Chain advise/opinions

11 replies to this topic
  • martinfan30

Posted February 21, 2008 - 10:17 AM

Just ordered a set of JT sprockets (14/46). Just a hair lower than my 15/48.
3.29 vs 3.2.

I actually want your advise and opinions on which chain to buy. 520-110.

Thanks,

Judge.

• Agent2

Posted February 21, 2008 - 11:05 AM

Personal opinion, if money is no object - DID X Ring Gold, if you are a cheap b*****d like me - Primary Drive X Ring.
Now the 64 dollar question, clipped or staked link?

• cleonard

Posted February 21, 2008 - 11:54 AM

The last chain that I had was a RK RDO and it lasted 5 or 6 (7?) years. Then I replaced it with a Primary Drive O-ring chain. Check my Avatar as to what happened to that chain. It didn't last a year. They actually stood behind their product and refunded the price of that chain. I replaced it with the X-ring version and it is much heavier duty. It's been working fine since I got it.

Any of the big brand chains are good. I have a preference for DID and Tsubaki.

• XR4DEZ

Posted February 21, 2008 - 04:41 PM

I go through a chain a season and have found the DID VM X- Ring to be very good. Sunstar steel sprockets are also very good. A season for me is about 5K miles of desert riding.

• rhythmofbeing

Posted February 22, 2008 - 08:07 AM

Broke the master link on a Parts Unlimited O-ring. That was an emergency buy and I was told it was an EK. After it broke I researched the part number and was not happy to find that I had been mislead.

Now it's an RK XSO and so far so good. This on a supermoto with no cush drive.

• philipstjohn

Posted February 22, 2008 - 08:29 AM

the DID ERV3 or (V2) or the RK 520 Gold X ring are two of my top choices... might be a little over kill for the "L"...hahaha :smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted February 22, 2008 - 02:03 PM

Thanks for all the input fellas.:smirk:

I settled on JT sprockets and an RK 520XSO chain.

• Frank ZX

Posted February 22, 2008 - 05:29 PM

Judge,I think one of the most important things to rember is we ride torque monsters,so tensel strength is very important.I've got to get new sprockets and a chain soon.I heard that aluminum sprockets are too soft for the torque of a large 4 stroke.

• XR4DEZ

Posted February 22, 2008 - 08:35 PM

Judge,I think one of the most important things to rember is we ride torque monsters,so tensel strength is very important.I've got to get new sprockets and a chain soon.I heard that aluminum sprockets are too soft for the torque of a large 4 stroke.

I could go through 5 aluminum sprockets to 1 Sunstar steel. I just bought a new rim, sprocket and rotor for the R off Ebay, the sprocket did not last the life of 2 tires and that's less than a thousand miles.

• philipstjohn

Posted February 23, 2008 - 06:08 AM

I could go through 5 aluminum sprockets to 1 Sunstar steel. I just bought a new rim, sprocket and rotor for the R off Ebay, the sprocket did not last the life of 2 tires and that's less than a thousand miles.

Have you tried the Ironman Sprockets? Which steel Sunstar sprockets are you using? The standard stock model or the Works 2 stainless steel model?

• HeadTrauma

Posted February 23, 2008 - 01:35 PM

Thanks for all the input fellas.:smirk:

I settled on JT sprockets and an RK 520XSO chain.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I have a handful of favorite brands that include Regina, RK, DID, and one or two others I forgot. There's a DID on my 600 right now with Renthal sprockets.

• XR4DEZ

Posted February 23, 2008 - 04:12 PM

Have you tried the Ironman Sprockets? Which steel Sunstar sprockets are you using? The standard stock model or the Works 2 stainless steel model?

Just the plain $35 steel sprocket. I tried a Sidewinder once and it did not last as long as the Sunstar and was more than twice the price.
:smirk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.