Engine rebuild ?'s

15 replies to this topic
  • zimak

Posted February 21, 2008 - 10:40 AM

Ok got most of the stuff in needed to rebuild the motor now (blown rings from a previous thread).
New valve seals in, new Wiseco piston/rings and all needed gaskets.
Couple questions before I get into it too far.
1. What grade/color of loctite to use on the engine bolts?
2. Manual says to apply Moly on the cam. I picked up some but where exactly on the cam do I apply it? Lobes only?
3. Cam chain tensioner lifter...what is it..do I need it, and how can I work around not having a special tool? I didnt realize when pulling it, that going back in would need resetting or pulling? How do I get it properly back installed?
4. Cylinder head shows in manual not having a standard gasket, what is the prefered "liquid gasket" you guys use on this?
5. Oil jet, just pops back in. Does it have to have the slot and that knotch oriented in any specific way or just seated fully?

Thanks guys.

• Thumpmeister

Posted February 21, 2008 - 11:23 AM

On the head studs/bolts I believe the manual said not to use locktite. At least when I rebuilt my 650R thats what it said. It depends on your bike. But, for the other stuff, you will want the high temp stuff. I believe its the red locktite.

I believe the moly is applied mostly just to the lobes/wear surfaces. You shouldn't put it in the bearings.

What kind of bike do you have? The bike model makes a difference in tensioner style. For example, a 650R is going to have a different tensioner than a old XL 600.

Are you talking about the gasket that goes between the head and the cylinder, or the gasket between the valve cover and the head? Once again, this depends on the bike, because the 650R you will have to smear liquid gasket all over the mating surfaces.

I'm not familiar w/ the oil jet, so I wouldn't be able to talk about it.

Hope this helps.

• zimak

Posted February 21, 2008 - 11:36 AM

2006 XR650R

All of the mating surfaces? I have the gasket for the bottom of the cylinder and the metal head gasket but nothing for the top. There wasnt one on there either just looked like liquid gasket when I pulled it off.

• Thumpmeister

Posted February 21, 2008 - 08:14 PM

You only apply the liquid gasket for the valve cover, not to the other mating surfaces that have gaskets. Your right, there is no gasket for the valve cover, just liquid gasket.

And as for you tensioner, you DO need it. The service manual says to make a special little key to hold the tensioner back. I think the method they used is a little overly complicated. All you need is a small flathead, and use that to retract the tensioner. The downside is, is you need to hold the screwdriver in place so that the tensioner will not extend back out while you install it.

Thumpertalk has a manual cam chain tensioner you can buy, but the stocker seems to work just fine. Mine has been through a rebuild, and it hasn't failed me yet...

• zimak

Posted February 22, 2008 - 06:30 AM

Cool thanks man.

Any answers about the oil jet?

• zimak

Posted February 22, 2008 - 05:14 PM

Another fast question.
What did you guys use for ring orientation (not the oil rings I got that in the Wiseco instructions) but the regular compression rings?

They had nothing in the instructions for how to do the orientation on those.

• dylanr

Posted February 22, 2008 - 06:31 PM

My manual said to put the ring gaps opposite of eachother, and the oil ring gaps one inch from eachother, just make sure none of the gaps line up. When i put my chain tensioner in, i used a screwdriver to retract it, then i held the screwdriver in my teeth, and bolted on the tensioner. As far as the gaskets go, i got a paper bottom gasket for between the cylinder and the case, and a metal gasket for between the cylinder and the valve head, i got parinoid, and put hi temp gasket maker on the metal gasket, not sure if i was supposed to, but i couldnt believe that metal gasket could make a perfect seal. then i used the hi temp gasket maker on the head too. I hope you gapped your rings!
Oh yeah, i also moly lubed the piss out of everything so it would have some lube when i started it.

• zimak

Posted February 22, 2008 - 07:04 PM

Weird the instructions with the Wiseco piston said to line up the oil rings with the wrist pin and the center oil ring (the wavey one) 90 degrees from that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dylanr

Posted February 22, 2008 - 07:07 PM

Well, do what youre manual says, but im pretty sure mine said 1 inch apart with the wavy ones gap in between. is yours a 10.5:1 compression or 11:1?

• zimak

Posted February 22, 2008 - 07:16 PM

Its stock compression, its just not an OEM piston and rings. Only 2 rings on mine as opposed to the 3 on the OEM that call for 120 deg of separation.
I have them 180 just wasnt sure where to orient them. I know not over the wrist pin but your also not supposed to go 90 degrees from the wrist pin correct? Like on the thickest part of the piston?

• dylanr

Posted February 22, 2008 - 07:47 PM

mine is a wiseco stock compression which is 10.5:1, but its a 102.4mm so its not standard bore size. i followed the instructions that came with the piston, and didnt see anything about ring orientation, i didnt think it mattered as long as none of the gaps were lined up. it seems to run so far with 100 miles on it. when you put the circlip in for the wrist pin, make sure it doent open upwards.

• zimak

Posted February 22, 2008 - 07:59 PM

Interesting, why is that?

Instructions that came with mine seemed to be for a 2t for some reason.

• dylanr

Posted February 22, 2008 - 08:20 PM

what you mean by 2t??

• martinfan30

Posted February 22, 2008 - 09:18 PM

what you mean by 2t??

• zimak

Posted February 23, 2008 - 07:06 AM

Yeah mine came with instructions for setting stuff up in accordance with where the "power valve" etc was. All 2t stuff.

So followed the instructions for the oil rings.
2 rings, each one gap centered in line with wrist pin.
Wavy ring in middle 90 degrees, facing exhaust, front end of bike.

Top compression ring 45degree's off from wrist pin.
Bottom compression ring 180 degrees from the top ring.

• zimak

Posted February 23, 2008 - 08:15 AM

Yeah so....nevermind.

Figured it out. Thanks dylanr

Related Content

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.