How hard do you push your bike?

4 replies to this topic
  • Skithis

Posted February 21, 2008 - 07:20 AM

Im wondering how hard you guys push your bike? Do you run on the rev limiter all the time? Is it ok to run up to the rev limiter? I just dont beat on my bike very hard, actually I hardly ever give her hell. Im just wondering if i need to be changing by oil as often as you guys. Same with valve checks.

• KJ790

Posted February 21, 2008 - 07:36 AM

My bike is above 8000 RPM about 80% of the time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted February 21, 2008 - 07:39 AM

I hit the rev limiter on occasion. Bike power curve is well on the downswing well before, thus signaling a shift. The only time I ride a lot past Hp/torque peak is when I am close to a corner and an upshift would be followed microseconds later by a down shift or two. The time wasted shifting is more than made up by continuing the WOT past peak.
There is nothing to gain, speed to lose if you always ride to the limiter. Locate a dyno graph. Where the Hp and torque curves peak, is well below redline. You want to shift shortly after that, ideally where the upshift will plop you on the graph curve at the same horizontal point, just on the other side of the curve.

• grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2008 - 09:33 AM

The rev limit is set where it is (11,500) because it is a speed well above the power peak that a YZ450 in good mechanical condition can safely tolerate. It can be said both that "it won't hurt it", and that "it isn't good for it", with equal accuracy. As William points out, there's also no real point in doing it, since peak power occurs at 8500 and the power has dropped off sharply by the time it hits 11,000.

As to your larger question regarding maintenance, I base my maintenance intervals entirely on the severity of the use to which the bike is put, but I don't at any time exceed my maximum oil change interval, which is 3 ride days of any kind. I feel like I can afford $9 worth of oil to keep my $5000 motorcycle in good shape.

• motoscotty

Posted February 22, 2008 - 04:37 PM

I run my bikes pretty hard like 3x's a week when it's not pouring that is and keep fresh oil and never had any motor probs. good oil and clean fresh air filter/oil filter goes a long way.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.