Street Legal WR450F in Kansas?

1 reply to this topic
  • MarshalGiles

Posted February 21, 2008 - 07:42 AM

I'm thinking of getting a WR450f and making it street legal here in Kansas. Is there anyone that has done it here? I know how to add the signals, lights, horn, etc, but I'm more worried about the title aspect of it. Will the state of Kansas even allow this? Does anyone have experience with this? Tips, suggestions? Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtysouth

Posted February 21, 2008 - 09:27 AM

I'm thinking of getting a WR450f and making it street legal here in Kansas. Is there anyone that has done it here? I know how to add the signals, lights, horn, etc, but I'm more worried about the title aspect of it. Will the state of Kansas even allow this? Does anyone have experience with this? Tips, suggestions? Thanks

Check with the DMV in Kansas to see if they will accept for title a MSO (manufacturers statement of origin) that is designated as "Off Road Only" so long as you meet all of the states requirements for inpection. That would be the easiest way if it was a go.

You have to get inspection in Kansas right? So check this link to be sure that you meet state requirements. AMA
There are a lot of ways to go around this though if Kansas legislature becomes a roadblock. For instance, any bike made after 73 in Kansas must meet these requirements. Say you broke down your bike and customized it using parts from a 1972 Yamaha you found at a junkyard...Now you are riding a 72 bike and can register it (72 VIN) so long as you meet the states requirements for that section of the legislative code (read carefully first)...Now you ride..Or check with a custom bike shop (usually choppers)...see if they can guide you through the process they use..and again you register and ride...One more...buy your bike in MS (will accept an off road only MSO) and work with the dealer (or if you have family in MS go that way)...see if he will go through the motions of registering/titleing that bike in MS (buy it, then sell it to him, and then let him sell it back to you post titleing) then Kansas [COLOR="Red"]should[/COLOR] transfer the title in. At this point the bike will be a 'new bike' in Kansas so you may check trail tech to see what they offer as far as blinkers, horn and all. All you really need is a brakelight, headlight, speedo and a mirror in most cases when it comes to older bikes and in some states like MS. Kansas is a whole nuther animal though so check...then you ride.

Heres a cool front light that incorporates blinkers...Frostbite runs this light and says its good...he rides the arctic too..

Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.