R and D Powerbowl Feedback

10 replies to this topic
  • dazzabb

Posted February 21, 2008 - 05:04 AM

A wee bit of feedback on the R and D Powerbowl some of you may be interested in.

I bought the PB because I was getting bored of changing leak jets trying to optimise the AP and also because of stalling problems I used to encounter when the bike was hot, particularly when cresting steep rises and then landing on the flat. A number of magazines had extolled the virtues of this thing so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Installation was pretty easy with the new updated instructions, the older instructions did leave room for a bit of guesswork though.

Performance wise I am very happy, not with the billions of extra horsepower but with how well / easy I can fine tune the AP via the adjustable leak jet.
Stalling, once a fairly regular occurrence when the bike was hot has been virtually eliminated. It now also idles very smoothly even though I thought I had already set mt pilot circuit up pretty well.

Overall a pretty good buy I reckon.

• beezer

Posted February 21, 2008 - 06:46 AM

I wonder what if anything the PB had to do with the idleing but it sounds like the thing worked for you.

A piece of bling that actually does what it says it will do!

That is very rare indeed!

• huffster

Posted February 21, 2008 - 06:48 AM

Merge Racing has a better alternative...

• William1

Posted February 21, 2008 - 07:33 AM

On the alloy framed bikes, leak jet swapping is a nightmare. The adjustable leak jet of the powerbowl on these bikes makes a worthwhile investment. The difference between the R&D and Merge is pretty small and those that have used both have reported no discernible difference in performance. Technically, the Merge is a more correct method. But the Merge is permanent on your float bowl. as you have to drill into it. To remove it requires float bowl replacement. If you use the powerbowl, you can remove it, install the stock AP cover and then install the powerbowl on another carb. For example, you use the powerbowl to figure the leak jet. Once you know (by the amount you turned the adjusting screw) what size leak jet you need, you could remove the powerbowl, install a leak jet of the proper size and then reuse the powerbowl on another FCR.

Both systems will have no effect on idle.

• dazzabb

Posted February 21, 2008 - 07:59 AM

+1 on the Merge, I personally don't want to be drilling float bowls.

[quote name='William1']Once you know (by the amount you turned the adjusting screw) what size leak jet you need, you could remove the powerbowl, install a leak jet of the proper size and then reuse the powerbowl on another FCR.

Hey William I had never thought of that, my thinking was that I was gonna keep it on the WR and see if it required tweaking from time to time, but as you say finding the proper LJ size then swapping to another bike makes perfect sense. Saves $240 too. Good call!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtysouth

Posted February 22, 2008 - 09:46 AM

On the alloy framed bikes, leak jet swapping is a nightmare. The adjustable leak jet of the powerbowl on these bikes makes a worthwhile investment. The difference between the R&D and Merge is pretty small and those that have used both have reported no discernible difference in performance. Technically, the Merge is a more correct method. But the Merge is permanent on your float bowl. as you have to drill into it. To remove it requires float bowl replacement. If you use the powerbowl, you can remove it, install the stock AP cover and then install the powerbowl on another carb. For example, you use the powerbowl to figure the leak jet. Once you know (by the amount you turned the adjusting screw) what size leak jet you need, you could remove the powerbowl, install a leak jet of the proper size and then reuse the powerbowl on another FCR.

Both systems will have no effect on idle.

Why not just use the same logic and keep the Merge installing the correct leak jet on the other FCR? Saves mo money... Only difference is that you would have an extra float bowl to look at with the powerbowl option:excuseme:

• William1

Posted February 22, 2008 - 11:41 AM

You could do that too. But one way or another, you have to have a spare bowl. This also assumes you have both bikes in your garage. Some have to sell one to have the coin to buy the next. Often that results in a period of no bike in the garage.

• tweav

Posted February 22, 2008 - 09:33 PM

I know I really like my powerbowl . I was sick and tired of pulling the bike in half. and I did not feel like drilling holes in my old bowl , so I could switch it back if I want to was a good selling point too

• huffster

Posted February 26, 2008 - 06:05 AM

A brand new bowl is less than $ 50.00 and I'm sure used ones can be found on fleabay....The hole is tiny and only acts as a breather hole so the excess fuel cancycle back into the bowl. The R & D is a nice piece, but using billet for the float bowl is bad in warm regions as it can cause some heat retention and cause even worse problems. That's been my experience. The cast material of the stock bowl actually dissipates heat better than the billet. This is why most of the factory guys that were running the powerbowl have now switched to the Merge ALJ.

• dirtysouth

Posted February 26, 2008 - 07:23 AM

A brand new bowl is less than $ 50.00 and I'm sure used ones can be found on fleabay....The hole is tiny and only acts as a breather hole so the excess fuel cancycle back into the bowl. The R & D is a nice piece, but using billet for the float bowl is bad in warm regions as it can cause some heat retention and cause even worse problems. That's been my experience. The cast material of the stock bowl actually dissipates heat better than the billet. This is why most of the factory guys that were running the powerbowl have now switched to the Merge ALJ.

Good Info:thumbsup:

• tweav

Posted February 26, 2008 - 03:39 PM

by the way they are not billit any more they are cast with a billit pump cover like the merge.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.