pump them up to 18-20. Gota ride some blacktop to go from dirt to dirt.

• xr650l bum

Posted February 22, 2008 - 11:55 AM

What about the michellin starcross 90/100 21? I was down comparing lots of different front tires and it stood out as the widest front tire.

• drex

Posted February 22, 2008 - 04:04 PM

I had been running Maxxis (desert?) on the front for a year or so and was gettingwashout. I though I was just riding wrong. Then a buddy borrowed my rims for an aborted Baja 1000 race this year and put Dunlop 606 on it. Wow! Front in much better. Noticeably stickier in the usual so cal desert riding. Don't like the rear too much though. Never tried the Pirelli but have heard good things. Usually like D739 and Maxxis Desert on the rear.

FWIW

• scalejockey

Posted February 22, 2008 - 05:10 PM

I put on a bridgestone 401A for the front this last time around.This tire STICKS! Someone told me this is the one that comes on the kxf450?

• knuklehead

Posted February 22, 2008 - 07:33 PM

Cleonard,

I'm considering fitting a new front before the April camp out. Since I know that you ride some of the same areas I do, I'll give the Dunlop 756 some serious consideration.

knuklehead, have you experienced any chunking of the knobs on hard pack or real rocky terrain with the 755?

No more than any tire pushed hard in the rocks,All tho 20" 756 I've ran in the past on a CRF450 would chunk in one ride, not sure if the 21 does.

• DBM

Posted February 24, 2008 - 05:23 PM

I have been using the Pirelli MT44 (DOT) for many years with great results. I run a super HD enduro tube with 18-20 psi. This tire works very well on a vast variety of terrain.

DBM

• martinfan30

Posted February 25, 2008 - 08:01 AM

Does anyone use a MT21 in the dez sand?

• Thumpage

Posted February 28, 2008 - 08:24 PM

Does anyone use a MT21 in the dez sand?

Yes,.. well kind of. A custom 12 paddle Skat Trak made from a MT21 carcuss. :smirk:
Posted Image

Don't mind me on this response, I know this is a 'front' tire thread. I just thought to add a little fun.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.