Negative effects of mixing eg and pg coolants?

6 replies to this topic
  • jams229

Posted February 21, 2008 - 07:00 AM

Just curious after reading a few threads on antifreezes, is it ok to mix
ethylene glycol-based coolants with propylene glycol-based coolants?
Or will the effectiveness be compromised? I have Silkolene Pro Cool (pg)
and Maxima Coolanol (eg). According to the service manual for my '07 WR450
the bike came with an eg-based coolant.
Thanks,
Jim

• dirtysouth

Posted February 21, 2008 - 07:10 AM

Just curious after reading a few threads on antifreezes, is it ok to mix
ethylene glycol-based coolants with propylene glycol-based coolants?
Or will the effectiveness be compromised? I have Silkolene Pro Cool (pg)
and Maxima Coolanol (eg). According to the service manual for my '07 WR450
the bike came with an eg-based coolant.
Thanks,
Jim

I had a question regarding this and called the Silkolene Tech Rep in the USA (Jim Ricci). He told me that the Ethylene glycol and Propylene glycol will mix without compromising effectiveness. He said that I could top off with silkolene at which point I told him I was draining and was curious as to whether I needed to flush my system first. He said absolutely not:thumbsup:

• jams229

Posted February 21, 2008 - 06:30 PM

Thanks for the response, ds. Good to know.
Jim

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brad the best

Posted February 21, 2008 - 11:03 PM

i don't know about those brands , but when i was in my last heavy duty mechanics year 2nd we mixed pre-mix eg wtih pg to make a nice cup of jello .

seen it with my own eyes , a big ol cup of jello

• dirtysouth

Posted February 22, 2008 - 06:19 AM

i don't know about those brands , but when i was in my last heavy duty mechanics year 2nd we mixed pre-mix eg wtih pg to make a nice cup of jello .

seen it with my own eyes , a big ol cup of jello

Talked to a guy about this at Houghton Chemical corporation who works in the heat transfer fluid laboratory. His response was that the actual EG and PG will not react. The additive packages in various coolants may react but that is subject to individual manufacturers additives...may want to check into this a bit deeper... but Silkolenes guy was confident when I spoke with him. You could just mix some in a cup and let it sit to see what happens. Probably nothing though.

• jams229

Posted February 22, 2008 - 03:42 PM

Interesting. The coolant in the overflow is definitely not jello. I will check the radiators tomorrow...

• brad the best

Posted February 22, 2008 - 10:57 PM

ya im just sorta saying don't do it in your car . i don't mix any coolants personally .

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.